Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is baltimore more like northern or southern cities?
yes, like Philly 105 91.30%
no, its more like Richmond, Atl 10 8.70%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 11:10 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
It really is a cute little settlement by the creek(but its almost a village!).

Baltimore | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/archibabble/3071022/ - broken link)
Looking at its overall size, I'd think I was in Birmingham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Aight let me chime in here...

First off... NO!... bad resident 09

Atlanta's msa is 2x larger than Baltimores and has much taller and more frequent high-rise skyscrappers skyline. The tallest building in B-more is the Leggs Mason building... Atlanta has more than 20 buildings larger than that! Even though Baltimore has a lot of classic connected townhomes and lowrises... Atlanta clobbers Baltimore in high-rises and mid-rises.

Atlanta:

downtown

midtown

Buckhead:

You can drive from downtown to Buckhead, a 40 minutes deive w/o traffic, and it's back to back skycrappers (with a 2 minute gap at lignburg) and recently there has been a rapid influx of classic connected townhomes and brownstones in the suburbs even as far as Lithonia.

Atlanta suburbs

Marietta:

Decatur:

Lithonia:

Sandy Springs:

B-more

Baltimore is not more urban than Atlanta. You can throw all the density stats you want. Atlanta is a much bigger city with a much bigger economy. Atlanta is more urban. Tell me what suburb in Baltimore (or anywhere) looks like Atlanta????
It is kind of silly to even suggest that Baltimore is more urban than Atlanta. It has a denser city proper, but it pales in comparison to the overall size, both population-wise, and physical built environment of Atlanta. It's like trying to claim that Atlanta is more urban than New York City.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:16 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Quote:

Atlanta's msa is 2x larger than Baltimores and has much taller and more frequent high-rise skyscrappers skyline. The tallest building in B-more is the Leggs Mason building... Atlanta has more than 20 buildings larger than that! Even though Baltimore has a lot of classic connected townhomes and lowrises... Atlanta clobbers Baltimore in high-rises and mid-rises.

Atlanta:

downtown

midtown

Buckhead:

You can drive from downtown to Buckhead, a 40 minutes deive w/o traffic, and it's back to back skycrappers (with a 2 minute gap at lignburg) and recently there has been a rapid influx of classic connected townhomes and brownstones in the suburbs even as far as Lithonia.

Atlanta suburbs

Marietta:

Decatur:

Lithonia:

Sandy Springs:

B-more

Baltimore is not more urban than Atlanta. You can throw all the density stats you want. Atlanta is a much bigger city with a much bigger economy. Atlanta is more urban. Tell me what suburb in Baltimore (or anywhere) looks like Atlanta????
Very good points...

If its not a problem with you I may want to use your point in a another Messageboard that I am debating on in the Subject of retaining abandoned old Buildings(some are embarrassingly calling them historic) vs. Demolishing the old abandoning buildings in Downtown Baltimore to make way for new future development and business/economic growth for the city............

Old 11-14-2010, 11:22 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
It is kind of silly to even suggest that Baltimore is more urban than Atlanta. It has a denser city proper, but it pales in comparison to the overall size, both population-wise, and physical built environment of Atlanta. It's like trying to claim that Atlanta is more urban than New York City.
I remember some years ago they were talking about building more subways(extending out to Cobb County and Gwinnett County) and stating a New Commuter Rail Lines to the Outer Suburbs as far south aas Macon and as Far North as Chattanooga and Greenville.

Do you or anyone else have any updates on the fruition of expanding the proposed Rapid Transit Projects??????????

Old 11-14-2010, 11:46 AM

725 posts, read 1,510,651 times
Here is my take on the matter.

Yes Baltimore is in the south. Historically and Georgraphically.

Is Baltimore different from the rest of the south?... yes, but it always has been. Virgina and Maryland were historically the wealth centers of the south. Baltimore was the center of commerce and banking for the south as it grew to become the 2nd largest city before the civil war. It's role diminished with the emergance of Atlanta and Charlotte and competition from NYC.

Is Baltimore closer to the north than the south... not really? It's connected to the figurehead of the south... Virginia. Furthermore it has always been the same distance from NYC, Philly, ect that didn't matter before.

Now the comparison is whack. Major cities in the south: Miami, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta... like DC does their own thing... trying to attach a rural, southern sterotype to them is only going to be pretty hard, will be inaccurate, and make one look ignorant. Another thing people agree on is that Philly looks like Baltimore, but does Richmond look like Atlanta?

So although B-More is technically in the south... it is a true border state and plays the fence. Although there is a feel that Marylanders wants to change sides and be a northeast city.

I think that as time goes on the lines between north and south will get more blurred and distintion is going to make less and less sense as the south just gets larger and more diverse.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:47 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:

Atlanta:

downtown

midtown

Buckhead:

Atlanta suburbs

Marietta:

Decatur:

Lithonia:

Sandy Springs:

B-more

u gotta be sh*ttig me. No way in hell is atl more urban than baltimore...stevie wonder can see that. Also, technically baltimore is a bigger city than baltimore as far city proper is concerned.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:47 AM

725 posts, read 1,510,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Very good points...

If its not a problem with you I may want to use your point in a another Messageboard that I am debating on in the Subject of retaining abandoned old Buildings(some are embarrassingly calling them historic) vs. Demolishing the old abandoning buildings in Downtown Baltimore to make way for new future development and business/economic growth for the city............
fine with me...

Old 11-14-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
I remember some years ago they were talking about building more subways(extending out to Cobb County and Gwinnett County) and stating a New Commuter Rail Lines to the Outer Suburbs as far south aas Macon and as Far North as Chattanooga and Greenville.

Do you or anyone else have any updates on the fruition of expanding the proposed Rapid Transit Projects??????????
Rough economic times, and the need for fiscal responsibility, have put those on the back-burner, to who knows when. Others may have other updates.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:52 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Yes Baltimore is in the south. Historically and Georgraphically.
It is not culturally. And that's what matters to most people. If someone visits Baltimore, they will experience a mostly northeastern (or east coast) city, not a southern city.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is not culturally. And that's what matters to most people. If someone visits Baltimore, they will experience a mostly northeastern (or east coast) city, not a southern city.
Baltimore's not exactly culturally southern, but it's not exactly cuturally northeastern, either. The only parts of the northeast that one could say it resembles is parts of southern Pennsylvania, northern Delaware, or southern New Jersey. Anything north of such, Baltimore cannot compare with, in that areas north of that line are far and away too northern to even compare to Baltimore.

On the other hand, Baltimore can compare to some areas of the South, such as parts of northern Virginia, as well as isolated locales in some of your major southern metropolitan areas.

As such, I'd place Baltimore as an east coast or middle atlantic city, but historically, and (perhaps) geographically southern. It's not a northeastern city in that it has dense a physical environment within the core of the metro. New Orleans has the same, as does Charleston, Savannah, or other southern cities that developed at an earlier date. It's not northeastern, in that many of the people living there are former northeasterners. Why? You could say the same for areas within most major southern metro areas. Those transplants don't generally replace the culture. They may dilute it, but they're generally a minority of all residents, and they, themselves, start to take on cultural traits of the dominant population of the region. Hence, with all this said, it's best to list Baltimore as east coast or middle atlantic, with historic and geographic claims to the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City