Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:41 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This is an old version UA map; not sure where Mission Viejo fits in this map; maybe you can better describe (I think MV is the area seperated and connected to SD along the Pacific below the gap)

185 miles across
Here is Google Earth:

Mission Viejo is north of Camp Pendleton and the "buffer" it provides between San Diego and L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 12:52 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Here is Google Earth:

Mission Viejo is north of Camp Pendleton and the "buffer" it provides between San Diego and L.A.
what is the non UA above MV on the map I post. I have driven this a few times between LA and SD but dont remember the large gap above MV

Old 03-04-2011, 12:55 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
It does not go as far west as Lancaster; does go to Reading which is connected by continuous development west of Philly

The DE and MD parts were always part of the UA of Philly, just sliver in the NE corner of MD below Wilminton DE; to the South in Cecil County MD the UA of DC is just a few miles starting at Harve de Grace and the susquahanna river
Look on the first page and the chart. Lancaster is listed by name. So, in fact, it does go that fart west in this scenario.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:57 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Quote:
what is the non UA above MV on the map I post. I have driven this a few times between LA and SD but dont remember the large gap above MV
It's Irvine and the former El Toro Marine base. But since they are going to build a ton of homes (plus a park) on the former base, it's not going to be "non-urban" for long. Even today I'd call it semi-urban, since Irvine is full of planned neighborhoods.

And the Santa Ana Mountains are to the east of Mission Viejo.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Look on the first page and the chart. Lancaster is listed by name. So, in fact, it does go that fart west in this scenario.

Ah I missed that. I will say that out the route 30 corrider from West Chester to Exton to Downingtown to Coatsville to Lancaster it is continuously developed, though rather narrow.

Lancaster may actually be closer to Baltimore but there is a big gap in development heading toward baltimore that does not exist heading to Philly

Old 03-04-2011, 01:01 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
Quote:
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Lakeland-Winter HavenTampa-St. Petersburg, FL; Lakeland, FL; Winter Haven, FL; Brooksville, FL2,719,812
Um Winter Haven is pretty much already considered part of Orlando metro.

Quote:
Orlando-Ocala-KissimmeeOrlando, FL; Ocala, FL; Kissimmee, FL; Lady Lake, FL; Leesburg-Eustis, FL1,814,061
Really Orlando all the way up to Ocala? That's a whole lot of empty land right there. And what happened to Seminole county which is already in/is metro Orlando?

And I don't at all understand the methodology but Miami apperently didn't qualify to even be listed.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
It's Irvine and the former El Toro Marine base. But since they are going to build a ton of homes (plus a park) on the former base, it's not going to be "non-urban" for long. Even today I'd call it semi-urban, since Irvine is full of planned neighborhoods.

And the Santa Ana Mountains are to the east of Mission Viejo.

well then sounds like only a matter of time; I agree the stretch seems to be built out wherever it has been possible to

Old 03-04-2011, 01:05 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Back in August the US Census was conducting their studies (and taking personal responses from American people) on their new definition for "Urban Areas" (UA's). The following screenshots, are their ideas so far taken with the 2008 estimates for all the areas, so for places that saw an "undercount" at MSA & CSA level compared to their 2008 & 2009 estimates will see an "undercount" compared to this picture below too. There is definitely going to be alterations in the numbers, but nothing more than like 200,000-400,000 at the most for any of these places.

Excerpt from their site:

Source: Federal Register | Proposed Urban Area Criteria for the 2010 Census

Any thoughts?

Enjoy.
LOL!! I wonder if whoever put this together has heard of Minneapols - St. Paul, which would more than likely be right behind Seattle.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Um Winter Haven is pretty much already considered part of Orlando metro.

Really Orlando all the way up to Ocala? That's a whole lot of empty land right there. And what happened to Seminole county which is already in/is metro Orlando?

And I don't at all understand the methodology but Miami apperently didn't qualify to even be listed.

Yeah where is Miami - under the old UAs it was either 4th or 5th largest ahead of DFW, Boston, and Houston and about equal maybe even ahead of Philly

Old 03-04-2011, 01:13 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Yeah where is Miami - under the old UAs it was either 4th or 5th largest ahead of DFW, Boston, and Houston and about equal maybe even ahead of Philly
They are only mapping out new scenarios. Miami's scenario won't change therefore it's not listed. Miami's urbanized area might stretch North a county or two but there's nothing really linking it to the next nearest urban area (Orlando).
However, I can see Orlando and Tampa merging in this new scenario. The corridor on I-4 gets more developed as the years pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City