Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What area looks/feels more Asian?
New York 19 11.52%
California 146 88.48%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:27 AM

161 posts, read 182,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
finally, someone who's got a clue. not to mention that LA hugs the coast north to south. upstate ny state takes up 80% of the land mass and its all inland.

cali people have no idea about states being close. like ct, ma, md, pa nj, dc, va

i know. i've driven in cali. you can drive for 300 miles and only see cali plates. can't do that on the east coast.
same people who think nj has nothing to do with nyc
agreed. californias superlatives is only cuz its so big. below the surface, all u have is a state that released illegal immigration on the rest of us, while all the legal immigrants ended up in ny. hell, ny and nj (and pa) have more to do with each other than la and sd, never mind sf and the central valley cowtowns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Barely? 650k fewer in NJ and NY than in Socal alone is barely? This from the guy that said that the 300k fewer Asians in SF than NYC was a big deal? LOL.
yeah, but its going to surpass norcal soon. dont u worry. theres a reason why us new yorkers respect socal/la more than norcal/sf. everyone wants to be in la/ny, not sf, and that includes asians.

Quote:
But... you don't mind including South Asians i.e. Indians, Pakistanis, Bengalis (who are conveniently generally better represented proportionately in your region than in CA), even though they are even less like East Asians than Southeast Asians in terms of genetics, religion, and general culture?
south asia is the most populated part of asia. southeast asia is the least populated part of asia. how is that hard to understand that south asia is more embedded into the continent than southeast asia by virtue of its size and population. its like the same thing with mexico vs the rest of latin america. peru, chile, argentina, colombia, ecudaor, and venezuela, along with cuba, dominican republic, puerto rico are more important to latin america than mexico and central america is. if you cut out south asia from asia, then it wouldnt be asia.

Quote:
So, it's a power issue now, is it? LOL. So, countries like Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam, etc. don't really count as "Asian" because they don't have the power that China, Japan, and Korea do? What are they, then?
they only matter to u because california has them in large numbers. again, if it werent for southeast asia, then there would barely be that many asians left in cali.

Quote:
So, now you more or less are saying that there are two groups of Asians who are relevant (one of which I have this strange inkling you belong to...), which just so happen to have better representation in the area that you think is unequivocally untouchable, even when confronted with the fact that you're not ahead here.
no, im saying that ny/nj are more representative of asia than cali is, just like its more representative of latin america, europe, africa, etc etc.

Quote:
Either way, CA has 1.25 million ehnic Chinese; NY has 576k. We have more than double what you do. You have 140k Koreans... we have 452k. We also have 273k Japanese (East Asian by your definiton)... you have *cough* 37k. Yeah, you guys are pwnzin' the East Asian population... haha.

There are about 588k Indian Asians in California, and 606k in NY and NJ, so you have about 18k more... so... I guess that 588k is "barely any," but 606k is an "absolutely adequate" number?

And if we are to take raw numbers into account, you guys barely have any Southeast Asians - 49k Vietnamese between both states, versus 591k in CA? 1,195,000 Filipinos here vs. 215k over there?
again, that is more about californias size than it is about anyhting else. cut california down to a nyc size, and see how many asians are left in that california.

Quote:
Yeah we just have more Latinos and Asians than you
i didnt know all of latin america is just mexico and central america. what about the caribbean and south america? oh yeah, cali doesnt have any. you can keep your southeast asians and central americans, we can keep the whole world!

Old 07-14-2011, 12:58 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollster31 View Post
agreed. californias superlatives is only cuz its so big. below the surface, all u have is a state that released illegal immigration on the rest of us, while all the legal immigrants ended up in ny. hell, ny and nj (and pa) have more to do with each other than la and sd, never mind sf and the central valley cowtowns.

yeah, but its going to surpass norcal soon. dont u worry. theres a reason why us new yorkers respect socal/la more than norcal/sf. everyone wants to be in la/ny, not sf, and that includes asians.

south asia is the most populated part of asia. southeast asia is the least populated part of asia. how is that hard to understand that south asia is more embedded into the continent than southeast asia by virtue of its size and population. its like the same thing with mexico vs the rest of latin america. peru, chile, argentina, colombia, ecudaor, and venezuela, along with cuba, dominican republic, puerto rico are more important to latin america than mexico and central america is. if you cut out south asia from asia, then it wouldnt be asia.

they only matter to u because california has them in large numbers. again, if it werent for southeast asia, then there would barely be that many asians left in cali.

no, im saying that ny/nj are more representative of asia than cali is, just like its more representative of latin america, europe, africa, etc etc.

again, that is more about californias size than it is about anyhting else. cut california down to a nyc size, and see how many asians are left in that california.

i didnt know all of latin america is just mexico and central america. what about the caribbean and south america? oh yeah, cali doesnt have any. you can keep your southeast asians and central americans, we can keep the whole world!
Since we've already decided that Southeast Asians "don't count" as Asians, I think we need to come up with a new classification for them. How bout "people from the land of shifting mists" or "the invisible people"?

Old 07-14-2011, 01:55 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollster31 View Post
south asia is the most populated part of asia. southeast asia is the least populated part of asia. how is that hard to understand that south asia is more embedded into the continent than southeast asia by virtue of its size and population. its like the same thing with mexico vs the rest of latin america. peru, chile, argentina, colombia, ecudaor, and venezuela, along with cuba, dominican republic, puerto rico are more important to latin america than mexico and central america is. if you cut out south asia from asia, then it wouldnt be asia. !
Okay I think I've understand now. You've established that Fillipinos aren't Asians, the 600 million people who live in SE Asia are somehow less Asian and important than South Asians, and Mexico---the second largest economy in Latin America, is somehow less significant than small islands like Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic... Okay dokey!

