Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 03:52 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say all cities have a unique identity. If one was to study each city, there would be a startling separation in history, thought and fortunes.

I say this thread is a good way to re-learn our stereotypical viewpoints.
I agree 100%.

This thread is indicative of a bias on this forum of people who view life through a prism of certain cities "not counting". The last time I checked there are no cities filled with zombies, so that means every city will have an unique identity. Whether it is small or unappealing to an individual is irrelevant to the fact that one in fact exists.

All this thread serves to do is show how little people know about the world. Kind of sad really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 04:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Thread should be retitled "Cities that don't immediately trigger trite preconceptions in the mind of the average dolt."

Old 01-18-2011, 04:07 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I agree 100%.

This thread is indicative of a bias on this forum of people who view life through a prism of certain cities "not counting". The last time I checked there are no cities filled with zombies, so that means every city will have an unique identity. Whether it is small or unappealing to an individual is irrelevant to the fact that one in fact exists.

All this thread serves to do is show how little people know about the world. Kind of sad really.
Yes. One of the things I find interesting about travelling throughout the country, is that places where I previously hadn't expected much from, turn out to have interesting local cultures and quirks... It must be boring to simply base your understanding of places on a few stereotypes and not actually explore those places. For example, personally I love traveling to the South, because there are so many regional variations. Just trying all the different BBQ styles going through the Carolinas into Georgia is cool, or all the little regional music scenes and styles(both historic and current music). The Applachians feel different than the low country of South Carolina and so on. Or the different accents you hear in certain cities in the Northeast and Midwest...

Now identity is tied up to more than just food or sports or whatever. And I think regional cultures have been declining on some part in the US due to this homogenized mass market culture that is common these days. But even in the Western US, where culturally things are more consistent in some ways over a greater area(more of an urban liberal/rural conservative divide)--you find a lot of unique things. There are things in a lot of cities that only a native or someone who's lived there a long time would recognize and identify with...

Old 01-18-2011, 04:28 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Charlotte
Tulsa
Indianapolis
Sioux City
Colorado Springs
Lubbock
Topeka
Dayton
Harrisburg
Rochester
Huntsville
Bismarck
Bakersfield
Spokane
Knoxville
Jefferson City
Wichita
Little Rock
Without thinking about it much at all, here's what comes to mind with some of the cities on your list.
Charlotte - NASCAR, banking
Colorado Springs - Pikes Peak, famously libertarian
Lubbock - Texas Tech, Buddy Holly, frontier history
Dayton - many important 20th century inventions have their history here
Huntsville - haven't you heard of NASA?
Bakersfield - Okies, oil
Knoxville - University of Tennessee, Appalachia

Harrisburg -

Old 01-18-2011, 04:59 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Colorado Springs - Pikes Peak, famously libertarian
James Dobson is no libertarian.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:22 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Many of you seem to be confusing "lack of identity" with "lack of knowledge on your part."
I'd expect nothing less from City-Data.

I mean, seriously. St. Louis? Come on. Plenty of "identity" there.

Also, "identity" is vague and the media has a HUGE influence over what people have come to understand about society.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:11 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I'm saying that identity is subjective. There is not a database of city identities. What people most commonly identify the city with is what becomes the identity.

Ask a person in Chicago, Los Angeles, Cleveland, North Dakota, Seattle, Phoenix or New York City what they think of when they hear "Charleston".

Most probably couldn't even tell you what a palmetto is.

I don't see what happened 250 years ago in a city has to do with the image of a city today unless it still shows that character throughout rather than in a district that occupies less than half of the developed space of the city.

Today's Charleston and Savannah are bland to myself and many others.
Then I would start a thread about how Charleston and Savannah don't do justice today to the respective identities they've built over the years. And maybe say why (hint: try a little harder than saying they have a Taco Bell and a Wal-Mart). Or a thread about why your meaning of "identity" is different from everyone else's, and why that's good.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:14 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
If that is what people in the west think of Detroit then that is the perceived identity. THERE IS NO OBJECTIVITY IN THE IDENTITY OF A PLACE. It is entirely perception of qualitative traits, if any are even apparent.

Outside of the south, yes, because their influence and identity are not strong enough to make themselves known.
Identity is defined as "The collective aspect of the set of characteristics by which a thing is definitively recognizable or known."

It's not defined as "what I think of when I think of a thing."

The former is, in a sense, totally objective. Identity is what other people think you are.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:06 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times
San Jose! Any city that deserves to be on this thread is San Jose since nobody knows anything about San Jose. San Jose is a city with no identity, according to everyone.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:11 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
When I think identity, I think of things like city specific foods, city specific accents or sayings, landmarks, major historical figures
Places that seemed to lack these things for me were

Charlotte
Raleigh
Dayton
Virginia Beach

Places listed such as Savannah, St Louis , Charleston have these things, or at least several

Paul Lawrence Dunbar would probably disagree with you. So would the Wright Brothers, if they were still alive and were perusing Internet messaging boards instead of inventing the airplane.

And Dayton is the home of the National Museum of the United States Air Force, a major museum that Savannah, St. Louis and Charleston could only dream of. It's where you can see such things as the Bockscar (the plane that dropped the Fat Man bomb on Nagasaki in 1945) and Apollo 15 command module, among hundreds of other notable aircraft. And it's the only place you can walk onto presidential planes, including Harry Truman's plane and Air Force One aboard which LBJ was sworn into office as Jackie Kennedy sat next to JFK's body en route from Dallas to Washington and used by every president from JFK to Bill Clinton.

If only Dayton had important landmarks like Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City