Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What area looks/feels more Asian?
New York 19 11.52%
California 146 88.48%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:39 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan11490 View Post
There is no contest, California is more asian PERIOD.
(Coming from a New Yorker)

Agree - this is the answer

Old 07-14-2011, 12:57 PM

161 posts, read 182,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Okay I think I've understand now. You've established that Fillipinos aren't Asians, the 600 million people who live in SE Asia are somehow less Asian and important than South Asians, and Mexico---the second largest economy in Latin America, is somehow less significant than small islands like Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic... Okay dokey!

Also you should make the claim that the large populations of Persians, Afghans, Sikhs, Japanese, and Hmongs in California aren't important because they don't come from the right parts of Asia and somehow only count as half a point on your ethnic scorecard.
there are probably more afghans, sikhs, japanese, and hmong, and everything else in the world are more numerous in nyc than any singular california city. sorry, thats the truth. show me proof otherwise. there are definitely more chinese and indians in nyc than anywhere else in the us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Hmmm... still behind by about 80% in this poll.

C'mon Pollster31, it appears not enough people are swayed by your "logic"! Try harder!

I know, rather than saying certain parts of Asia (i.e. Southeast Asia) don't count, try convincing everyone that there are "Super-Asians". "Super-Asians" can be Indians and whatever other ethnic Asian group that NY is so full of.

That way, when people try to argue facts with you, you can just say "Talk to the hand! We're full of Super-Asians!"

And then NY will win. As it must. Because it is NY.
now u get it. so you admit that southeast asians are overrepresented in cali. its not representative of asia. thats why ny/nj is way better for asians than cali is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
When it comes to South Asian population - NY State/NYC is king. Summary 1 File for New York was just released to some impressive figures.
exactly!

Quote:
Having said that, when it comes to South-East Asians, and East Asians, California blows New York out of the water. Not to say NY isnt well represented, because it is (just as California has a healthy and significant South Asian population), I think it is safe to say that Cali beats NY in terms of East and South-East Asian populations, and New York comes out on top in terms of South Asian population. Though the growth in the Indian population in the Bay Area is most impressive, a lot of them are H1 Visa holders and transient in nature.
california doesnt blow east asians out of the water. there are more koreans and chinese in nyc than in any cali city. again, californias size is the reason why it seems that there are more asians there than anywhere else.

maybe southeast asians nyc loses in, but its not like we cant get good pho here. ive met plenty of southeast asians here, many fleeing from cali which is becoming more like mexico everyday.

see cali posters. data supports my position more than yours, along with common sense logic with size. stop fallin back on your state or suburbs; is your city not good enough for comparisons? (by city, i mean la..not your #2,3,4,5,6, city)

Old 07-14-2011, 01:21 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollster31 View Post
now u get it. so you admit that southeast asians are overrepresented in cali. its not representative of asia. thats why ny/nj is way better for asians than cali is.
Keep up the good fight! I am of German heritage and I tell my extended Swedish family that they are not real Europeans because Scandinavia has far fewer people than Germany. Plus it's so far North! So they don't really count as Europeans. They tell me I'm wrong, but you and I both know I'm totally right.

(I still think you should be talking about "Super-Asians" though, maybe then your point would get across...) California totally sucks for Super-Asians!!! Right? All those Vietnamese and Thai and Filipino people wouldn't know the REAL Asia unless it smacked them upside the head.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:30 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Funny thread. Pollster deserves a comedy award. I love that guy/girl. I'm over here dying of laughter.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:17 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Funny thread. Pollster deserves a comedy award. I love that guy/girl. I'm over here dying of laughter.
I have to admit it is pretty damn funny lol.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:45 PM

161 posts, read 182,061 times
again, nyc has over 1 million asians living in the city limits. los angeles is a far 2nd with less than 500,000. 1 million is more than 500,000. sorry cali posters, its the truth.

we also have more latinos (who arent 99% mexican) than la, blacks, whites, and everything. any ethnic group, we probably have the most of in the country. so why are people so set on cali?