Also you should make the claim that the large populations of Persians, Afghans, Sikhs, Japanese, and Hmongs in California aren't important because they don't come from the right parts of Asia and somehow only count as half a point on your ethnic scorecard.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:42 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,341 times
Hmmm... still behind by about 80% in this poll.

C'mon Pollster31, it appears not enough people are swayed by your "logic"! Try harder!

I know, rather than saying certain parts of Asia (i.e. Southeast Asia) don't count, try convincing everyone that there are "Super-Asians". "Super-Asians" can be Indians and whatever other ethnic Asian group that NY is so full of.

That way, when people try to argue facts with you, you can just say "Talk to the hand! We're full of Super-Asians!"

And then NY will win. As it must. Because it is NY.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:41 AM

379 posts, read 468,702 times
When it comes to South Asian population - NY State/NYC is king. Summary 1 File for New York was just released to some impressive figures.

New York City -

Asian Indian: 192,229
Bangladesh: 53,174
Bhutan: 345
Nepal: 5,681
Pakistan: 41,887
Sri Lanka: 3,696
Total: 297,012 (4% of NYC population - 30% of Asian Population)

New York State -

Asian Indian: 313,620
Bangladesh: 57,761
Bhutan: 1,534
Nepal: 6,844
Pakistan: 63,696
Sri Lanka: 5,196
Total: 448,651

The NYC CSA South Asian populations cannot yet be calculated as New Jersey's Summary 1 File has yet to be released, but thus far the numbers are already looking massive:

Asian Indian: 573,349
Bangladesh: 57,730
Bhutan: 379
Nepal: 6,516
Pakistan: 60,987
Sri Lanka: 4,843
Total: 703,804

Of course this number should grow once the New Jersey totals for Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka are released.

To put this in perspective, the South Asian stats for the entire state of California are as such:

Asian Indian: 528,176
Bangladesh: 9,268
Bhutan: 694
Nepal: 5,618
Pakistan: 46,780
Sri Lanka: 10,240
Total: 600,776

Having said that, when it comes to South-East Asians, and East Asians, California blows New York out of the water. Not to say NY isnt well represented, because it is (just as California has a healthy and significant South Asian population), I think it is safe to say that Cali beats NY in terms of East and South-East Asian populations, and New York comes out on top in terms of South Asian population. Though the growth in the Indian population in the Bay Area is most impressive, a lot of them are H1 Visa holders and transient in nature.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:42 AM

179 posts, read 402,662 times
There is no contest, California is more asian PERIOD.
(Coming from a New Yorker)

Old 07-14-2011, 12:20 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i have driven there. i've been to cali over 5 times spanning over a month

90% in LA (rented a car) and 10% in SF (rented a car)

aside from an occasional HI or AZ, UT plate, its overwhelmingly CA. my cousin who moved there wanted to keep her NJ plates to keep it real
HI, AZ or UT? Thanks for again confirming that you don't know what you're talking about. Just keep the misinformation coming.

I see about 10 times as many NJ, TX, FL and NC plates out here and 100x more NV, OR, and WA as I ever do UT plates. HI plates are out here but not all that common, AZ we do see fairly regularly.

Nice try guessing though. And even if you did manage to be the one and only person to pass through here and ONLY see those 3 plates, that still blows your retarded claim of "driving for 300 miles and only seeing CA plates" wide open.

I've driven through Virginia and only noticed NC and NJ plates in a single outing before. I guess the East Coast only has 3 states you'll see plates from now based on that?

I've lived in CA for almost 34 years. Your observations are bogus, and there's a reason you only find yourself in agreement with trolls. Keep burying your head in the sand when the truth comes around and telling yourself whatever version of reality you dig the most if you want to man, but this is why we all are laughing and shaking our heads at you.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I'm surprised this thread is so long!

It's obvious California is more Asian than New York overall. That being said, New York does not have any sort of shortage of Asians. We have plenty of strong Asian communities of various ethnicity, and all are vibrant and growing. As an Indian who has lived in both San Francisco and New York, one thing I must say about the New York/New Jersey area is that there is noticeably more diversity within the Indian community here than there is in the Bay Area and especially LA.

The Asian community overall in the US is growing. Strong Asian communities and great Asian cuisine are no longer limited to California and NY/NJ anymore like the once were. I've seen vibrant and diverse Asian communities in many cities in the US, and I've had Asian cuisine in cities like Houston, Philly, and Chicago that was just as good as the best stuff I've had in New York, Jersey, LA, and the Bay.

Anyways, I still expect California to lead the nation for many many years to come as far as the Asian population goes.
Holy crap! FINALLY someone from that side of the country who actually thinks straight returns to the thread! I almost forgot you guys existed! Lol.

Good, accurate, non-biased post.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:30 PM

Yesterday, 11:27 PM Remove user from ignore list
pollster31 This message is hidden because pollster31 is on your ignore list.

^^ This was clearly long overdue.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Hmmm... still behind by about 80% in this poll.

C'mon Pollster31, it appears not enough people are swayed by your "logic"! Try harder!

I know, rather than saying certain parts of Asia (i.e. Southeast Asia) don't count, try convincing everyone that there are "Super-Asians". "Super-Asians" can be Indians and whatever other ethnic Asian group that NY is so full of.

That way, when people try to argue facts with you, you can just say "Talk to the hand! We're full of Super-Asians!"

And then NY will win. As it must. Because it is NY.
LMAO exactly!

Oh boy, anyone who has been riding with that clown (I can think of two posters so far) has really made themselves look like even huger clowns for following suit lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City