Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 12:20 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times

Advertisements

To say sac does not have an identity is down right INSANE. Sacramento is a quintessential Government/California city.

Sac has the most government workers per capita on a local, state, and federal level. Now just think about that for a second, no city in this country has more government workers than the city of Sacramento.

To a lot of people the city is irrelevant, but to the 12% of the country in CA Sac is very relevant. Never mind the fact that many legal and social issues got started right here in sac. Medicinal marijuana, emissions and clean air standards, handicapped and disabled persons rights, heck even the atheist guy who sued the government and won over his kids having to say the pledge, was from sacramento.

Sac is also very much Californian. During the gold rush the sac region was the first semblance of civilization for many making the trek down the sierras.

The city has been through many of the states booms and busts. Rancheros, gold, agriculture, roaring 20's manufacturing, WW2 and the 50's boom, aerospace, a couple defense booms and bust, a couple real estate booms and busts, dot. com.

Much like the other metros of californias "BIG 4" sacramento is largely post ww2 development. And like many californians we enjoy what the california lifestyle has to offer.

Growing up me and my friends were able to snowboard at world class resorts after school and still were able to get home in time eat supper, do homework and catch jay leno.

We may not have had surfers but when you have folsom lake and two rivers, we still are able to be a water sport folk. Substitute "surfer" with "wakeboarder" for the preferred boardsport culture. In fact growing up in granite bay, I always felt out of place that my dad did not have a boat, or atleast a jet ski.

You want "sunny california"? Well we live it. Look it up, Sacramento is one of the most sunny metro's in the country. Beating the bay area cities, la, and san diego.

And never mind the fact that sacramento is one of the most diverse cities in the country, and also one of the most integrated. We have diverse public high schools in the central city that actually out-perform more white schools in the suburbs. Where else in the country do you see that? You don't even see that in the bay area.

Sacramento metro is insanely integrated on all levels. But it also has traditional segregation and norms as well. There are also areas where stereo types literally get turned upside down.

Ive gone to upscale suburban vineyard and have seen upper class blacks on the golf course. I have seen the hispanic american political elite in the capitol corridor.

Ive seen thugged out white dudes in suburban north highlands and one of the worst schools in the city of sacramento and the state is largely asian. In fact many of the people that acted in that movie grand torino were from the sac-joaquin valley. After the movie they toured the central valley to address asian gang violence.

So sorry but to say sacramento does not have an identity, well that's just something that people from the bay area say. And not all people from the bay, just certain types of people from the bay. The types of people who only know sacramento as a pit stop from tahoe to or from their house. They only know sac from the 80 or 50 freeways (which goes on the outskirts of most of the metro) and make these silly judgments based on ignorance. You'd be surprised how many bay area posters eventually admitt though they have been through sac on the free way quite a few times, they actually know nothing about the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 07:52 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daring_Dirk View Post
Stop equating your own knowledge to the average American.
I'd never do that.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:51 PM

367 posts, read 621,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
People who think Tampa has no culture or identity because its in Florida are ignorant. Ybor waste built in the 1980s as an entertainment district. It was built in the late 1800s by immigrants from mainly Cuba, Spain, and Italy. It became known as Cigar City because that is what the city was built on. Take a trip through South Tampa and see 100 year old buildings and brick streets with a mix of Spanish, Southern and Victorian style houses. Not to mention all of the new cultural center Downtown that tourists never see because they are to busy riding roller coaster at Busch Gardens.
I would have to agree with you. Tampa has far more culture than most cities in Florida, matter of fact all cities. Miami has some with the immigrant neighborhoods, but overall as a city Tampa most certainly is not what one would expect from a Florida city.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:07 PM

12 posts, read 51,200 times
Default Baltimore Lacks Identity?? you gotta be kidding

Whoever said Baltimore obviously dosent know very much
Baltimore is older than all the other cities considered in this thread

Lets see......