Old 07-14-2011, 03:08 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,889 times
Quote:
now u get it.
He was being sarcastic. LMAO

Old 07-14-2011, 03:10 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
again, nyc has over 1 million asians living in the city limits. los angeles is a far 2nd with less than 500,000. 1 million is more than 500,000. sorry cali posters, its the truth.

we also have more latinos (who arent 99% mexican) than la, blacks, whites, and everything. any ethnic group, we probably have the most of in the country. so why are people so set on cali?
Because we do, indeed, have more Asians in the state of California, than the state of NY. Why can't you wrap your mind around this? I mean, I know it's difficult to take in all the awesomeness in CA in one fell swoop, but it's cool man... we're all here for you

Old 07-14-2011, 03:22 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Keep up the good fight! I am of German heritage and I tell my extended Swedish family that they are not real Europeans because Scandinavia has far fewer people than Germany. Plus it's so far North! So they don't really count as Europeans. They tell me I'm wrong, but you and I both know I'm totally right.
I was thinking the same thing since I am of predominantly Swedish descent! I should go on Facebook and tell all my cousins (Bjorn, Hannah, Magnus, Josefine, etc) that they aren't really European because of their isolated geography; the fact that Volvo and Saab make fewer cars than VW and Opel; no one buys Swedish beer, etc.

Quote:
(I still think you should be talking about "Super-Asians" though, maybe then your point would get across...) California totally sucks for Super-Asians!!! Right? All those Vietnamese and Thai and Filipino people wouldn't know the REAL Asia unless it smacked them upside the head.
I informed my girlfriend that she wasn't a real Asian on account of the fact that she was born in Vietnam, which is not really part of Asia. Speaking Viet and Chinese, being raised Buddhist, shopping at Ranch 99 Market, saying "oh my gah!" despite having lived here for half her life be damned... she's not a real Asian, no. She got confused and was like, "what are you talking about? That's so stupid," with that adorable little non-Asian Vietnamese-lisp-palate thing she does.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:37 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Quote:
there are probably more afghans, sikhs, japanese, and hmong, and everything else in the world are more numerous in nyc than any singular california city. sorry, thats the truth. show me proof otherwise. there are definitely more chinese and indians in nyc than anywhere else in the us.
Okay chief, if you really want it...

The largest Afghan population in the US is in Fremont, California

Largest U.S. Afghan community supports attacks, but anxious about repercussions

The most Persians in the US are in Los Angeles.

Tehrangeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's more Hmongs in Fresno, California than in all of New York State.

Migration Information Source - The Foreign-Born Hmong in the United States

2005ACSArticle

Quote:
The 2005 ACS estimated the top 10 states in terms of Hmong-American populations as follows: California
(65,345), Minnesota (46,352), Wisconsin (38,814), (Michigan (7,769), Colorado (4,285), North Carolina
(4,172), Georgia (3,324), Missouri (1,553), Florida (1,423) and Washington (1,380).
There's more people of Japanese ethnicity in Los Angeles(35,104) than in New York(24,512).

Los Angeles city, California - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2005-2009

New York city, New York- ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2005-2009

Reportedly the largest Sikh population in the US is in Yuba City, California. Although the census doesn't keep track of religion so that's difficult to tell. So possibly within New York's large Indian population there could be more Sikhs.

Sikhism in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But now you'll make the argument now, that since those populations are spread throughout the state instead of all packed into one city it doesn't count. Because obviously the topic being debated isn't all of California vs. New York.

Look, no one's debating that New York City isn't incredibly diverse. There's a huge Indian-American population that's growing fast and unique for the US along with lots of other ethnicities including a huge Chinese population. All we're debating at this point are your ridiculous claims that somehow nowhere in California can ever be that diverse(or that there's isn't a huge and diverse Asian population), because in your mind some ethnicities apparently are worth more points than other ethnicities. Which honestly is a little insulting if you're Fillipino or Vietnamese or Cambodian or so on(or Mexican or Salvadorean) Right?

Last edited by Deezus; 07-14-2011 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City