Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is baltimore more like northern or southern cities?
yes, like Philly 105 91.30%
no, its more like Richmond, Atl 10 8.70%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:05 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,755 times

Advertisements

Philly.... it's nothing like the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 12:17 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Philly and Baltimore do look very similar, especially in many of the residential neighborhoods, their downtwons are different and by fee they are pretty close. I guess they should be at their closest borders on a straight line they are about 75 miles apart, probably closer to 85 or so driving miles.

Cool part is truly with no traffic you can realistically get between them in about 90 minutes
i made the trip in an hour, but i did between 80-100mph most of the way.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:03 PM

322 posts, read 614,631 times
ok technically speaking baltimore is part of the south but in no way, shape, or form is baltimore southern. maybe its considered southern by new yorkers but its nothing like atlanta or richmond. D.C is the south but i kinda consider D.C to be its own little section because it has such a mixture of southern and north eastern culture.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:49 PM

457 posts, read 1,108,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
ok technically speaking baltimore is part of the south but in no way, shape, or form is baltimore southern. maybe its considered southern by new yorkers but its nothing like atlanta or richmond. D.C is the south but i kinda consider D.C to be its own little section because it has such a mixture of southern and north eastern culture.
I never really understand why so many people think Baltimore is in no way southern, but DC is? There only 40 miles apart.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
I never really understand why so many people think Baltimore is in no way southern, but DC is? There only 40 miles apart.
That same way people think northern new jersey is so different from nyc when there right across the river from each other. Alot changes in the 40 miles that seperate Baltimore and DC; moreso than the differences Baltimore and Philly.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:41 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Baltimore is very similar to Philly in its makeup and design but that doesnt necessarily make it a northeast city imo.

The "northeast" for me ends in Wilmington/Newark De.Then there is a 75 mile stretch of rural/suburban landscape. That gap through northern Md is what seperates the northeast from the mid atlantic.

Citywise- Baltimore strongly resembles Philadlephia

Areawise- Baltimore is more closely associated with Washington/Richmond than Philly and points N

That is the big misconception that people bring to this discussion, that because it is a short rural stretch between Baltimore and Philly that your automatically switching regions...All along Route 40 in South New Jersey in route to Atlantic City there is a long rural stretch, does that put it in the South? When I drive up I-95 to Philly or NJ and hit Wilmington or Chester i never take a deep breath and say "Now im in the North" That would make me feel kinda funny actually. Now I will say when riding south in VA towards Richmond I do start to get that type of feeling around Fredericksburg.

It's all the same region, just different levels of it, from DC-Bmore, to Delaware-Philly, then NJ and up. It kicks me how people will be so emphatic and say how strongly they believe Baltimore is Northeastern, but DC is 35 miles south and Southern. What makes it so different? the city is "Grittier??" There are more boarded up row homes in Baltimore therefore it is more Northern?? Is it because DC's downtown is cleaner, or has no skyscrapers?? There is no real White blue collar population in DC therefore it is geographically placed as south?? Baltimore is not faster pace than DC which is what these forums always have categorized as NE characteristics. Nobody in DC has a southern accent, these factors that people are categorizing are contradicting one another and don't add up to making sense to the argument IMO.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That is the big misconception that people bring to this discussion, that because it is a short rural stretch between Baltimore and Philly that your automatically switching regions...All along Route 40 in South New Jersey in route to Atlantic City there is a long rural stretch, does that put it in the South? When I drive up I-95 to Philly or NJ and hit Wilmington or Chester i never take a deep breath and say "Now im in the North" That would make me feel kinda funny actually. Now I will say when riding south in VA towards Richmond I do start to get that type of feeling around Fredericksburg.

It's all the same region, just different levels of it, from DC-Bmore, to Delaware-Philly, then NJ and up. It kicks me how people will be so emphatic and say how strongly they believe Baltimore is Northeastern, but DC is 35 miles south and Southern. What makes it so different? the city is "Grittier??" There are more boarded up row homes in Baltimore therefore it is more Northern?? Is it because DC's downtown is cleaner, or has no skyscrapers?? There is no real White blue collar population in DC therefore it is geographically placed as south?? Baltimore is not faster pace than DC which is what these forums always have categorized as NE characteristics. Nobody in DC has a southern accent, these factors that people are categorizing are contradicting one another and don't add up to making sense to the argument IMO.
"Now I will say when riding south in VA towards Richmond I do start to get that type of feeling around Fredericksburg."
i agree 100%

What makes it so different?
accents
The layout of the cities
The pace of the two cities are different, dc is faster.
both are rowhouse cities, but DC's rowhomes look alot like richmond IMO

BALTMORE and DC are different just like PHILLY AND NYC. they are just closer.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:39 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Just to clarify the rural stretch between Philly and AC is mostly because it is the Pine Barrens a 25 mile stretch where is it Illegal to build - at either end of the preserved Illegally built on land the development goes directly to the border.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:37 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
Lets try this again...

Is Baltimore more like the northern cities (Philly, Newark, etc)

or more like southern cities (Atlanta, Charlotte, Richmond)?
Baltimore resembles Northern Cities but Baltimore is a Southern City.........

There are parts of Alexandria, VA that resembles Northern New Jersey, parts of Richmond, Newport News, and Norfolk that resembles Philly and Newark.........

Old 11-13-2010, 10:39 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It could be mistaken for a chunk of ol' NYC, methinks.

That can easily look like parts of Downtown Atlanta "methinks"........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City