Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: West Coast vs Northeast? Which one is more open for integration?
West Coast 15 57.69%
Northeast 11 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 02:52 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,536,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Concur with across the board. This is someone as a native New Jerseyan born and raised. My school was snow white, and the parents of those kids would have a big problem with anyone who didn't look like them. My friends parents were asking of this all the times to the kids. I had one non-white student in 13 years I attended elemntary school, middle school, and finally high school. I was 9 miles away from another school district where the demographics would have been flipped on its head.

As a rule of thumb, northeasterners will say they are for equality, and speak one way, but act another way. There's a reason why there's 566 municipalities in just over 7300 square miles in New Jersey. Essex County and Bergen County in particular were carved up a certain way that almost looks like pseudo gerrymandering. Doing basic math, you are looking at just under 13 square miles per muncipality. The town I reside in now is 6 times larger. Most other places and regions are laid out in this more conventional way. This leads to more integration, and in my view, more harmony amongst the general popluation.
Doubtful it is the case now, but I would think being a different kind of white person in certain neighborhoods could make it tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2023, 03:00 PM

961 posts, read 722,061 times
This poll is from forever ago (how was it even unearthed???) That said, I'm shocked it's this close frankly. West Coast by a mile. The northeast is structurally segregated, even if not politically. Yes, look at the sheer number of tiny towns & villages - does anyone have smaller school districts than MA, NY or NJ? They are that way for a reason, taxes be damned (people here love to complain about the property taxes, until they consider what would need to happen to reduce them, the horror).

That probably comes across as overly negative. I really do like the northeast, I promise. But even diversity statistics here in NJ, pound-for-pound one of the most diverse places on the continent, are wildly misleading.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:32 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Concur with across the board. This is someone as a native New Jerseyan born and raised. My school was snow white, and the parents of those kids would have a big problem with anyone who didn't look like them. My friends parents were asking of this all the times to the kids. I had one non-white student in 13 years I attended elemntary school, middle school, and finally high school. I was 9 miles away from another school district where the demographics would have been flipped on its head.

As a rule of thumb, northeasterners will say they are for equality, and speak one way, but act another way. There's a reason why there's 566 municipalities in just over 7300 square miles in New Jersey. Essex County and Bergen County in particular were carved up a certain way that almost looks like pseudo gerrymandering. Doing basic math, you are looking at just under 13 square miles per muncipality. The town I reside in now is 6 times larger. Most other places and regions are laid out in this more conventional way. This leads to more integration, and in my view, more harmony amongst the general popluation.
Yep. I was in Ridgewood NJ, an affluent “semi-diverse” town, the other day. I was walking downtown in front of a Japanese restaurant. A guy, his wife and his dog walked by and proceeded to sit at one of the outdoor tables. One of the workers at the Japenese restaurant came out and with a startle he said “NO DOGS. NO DOGS ALLOWED!” The guy with the dog (older white guy) said “why you gonna eat him chow-mein?” The. Poor guy was left dumbfounded and nobody intervened. He just walked back in and proceeded.

Imagine this in Raleigh? Greensboro? Orlando? Absolutely not. I think we overblow how integrated the Northeast is. Its diverse sure. Not integrated. All of my racist experiences I’ve encountered have been in the Northeast. Upstate NY and NJ, chiefly. Northeast culture is more NIMBY, you have your space/I have my space with bluntness mixed in there.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:38 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
This poll is from forever ago (how was it even unearthed???) That said, I'm shocked it's this close frankly. West Coast by a mile. The northeast is structurally segregated, even if not politically. Yes, look at the sheer number of tiny towns & villages - does anyone have smaller school districts than MA, NY or NJ? They are that way for a reason, taxes be damned (people here love to complain about the property taxes, until they consider what would need to happen to reduce them, the horror).

That probably comes across as overly negative. I really do like the northeast, I promise. But even diversity statistics here in NJ, pound-for-pound one of the most diverse places on the continent, are wildly misleading.
Here's a fun one.

