Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:11 PM

617 posts, read 1,424,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I was thinking that also. LA/San Diego seems just as logical as Philly/NJ/NYC.
If you look at a map the UA between NYC and Philly is much more connected than LA and SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 12:12 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
I was thinking that also. LA/San Diego seems just as logical as Philly/NJ/NYC.

The big military base is the barrier, think it is too many miles of nothing; but agree for the most part it is continuously developed there as well, would put the LA/SD area at 20 million

Maybe the US Gov't can sell off that prop and move the base inland and make up some of our deficit - that is some prime real estate

Edit: Do agree with Dtownboogie above in that it is not quite the same level of connectivity but pretty close really

Old 03-04-2011, 12:15 PM

818 posts, read 1,388,871 times
Danny are you an internet hawk? How do you manage to always find the articles everyone is after all the time..

Old 03-04-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Soon upper CT, and MASS will join them. Well, I don't know about soon. DC might join them before it's the other way around. But don't you think it'll be rough that Philly will play second fiddle to NYC after being so dominant by it's self ruling South Jersey? Now NYC will be the BIG FISH in the Urban area.

Seriously in most ways it always has in the overall American context

end of the day none of this changes how people live or what they associate to anyway; NJ will always NYC influence in the North and Philly influence in the South - the center is a little grey and has been for quite some time

Old 03-04-2011, 12:22 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The big military base is the barrier, think it is too many miles of nothing; but agree for the most part it is continuously developed there as well, would put the LA/SD area at 20 million

Maybe the US Gov't can sell off that prop and move the base inland and make up some of our deficit - that is some prime real estate

Edit: Do agree with Dtownboogie above in that it is not quite the same level of connectivity but pretty close really
But that's what's weird -- by putting Mission Viejo (South OC) and San Diego together, they have already said the big military base doesn't matter.

So, either lump LA and SD together, or put Mission Viejo (and South OC) in with the LA urban area.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Back in August the US Census was conducting their studies (and taking personal responses from American people) on their new definition for "Urban Areas" (UA's). The following screenshots, are their ideas so far taken with the 2008 estimates for all the areas, so for places that saw an "undercount" at MSA & CSA level compared to their 2008 & 2009 estimates will see an "undercount" compared to this picture below too. There is definitely going to be alterations in the numbers, but nothing more than like 200,000-400,000 at the most for any of these places.

Excerpt from their site:

Source: Federal Register | Proposed Urban Area Criteria for the 2010 Census

Any thoughts?

Enjoy.

If NY is going to go all the way to Lancaster PA, why stop there? Lancaster is almost equidistant between Philly and Baltimore and the description of the places already noted include parts of DE and MD. Once in Baltimore, D.C. makes logical sense to add. Also, the sprawling southern suburbs of D.C. are getting closer and closer to Richmond. So, why not include Richmond?

Whenever I have driven between the north and the south on I-95 or I-95 & I-85, I can feel my blood pressure decrease after I get 20 miles south of Richmond. My body tells me that megalopolis ends near the I-95/I-85 split.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
But that's what's weird -- by putting Mission Viejo (South OC) and San Diego together, they have already said the big military base doesn't matter.

So, either lump LA and SD together, or put Mission Viejo (and South OC) in with the LA urban area.

This is an old version UA map; not sure where Mission Viejo fits in this map; maybe you can better describe (I think MV is the area seperated and connected to SD along the Pacific below the gap)

185 miles across

Old 03-04-2011, 12:29 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
I'm still trying to fathom at the possibility of what the devil their economic output is going to look like (GDP). If I believe correctly if they should be around $2.5 Trillion, meaning Tokyo (which is the largest in the world) at $2.1 Trillion will be surpassed indefinitely.

Bad news for Tokyo, losing some bragging rights but it was bound to happen either way. Japan's economy has been in constant stagnation since the early 1990's and all signs have it at showing signs of decline economically due to some labor issues and shortages of laborers and population decrease underway. I hope for the best in Japan, but they are being surpassed one by one.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If NY is going to go all the way to Lancaster PA, why stop there? Lancaster is almost equidistant between Philly and Baltimore and the description of the places already noted include parts of DE and MD. Once in Baltimore, D.C. makes logical sense to add. Also, the sprawling southern suburbs of D.C. are getting closer and closer to Richmond. So, why not include Richmond?

Whenever I have driven between the north and the south on I-95 or I-95 & I-85, I can feel my blood pressure decrease after I get 20 miles south of Richmond. My body tells me that megalopolis ends near the I-95/I-85 split.

It does not go as far west as Lancaster; does go to Reading which is connected by continuous development west of Philly

The DE and MD parts were always part of the UA of Philly, just sliver in the NE corner of MD below Wilminton DE; to the South in Cecil County MD the UA of DC is just a few miles starting at Harve de Grace and the susquahanna river

Old 03-04-2011, 12:38 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I'm still trying to fathom at the possibility of what the devil their economic output is going to look like (GDP). If I believe correctly if they should be around $2.5 Trillion, meaning Tokyo (which is the largest in the world) at $2.1 Trillion will be surpassed indefinitely.

Bad news for Tokyo, losing some bragging rights but it was bound to happen either way. Japan's economy has been in constant stagnation since the early 1990's and all signs have it at showing signs of decline economically due to some labor issues and shortages of laborers and population decrease underway. I hope for the best in Japan, but they are being surpassed one by one.
holy smokes.

Well nice to see the US at number 1

that should also make NY pull way ahead of London on some rankings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City