Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is baltimore more like northern or southern cities?
yes, like Philly 105 91.30%
no, its more like Richmond, Atl 10 8.70%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:17 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times

Advertisements

Baltimore is more urban than Atlanta. In Atlanta, you definitely need a car. Baltimore is compact and walkable with dense neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 07:31 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Baltimore is more urban than Atlanta. In Atlanta, you definitely need a car. Baltimore is compact and walkable with dense neighborhoods.
Yet Baltimore and Atlanta have the same amount of people using public transit every day. How weird...

Old 11-16-2010, 07:32 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Google Maps

Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yet Baltimore and Atlanta have the same amount of people using public transit every day. How weird...
whats even more weird is metro atl has twice the population of the baltimore metro area, yet has the same amount of people using public transit.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:38 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
So to the original question - what city would these be?

Old 11-16-2010, 11:20 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think you do make some valid points and on the highways - this feel is probably also because of the development timing, much of the development in areas like a Atlanta or Houston is a result of the highways whereas many of the areas in a city like Philadelphia were developed prior to the highways, the highways were more retor fit, often away from the most developed areas. One highway area though to me would evidense the size differance would be I95 south from Bucks into center city, there is no urban landscape in either Atlanta or Houston that is consistently evidenced in a compact fashion for miles, or at least in the city sense
I believe it has much to do with what you have grown accustomed to, and whatever you associate with feeling large.
For me, it isn't as simple as "this city is more compact therefore it feels bigger even if the MSA pop is 3 million less" (fictitious example). It goes beyond that.

This is also why Atlanta/Houston have always felt much larger than Philadelphia from the freeways IMO. Neighborhoods are a different animal, so before someone starts posting images of densely developed neighborhoods in Philly, I agree that the dynamic changes drastically once you leave the interstate.

From here, which seems like the larger city?

This...

Schuylkill Expressway from Spring Garden Street Bridge (http://www.flickr.com/photos/robotbrainz/1468443456/ - broken link) by robotbrainz (http://www.flickr.com/people/robotbrainz/ - broken link), on Flickr

or this...

Downtown Atlanta - Interstate 85/75 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/macgodbrad/4887495099/ - broken link) by bclinesmith (http://www.flickr.com/people/macgodbrad/ - broken link), on Flickr

Old 11-16-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
I believe it has much to do with what you have grown accustomed to, and whatever you associate with feeling large.
For me, it isn't as simple as "this city is more compact therefore it feels bigger even if the MSA pop is 3 million less" (fictitious example). It goes beyond that.

This is also why Atlanta/Houston have always felt much larger than Philadelphia from the freeways IMO. Neighborhoods are a different animal, so before someone starts posting images of densely developed neighborhoods in Philly, I agree that the dynamic changes drastically once you leave the interstate.

From here, which seems like the larger city?
Well I see your point but i never understood how you tell much of anything but a place has large building at 65 mph, to me it is always best understood on foot.

Also it really depends on the perspective

But to me this is more the level and block by block neighborhood by neighborhood - yes I saw you agree, but am curious how anything is gauged from a highway.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 AM

Or this one for example - vantage point has a lot to do with it - Also does the Highways size make a place feel larger? Just a thought, maybe to me arriving on a very crowded train at a busy station makes a city feel larger than a highway but maybe you are right it is all perspective and what we grew up with...

Or this very close to where your other image was taken - just shows how a little distance and slight change in perspective can drastically change the imagery

Old 11-16-2010, 11:55 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
whats even more weird is metro atl has twice the population of the baltimore metro area, yet has the same amount of people using public transit.
Not really. The area MARTA covers has about 1.5 million people. Probably about the same amount that transit in Baltimore covers.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:22 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Or this one for example - vantage point has a lot to do with it - Also does the Highways size make a place feel larger? Just a thought, maybe to me arriving on a very crowded train at a busy station makes a city feel larger than a highway but maybe you are right it is all perspective and what we grew up with...
The actual size of the highways themselves are used as a barometer by some, especially in Sunbelt cities but not necessarily by me. I'm familiar enough with cities like Dallas to know that the golden rule does not always apply. I think you get what I'm saying though, large means different things to different people dependent on the perspective.

BTW, you know I've been all through Philly on foot as well as by automobile. I was dumbfounded the first time one of those SEPTA streetcars (I guess that's what you call them) approached me from behind using my lane of traffic! I didn't know who had the right of way, or if I needed to pull over and treat it like an ambulance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City