Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is baltimore more like northern or southern cities?
yes, like Philly 105 91.30%
no, its more like Richmond, Atl 10 8.70%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 04:54 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
As I've stated, urban is simply the absence of rural. Know your definitions and understand. What you're referring to is density, and of that I will not disagree that Baltimore is more dense. But let's be real, Baltimore is slightly less than half of the size of Atlanta, in metro population and physical layout.
Suburban (which atlanta is) is also the the absence of rural. Another thing: why do u keep mentioning urban, then in the same breath mention atlantas metro..thats a oxymoron. Baltimore is a bigger city than atlanta...u cant argue with facts genius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Please explain your opinion. What is incorrect that I posted.

Your problem is you're attributing urban with dense, and that is not necessarily the definition of urban.
Ok, so going by your logic jacksonville is the most urban city in the country. Nyc, chicago, philly, Baltimore, Boston, DC.. sorry jacksonville got us beat.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
It isn't?

Looks like the suburbs to me.... i never said anything was wrog with being suburban, but claiming atl is more urban than bmore is just sick.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:06 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
Quote:
As I've stated, urban is simply the absence of rural. Know your definitions and understand. What you're referring to is density, and of that I will not disagree that Baltimore is more dense. But let's be real, Baltimore is slightly less than half of the size of Atlanta, in metro population and physical layout.

I completely disagree with your definition of urban. By your definition, a wal-mart is urban. An absence of rural? Really?

Urban is walkable, pedestrian friendly, buildings built up to wide sidewalks, street level retail, limited or hidden parking, density, mixed use, etc.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
In response to what I said? Cause I don't believe any of that.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's two different type of cites. It's like comparing a freight train car to a subway train. Yeah, they're both trains, but they operate in entirely different ways.

Sorry, no was meant in reponse to Stars and Stripes, you make some good and valid points in here

Old 11-15-2010, 07:45 AM

Just curious on this thread. The question is basically is Baltimore more similar to Philly or Atlanta - to that end most agree that Baltimore is very similar to Philly in look and development on a slightly smaller scale. To that end I would think the vast majority would agree that Philly is more urban than Atlanta (both are large developed metros) and from that perspective the built up are of Baltimore "city" is more urban than Atlanta. Now truly that is just a characteristic. Atlanta definately has urban areas and some ones I really enjoy, as does Baltimore and Philly, to me where Atlanta trails Baltimore on this characteristic is not on the most urban areas but the continuity of development. Atlanta has density in areas but not the continuity of the urbanity. Neither good nor bad, it just is what it is. Honestly there are very few cities in America that have the level of urbanity experienced in Baltimore. Skyscrapers are everywhere but dense pack neighborhoods are not. Truly this isnt always good because many of the historically dense pack neighborhoods in many cities are not all that desireable. Now there are dense pack neighborhoods that are excellent as well. Honestly in some ways I like Midtown in Atlanta potentially better if given the choice to choose one specific neighborhood in eithe Baltimore or Atlanta to live in, and in Baltimore I might actually choose the Harbor East area for proximity to many things and good cohesion of new developement into the fabric of older neighborhoods (maybe the best of both worlds). Now to me none give what I get living in Rittenhouse Square but again this is my personal preferance.

Urbanity does not equal better but as a charateristic dense pack cohesion is basically what urbanity is. Developed area can be urban or suburban or something in the middle which to me is much of what the developed area of Atlanta is, neither good nor bad and much of it has to do with time of development, transportation options, and need all intertwined. More modern development will likely never be as dense as areas that were developed in a time period that had different needs than today. Baltimore is an example of one of those - built out with different transportation options and a required industrial workforce...

Old 11-15-2010, 07:51 AM

492 posts, read 1,027,235 times
Man there are some pretty pictures of ATL in this thread. Some of the pictures of Bmore make the city look dingy and old. I dont think the ones of baltimore do it any justice.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:58 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Baltimore is a bigger city than atlanta...u cant argue with facts genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y

Old 11-15-2010, 08:08 AM

Here are some of Baltimore

Old 11-15-2010, 08:11 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
Man there are some pretty pictures of ATL in this thread. Some of the pictures of Bmore make the city look dingy and old. I dont think the ones of baltimore do it any justice.
It's a shame that the younger generation these days associates OLD with dingy/dirty/bad and NEW with shinny/clean/good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City