Fort Mchenry (ever heard of national anthem, francis scott key, revolutionary war etc.)
Baltimore Clipper ships due to our natural harbor
BALTIMORE & Ohio Railroad Museum (started all railroad in the us)
Frederick Douglass
Edgar Allen Poe Gravesite (weird place)
Billie Holiday
Eubie Blake
Johns Hopkins University and Hospital
The Wire
The Corner
Homicide
Under Armour (created and based in baltimore)
John Water (hairspray, pink flamingoes all based on baltimore culture)
Barry Levenson (tin men, liberty heights, diner all based on baltimore culture)
Ed Norton (seen a lot with an orioles cap)
Nancy Pelosi Born and raised in baltimores little italy
Baltimore Club Music
Old Bay seasoning (for crabcakes)
McCormick seasoning
Domino sugar
Natty Boh (National Bohemian beer)
Cal Ripken
Johnny Unitas
Tom Clancy (hometown of baltimore) (popular books and video games about govt conspiracy some based in md)
Dru Hill (named after druid hill park in baltimore)
Mo' nique
Carmelo Anthony

yeah we got some crime, but we also know our history

Old 03-19-2011, 01:03 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
St. Paul, MN falls in MPLS, MN's shadow, unfortunately just is the 'other one' in the Twin Cities...

Old 03-20-2011, 08:22 AM

170 posts, read 391,329 times
1st cities that comes to mind is baltimore, baton rouge, sacramento, san jose, newark

Old 03-20-2011, 10:00 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmos View Post
Whoever said Baltimore obviously dosent know very much
Baltimore is older than all the other cities considered in this thread

Lets see......

Fort Mchenry (ever heard of national anthem, francis scott key, revolutionary war etc.)
Baltimore Clipper ships due to our natural harbor
BALTIMORE & Ohio Railroad Museum (started all railroad in the us)
Frederick Douglass
Edgar Allen Poe Gravesite (weird place)
Billie Holiday
Eubie Blake
Johns Hopkins University and Hospital
The Wire
The Corner
Homicide
Under Armour (created and based in baltimore)
John Water (hairspray, pink flamingoes all based on baltimore culture)
Barry Levenson (tin men, liberty heights, diner all based on baltimore culture)
Ed Norton (seen a lot with an orioles cap)
Nancy Pelosi Born and raised in baltimores little italy
Baltimore Club Music
Old Bay seasoning (for crabcakes)
McCormick seasoning
Domino sugar
Natty Boh (National Bohemian beer)
Cal Ripken
Johnny Unitas
Tom Clancy (hometown of baltimore) (popular books and video games about govt conspiracy some based in md)
Dru Hill (named after druid hill park in baltimore)
Mo' nique
Carmelo Anthony

yeah we got some crime, but we also know our history
I work with a guy now who worked in B-More for 5 years and he's constantly saying how big of a dump Baltimore is. To me, I know Baltimore because I have an Urban Planning degree and City Data interests me... However to most people in the USA Baltimore doesn't even come to mind.

I live in the Midwest. You can take 50 people from the Midwest and ask each of them to name 3 cities on the East Coast, and I can tell you maybe 3 of those people would include Baltimore. Philadelphia has the rocky stairs, Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Penn Tower, etc... Boston and New York City have all their unique and recognizable places and things. Bmore even has to try to stand out amongst DC too.

It's really not Bmore's fault, it's just that it's surrounded by a handful of cities that have VERY strong identities and histories. Again, I'm not saying that Bmore sucks and has nothing, because that's certainly not the case, however it just seems to lack an identity like it's counterparts.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:40 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times
San Jose! due to east coast media people who are ignorant

Old 03-21-2011, 05:10 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
San Jose! due to east coast media people who are ignorant
True... I know nothing about the town whatsoever.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:27 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
jersey city
charlotte
raleigh
any area around atlanta
any area in the dmv that isn't dc
baltimore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City