Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is baltimore more like northern or southern cities?
yes, like Philly 105 91.30%
no, its more like Richmond, Atl 10 8.70%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Ok now after seeing this one, i realized Im not going to continue an argument with you on this topic. Because you are clearly playing dictator and dividing the country up into your own little sections and regions. I've never been a rocket scientist, but if I didn't think Texas was in the South, i dont know how I would have made it out of grad or undergrad school, actually grade school. Are you serious? Texas is Southern! Period!
Maryland is a Southern State "Period"!

Get off your high horse and accept it because there is nothing that you can do to change the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 10:04 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
To answer the OP question - Baltimore is more like philly than it is like Atlanta - the closer to the DC burbs the built up area starts to more closely resemble Atlanta as does a lot of DC area outside the district
Sounds like the right answer to me.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:07 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
Yeah these are a lot better. I havent been to baltimore in a while but it was cool. Its more of a northern city to me too.
Northern-like but located in the South.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:15 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Baltimore is a bigger city than atlanta...u cant argue with facts genius.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:19 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Baltimore is the larger "City" on almost every "City" metric except land area

Baltimore is 600+K in 81 sq miles
Atlanta is 500+K in 132 sq miles

why is everyone struggling with this

As a stand alone metro, yes Atlanta is bigger, Baltimore is part of larger region in terms of developed space and population

Old 11-15-2010, 10:25 AM

True, however a brief visit to both cities will tell the true story. If you ever leave Atlanta with the impression that Baltimore is larger, I suggest you contact your travel agent and request an immediate refund.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:26 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
As a stand alone metro, yes Atlanta is bigger, Baltimore is part of larger region in terms of developed space and population
That's why I keep saying that D.C.-Baltimore is a double metropolis. Driving around, this region feels way larger than each of their metropolitan areas taken separately.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:31 AM

68 posts, read 179,620 times
I do know one thing, "Baltimore sure is an east-coast city!"

Old 11-15-2010, 10:40 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
True, however a brief visit to both cities will tell the true story. If you ever leave Atlanta with the impression that Baltimore is larger, I suggest you contact your travel agent and request an immediate refund.

I have spent considerable amounts of time in both - they are different but honestly Atlanta does not feel like a bigger city to me, yes taller buildings but outside of that, no

There is no question to me that Atlanta is a large city/area but it has less people living in the same area. Atlanta feels spread but traversing the same distance in Baltimore you smack into another larger metro in two different directions. I honestly enjoy Atlanta, truly and quite enjoy your hood but I disagree in that being in Atlanta feels larger, maybe because i also lived in DC and part of the time the in between area of Baltimore and DC but there is a lot more developed area that surrounds Baltimore in the same proximity as the Atlanta metro - maybe the census doesnt call it all one but living there it never felt removed. In the cities themselves outside of Atlanta having more tall buildings I always feel like baltimore is a larger urban space, now again this is not good nor bad but to me it is what it is. This urbanity is what always to me made Philly feel vastly larger than Atlanta while the populations are much closer than how the two areas feel, maybe this is also the urban core. I think something that has always made Atlanta feel less urban is the pockets of suburban feel in between the pockets of urban feel, or lack of cohesion.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I have spent considerable amounts of time in both - they are different but honestly Atlanta does not feel like a bigger city to me, yes taller buildings but outside of that, no

There is no question to me that Atlanta is a large city/area but it has less people living in the same area. Atlanta feels spread but traversing the same distance in Baltimore you smack into another larger metro in two different directions. I honestly enjoy Atlanta, truly and quite enjoy your hood but I disagree in that being in Atlanta feels larger, maybe because i also lived in DC and part of the time the in between area of Baltimore and DC but there is a lot more developed area that surrounds Baltimore in the same proximity as the Atlanta metro - maybe the census doesnt call it all one but living there it never felt removed. In the cities themselves outside of Atlanta having more tall buildings I always feel like baltimore is a larger urban space, now again this is not good nor bad but to me it is what it is. This urbanity is what always to me made Philly feel vastly larger than Atlanta while the populations are much closer than how the two areas feel, maybe this is also the urban core. I think something that has always made Atlanta feel less urban is the pockets of suburban feel in between the pockets of urban feel, or lack of cohesion.
I think it really depends on what makes a city feel large to the individual. For you, it may be adjoined homes and businesses for blocks on end. That doesn't necessarily feel large to me, just dense. Philadelphia has never felt vastly larger than Atlanta or Houston to me. I have always said that Houston/Atlanta feel much larger from the freeways, while Philly feels larger from its neighborhoods. I agree there is much more continuous activity (foot traffic), but that still has nothing to do with the overall feel in terms of size IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City