Lawrence MA school district- 12,867 students

94.2% Latino
2.9% white

directly abuts...

North Andover MA school district- 4,450 students

14.9% Latino
71.3% white

Brockton MA school district- 14,906 students

59.3% Black
13.6% White

directly abuts

East Bridgewater MA school district- 2,063 students

6.0% Black
83.3% White

Now granted there are integrated school districts abutting Lawrence like Haverhill Methuen and now Dracut (emerging). As well as Brockton (Randolph, Avon, Stoughton). but there are still many non-integrated other abutters I didn't include like Andover near Lawrence and Whitman near Brockton.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:55 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yep. I was in Ridgewood NJ, an affluent “semi-diverse” town, the other day. I was walking downtown in front of a Japanese restaurant. A guy, his wife and his dog walked by and proceeded to sit at one of the outdoor tables. One of the workers at the Japenese restaurant came out and with a startle he said “NO DOGS. NO DOGS ALLOWED!” The guy with the dog (older white guy) said “why you gonna eat him chow-mein?” The. Poor guy was left dumbfounded and nobody intervened. He just walked back in and proceeded.

Imagine this in Raleigh? Greensboro? Orlando? Absolutely not. I think we overblow how integrated the Northeast is. Its diverse sure. Not integrated. All of my racist experiences I’ve encountered have been in the Northeast. Upstate NY and NJ, chiefly. Northeast culture is more NIMBY, you have your space/I have my space with bluntness mixed in there.
I hate reading this. and I certainly don't forgive this guy but it's like people in the northeast go straight for the jugular. So sad. I honestly can't imagine this happening anywhere out west but I never say never of course.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:55 PM

961 posts, read 722,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Here's a fun one.

Lawrence MA school district- 12,867 students

94.2% Latino
2.9% white

directly abuts...

North Andover MA school district- 4,450 students

14.9% Latino
71.3% white

Brockton MA school district- 14,906 students

59.3% Black
13.6% White

directly abuts

East Bridgewater MA school district- 2,063 students

6.0% Black
83.3% White

Now granted there are integrated school districts abutting Lawrence like Haverhill Methuen and now Dracut (emerging). As well as Brockton (Randolph, Avon, Stoughton). but there are still many non-integrated other abutters I didn't include like Andover near Lawrence and Whitman near Brockton.
Yup. Here's one in NJ, in abutting towns, whose town centers are 3 miles apart:

Glen Ridge
74% White
2% Black
HHI: >$200K

East Orange
2% White
77% Black
HHI: $51K

Could do this all day, but yeah...

Old 09-18-2023, 03:58 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I hate reading this. and I certainly don't forgive this guy but it's like people in the northeast go straight for the jugular. So sad. I honestly can't imagine this happening anywhere out west but I never say never of course.
Exactly.

Racism exists everywhere. But in the Northeast its more this stuff. More ingrained in society and accepted with segregation. Now that im back and work in the field, especially in a fity as segregated as NYC, its stark. Shocking.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 09-18-2023 at 04:07 PM..

Old 09-18-2023, 03:58 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,829 times
Never knew the northeast was that bad.

Old 09-18-2023, 04:03 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Yup. Here's one in NJ, in abutting towns, whose town centers are 3 miles apart:

Glen Ridge
74% White
2% Black
HHI: >$200K

East Orange
2% White
77% Black
HHI: $51K

Could do this all day, but yeah...
When a town like Glen Ridge is as white as it is- ina plurality black county like Essex, and next to other affluent towns that are diverse like Montclair...it tells me ALOT. That there is a deliberate effort amongst its citizenry to find ways to exclude people of color. Let's ignore East Orange because its bult for a poorer population. Whats Glen Ridge's excuse when there's Maplewood, South Orange and Montclair all in the same county and all well-to do but way more diverse?

It just signals to me that this is the town to move to if you dont want to 'deal with' black people. That that message is out there in backchannels and local knowledge.

Old 09-18-2023, 04:06 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,727,776 times
Well, I’ve never been anywhere as segregated as here where I am in NY, so there’s that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City