Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is baltimore more like northern or southern cities?
yes, like Philly 105 91.30%
no, its more like Richmond, Atl 10 8.70%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 03:22 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
Yes you are confused. That picture has nothing to do with my question. I guess you either get it or you don't. I never said there was anything wrong with Atlanta, it's a fine city. You Atl residents sure are defensive.
Who said I said you were saying "something was wrong with Atlanta". You said something that was untrue. Different thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 04:04 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post

And I will bet my Gold Watch that you have NEVER been to the state of Maryland(Especially the Eastern Shore and Southern Maryland) and experience the characteristics of Marylanders.........

You can not judge the Entire State of Maryland based on DC and what some people say about Baltimore.........

It doesn't matter what you say because until you actually visit Maryland you can not use Bull Sh-- stereotypes to prove a biased argument against the reality of Maryland being a Southern State..........
Well you will lose that Gold Watch because I lived in Maryland and this was as early as last year. I lived in the DC area from 2005 until this past July. PG County as a matter of face. Nice try. Don't assume either. The Eastern Shore and Southern Maryland, while nice, make up what? 10% of the population of the state? The majority or Marylanders are in the DC suburbs and the Baltimore area and they do not act nor do they believe they are Southern. It's not my 100% opinion. But it's from born and raised residents of Maryland that I have contacted with that believes they are not Southern (nor did they believe they are Northern).

Old 11-14-2010, 04:33 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Aight let me chime in here...

First off... NO!... bad resident 09

Atlanta's msa is 2x larger than Baltimores and has much taller and more frequent high-rise skyscrappers skyline. The tallest building in B-more is the Leggs Mason building... Atlanta has more than 20 buildings larger than that! Even though Baltimore has a lot of classic connected townhomes and lowrises... Atlanta clobbers Baltimore in high-rises and mid-rises.

Atlanta:

downtown

midtown

Buckhead:

You can drive from downtown to Buckhead, a 40 minutes deive w/o traffic, and it's back to back skycrappers (with a 2 minute gap at lignburg) and recently there has been a rapid influx of classic connected townhomes and brownstones in the suburbs even as far as Lithonia.

Atlanta suburbs

Marietta:

Decatur:

Lithonia:

Sandy Springs:

B-more

Baltimore is not more urban than Atlanta. You can throw all the density stats you want. Atlanta is a much bigger city with a much bigger economy. Atlanta is more urban. Tell me what suburb in Baltimore (or anywhere) looks like Atlanta????
Dude or lady c'mon! The size of your skyscrapers or number of tall buildings in a city has nothing to do with urbanity. IDK why people in these threads boast so much about ATL and other southern cities etc, talking about how many skyscrapers they have and how "newly urban" they are. They are not more urban than NE cities. We know ATL is bigger than Baltimore, but it still is not more urban. LA is bigger than San Fransisco but it is not more urban, so that is a moot point.

1st there is no 40 min stretch w/o traffic of constant skyscrapers riding through ATL, You have downtown, midtown, and Buckhead way off to the distance of 85 which is like a 15 min ride 20 tops! c'mon man thats like a 2nd home to me, you can't fool me with all these pictures.

2nd My original post has to do with the "Neigborhoods" in Atlanta which are flat out suburban looking. There are neigborhoods in Atlanta's city proper that resemble more of Montgomery County MD more than Baltimore. Baltimore is more "urban" than any city south of DC because of it's rowhomes, density, and city structure.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
No....

You Maryland bashing Southerners sound bitter which fueled someone to start this thread which fed other Maryland Bashing Southerners to post their biased opinion on why they don't want Baltimore to be part of the South.......

If you call that biased opinion rant ^ "Common Sense" then I have a Ocean Front Property that I want to sell you in Iowa..............
You are now proving your bitterness because now you're just speaking irrational. Dude I'm born and raised in Maryland! PG County growing up & Baltimore for 6 years. No one is bashing anything, go walk around the state tomorrow and ask everybody you see how they like living in the South and see the looks you get on faces. Your textbook Mason-Dixon line reading eyes only see one thing. Your probably one of those who thinks Delaware is in the "North" just because its across the line and its actually EAST of Maryland! To say Baltimore is more like Atlanta and Charlotte, and less like Philly is ridiculous. Once again use a little more common sense please.

Now I'm not saying there are not southern overtones in small parts of the culture in the state especially in the AA community, but that can be said for Pennsylvania and Chicago and other places as well, so that is not the best argument for it to be "Southern" Yes we all know our history and know why it was originally considered "South" but lets not act like things don't evolve over time. The last two times i visited Atlanta and told people I was from MD the first thing people said to me was "Welcome to the South" as if it was already understood that I'm from a different region of the country. This is not just me talking.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Texas??????

I didn't bother reading the rest of your biased opinion......

Its obvious that people that deny Maryland as being part of the South are doing so based on personal resentment against the State especially if they are going to Claim Texas as being part of the South when it is actually part of the Greater Southwest............

Again I say that the people denying against the reality of Maryland being a Southern State has Never been to Maryland let alone Southern Maryland and the Maryland Eastern Shore..........

Ok now after seeing this one, i realized Im not going to continue an argument with you on this topic. Because you are clearly playing dictator and dividing the country up into your own little sections and regions. I've never been a rocket scientist, but if I didn't think Texas was in the South, i dont know how I would have made it out of grad or undergrad school, actually grade school. Are you serious? Texas is Southern! Period!

Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You are now proving your bitterness because now you're just speaking irrational. Dude I'm born and raised in Maryland! PG County growing up & Baltimore for 6 years. No one is bashing anything, go walk around the state tomorrow and ask everybody you see how they like living in the South and see the looks you get on faces. Your textbook Mason-Dixon line reading eyes only see one thing. Your probably one of those who thinks Delaware is in the "North" just because its across the line and its actually EAST of Maryland! To say Baltimore is more like Atlanta and Charlotte, and less like Philly is ridiculous. Once again use a little more common sense please.

Now I'm not saying there are not southern overtones in small parts of the culture in the state especially in the AA community, but that can be said for Pennsylvania and Chicago and other places as well, so that is not the best argument for it to be "Southern" Yes we all know our history and know why it was originally considered "South" but lets not act like things don't evolve over time. The last two times i visited Atlanta and told people I was from MD the first thing people said to me was "Welcome to the South" as if it was already understood that I'm from a different region of the country. This is not just me talking.
Resident, Maryland isn't exactly northern, either. Any Atlantan that would say, "Welcome to the South", is ignorant of historical and geographic realities. Maryland is quasi-south, as well as quasi-north. It is not so much outside of the South to be considered a separate region, but it is not so much in it to be considered exactly the same. "Welcome to the South" would be something appropriate for someone from the West, New York City, or Michigan, not Maryland.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:29 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Dude or lady c'mon! The size of your skyscrapers or number of tall buildings in a city has nothing to do with urbanity. IDK why people in these threads boast so much about ATL and other southern cities etc, talking about how many skyscrapers they have and how "newly urban" they are. They are not more urban than NE cities. We know ATL is bigger than Baltimore, but it still is not more urban. LA is bigger than San Fransisco but it is not more urban, so that is a moot point.

1st there is no 40 min stretch w/o traffic of constant skyscrapers riding through ATL, You have downtown, midtown, and Buckhead way off to the distance of 85 which is like a 15 min ride 20 tops! c'mon man thats like a 2nd home to me, you can't fool me with all these pictures.

2nd My original post has to do with the "Neigborhoods" in Atlanta which are flat out suburban looking. There are neigborhoods in Atlanta's city proper that resemble more of Montgomery County MD more than Baltimore. Baltimore is more "urban" than any city south of DC because of it's rowhomes, density, and city structure.
As I've said, density does not necessarily equate to "urban" after a certain population density has been reached. At that point, the definining characteristic for comparing urbanity of regions switches to developed expanse, in square mileage.

You see, it takes a certain amount of development and population growth to take an area from rural to urban. However, once that has been reached, you can't say a place is more urban than another simply because it has more people packed in like sardines than another, as both are now urban. You can't make a place "more urban", as it is already urban. You can make it more dense, but urban isn't exactly a reflection of density, but rather the absence of rural. Hence, any other measures for determining how urban a region is must reflect the expansiveness of the urban area. In such regard, Atlanta is far more urban than Baltimore.

If you want to argue that city proper Baltimore is more dense than Atlanta, then fine. That's a fact. It isn't more urban, however, in terms of the expansiveness of its urban area.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Resident, Maryland isn't exactly northern, either. Any Atlantan that would say, "Welcome to the South", is ignorant of historical and geographic realities. Maryland is quasi-south, as well as quasi-north. It is not so much outside of the South to be considered a separate region, but it is not so much in it to be considered exactly the same. "Welcome to the South" would be something appropriate for someone from the West, New York City, or Michigan, not Maryland.

I am telling you what they told me, just the messenger here. On numerous occasions when visiting the south "Atlanta" to be exact, native Georgians of different races and ages have welcomed me to "The South" after I mentioned being from the Maryland area. Which obviously states to me these people don't consider MD being southern. Look at the poll at the top of the thread, this obviously is not just my opinion. On top of all of this i've lived in Florida and I do know how the people there see Maryland, and it is not southern to them. In fact my friends in Florida see anything from Virginia and up as "New York" now I know thats a little silly as there are big differences between the 2, but this is just there perception of the differences in regions.

There has to be a dividing line somewhere, the point is that an imaginary line on top of the MD border with PA does not automatically or drastically change the region you are in that quickly. Especially with the close proximity in the major cities and metro areas in the Mid-atlantic, which is why Baltimore and Philadelphia have many sections that resemble each others. There is continuous development from DC to Connecticut along I-95 for hundreds of miles, the only slight gap being a county and a half in Northeast MD where Cecil County and the northern edge of Harford County show some rural signs for about 40 mins, next thing you know your back in either the PHI metro or Baltimore metro areas. I do not see this as in switching of north to south just more so a little gap in between major cities. Are there differences in culture with some of these towns? Yea of course, but there are differences in culture within a single metro area too. When I truly start to feel a strong sense of being in the south is once you begin riding through Central Virginia, its like even the climate and the smells changes for me.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Yep. DC is even a big culture change from Richmond. DC and Baltimore, while different, share many characteristics.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:21 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yep. DC is even a big culture change from Richmond. DC and Baltimore, while different, share many characteristics.
I'd like to know, what characteristics do we share?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City