Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
San Francisco's downtown is better than Philly's, IMO, and definitely better than LA's by almost any measure.
Thats a pretty bald statement to make but I respect your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Could you expand on this? Because from a view, I always looked at Downtown Houston being denser than Downtown Atlanta.

Anyway, from a skyline point of view, I would say that Downtown Houston and Downtown Los Angeles are pretty identical. Street level is a different story though.

To me the feel at the street level in Atlanta is more vibrant than DT houston or Dallas, at least IMHO

Houston drops off basically immeadiately

in 2 or 3 blocks from anywhere in the DT it goes to this very quickly, moreso than Atlanta

downtown houston - Google Maps

Just an example but it is very hard to find locations with sustained density without gaps or any mixed use in Houston, to me different than Atlanta in this way

I really just chose randomly and am sure I will get people outlining a 4 block area or 5 block area, but it always gives way to this at least from my time there, then almost bam nothing when you get to the highways

Old 02-22-2011, 02:25 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Oh I see what you're saying. I thought you were talking about from a skyline view. The eastern and southeastern parts of Downtown Houston has always been underdeveloped for some reason. It gives way to stand alone buildings and parking lots. Atlanta has done a better job than Dallas and Houston by centering nearly everything in it's core. Houston spreads it out to the TMC, Galleria area (which I believe has more residents than downtown), Energy Corridor, and Greenspoint. Houston is trying to change that while at the same time, not ignore the other areas they built up.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:29 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
San Francisco's downtown is better than Philly's, IMO, and definitely better than LA's by almost any measure.

Yes, all things considered I think SF has the second most vibrant downtown in the US. Although the boundaries blur, downtown turns into the other districts around it. The overall density, feel, and vibrancy is only surpassed by New York.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:17 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Yes, all things considered I think SF has the second most vibrant downtown in the US. Although the boundaries blur, downtown turns into the other districts around it. The overall density, feel, and vibrancy is only surpassed by New York.
Second densest city after NYC, but not the most urban feeling, that would be Chicago.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:53 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Second densest city after NYC, but not the most urban feeling, that would be Chicago.

A case can be made for Chicago, it certainly has all the attributes. However, SF not only is more dense, but really feels denser and more vibrant. Chicago will blow you away with skyscrapers and overall size though.....

I rembember vividly my first visit to Chicago and being blown away by the skyline and mass of highrises, but being underwhelmed at the density and vibrancy.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
There are some blocks in downtown LA (judging by Google Streetview) I could almost mistake for NYC, or at least San Francisco. Don't think that's true of any other sunbelt city.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:42 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,874,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
A case can be made for Chicago, it certainly has all the attributes. However, SF not only is more dense, but really feels denser and more vibrant. Chicago will blow you away with skyscrapers and overall size though.....

I rembember vividly my first visit to Chicago and being blown away by the skyline and mass of highrises, but being underwhelmed at the density and vibrancy.
My family has lived in both and Chicago feels bigger just about any way you slice it. It's not as vibrant right in downtown in the Loop but most neighborhoods are teeming!

Old 02-22-2011, 05:00 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
There are some blocks in downtown LA (judging by Google Streetview) I could almost mistake for NYC, or at least San Francisco. Don't think that's true of any other sunbelt city.
well LA has almost twice as many people as the next largest sun belt city.

you have to remember LA is a city of 4Million. It is waaaay ahead of Houston, Phoenix, San Antonio, Dallas and San Diego. all of these cities were rather small when LA was hitting 2M

Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 PM

940 posts, read 2,026,960 times
^^ personally I think there are 4 major US city categories: Northeast, Midwest, West, and Sunbelt.

LA for me would is a Western city (more like Seattle, SF, Oakland, Portland and Denver than Houston, Atlanta, Dallas and Phoenix).

DC and New Orleans are tough for me to fit in anywhere. Honolulu and Miami seem alike, also. But once you start getting into all of that, you might as well start ripping apart the categories.

But "sunbelt" and "rustbelt" are waaaay too general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City