Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What area looks/feels more Asian?
New York 19 11.52%
California 146 88.48%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 04:31 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

I informed my girlfriend that she wasn't a real Asian on account of the fact that she was born in Vietnam, which is not really part of Asia. Speaking Viet and Chinese, being raised Buddhist, shopping at Ranch 99 Market, saying "oh my gah!" despite having lived here for half her life be damned... she's not a real Asian, no. She got confused and was like, "what are you talking about? That's so stupid," with that adorable little non-Asian Vietnamese-lisp-palate thing she does.
Dang, I feel really sorry for you. If you like REAL Asians (and not those fake Vietnamese kind), you'll have to get a new girlfriend.

I hope she doesn't take the break-up too hard.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:01 PM

161 posts, read 182,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Okay chief, if you really want it...

The largest Afghan population in the US is in Fremont, California

Largest U.S. Afghan community supports attacks, but anxious about repercussions

The most Persians in the US are in Los Angeles.

Tehrangeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's more Hmongs in Fresno, California than in all of New York State.

Migration Information Source - The Foreign-Born Hmong in the United States

2005ACSArticle

There's more people of Japanese ethnicity in Los Angeles(35,104) than in New York(24,512).

Los Angeles city, California - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2005-2009

New York city, New York- ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2005-2009

Reportedly the largest Sikh population in the US is in Yuba City, California. Although the census doesn't keep track of religion so that's difficult to tell. So possibly within New York's large Indian population there could be more Sikhs.

Sikhism in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Those are all nice links, but as far as i know, its 2011. things change from one year to the next. i know an afghan person and im pretty sure they've never heard of fremont, cali. i know persian people here that dont even know that persian people live in la. and hmong? we probably have more of them, but they probably dont complete the census like many immigrant groups here dont. nyc has one of the lowest rates of census return in the us since we are so large.

more sikhs in a small mexican central valley town than in new york city, the king of south asians in america? sure

Quote:
But now you'll make the argument now, that since those populations are spread throughout the state instead of all packed into one city it doesn't count. Because obviously the topic being debated isn't all of California vs. New York.
the thread said 'more asian' nyc physically looks more like the average asian city especially in chinatown, flushing, k-block, sunset park because they are dense and have alot of signs in asian languages. whats there not to understand. why hasnt anyone posted a list of asian majority neighborhoods like i did or any pictures like i did.

Quote:
Look, no one's debating that New York City isn't incredibly diverse. There's a huge Indian-American population that's growing fast and unique for the US along with lots of other ethnicities including a huge Chinese population. All we're debating at this point are your ridiculous claims that somehow nowhere in California can ever be that diverse(or that there's isn't a huge and diverse Asian population), because in your mind some ethnicities apparently are worth more points than other ethnicities. Which honestly is a little insulting if you're Fillipino or Vietnamese or Cambodian or so on(or Mexican or Salvadorean) Right?
again, filipinos are more like hispanics than asian. most of the filipinos i know here chill more with the other hispanic groups than with the core asian groups, like chinese and indians. they were colonized by spain for 300 years and so was the rest of latin america.

and i never said that mexicans or salvadoreans dont count, or neither do southeast asians. i said that they are overrepresented in the bigger scheme of things. most new yorkers and most americans outside of california will straight up agree that new york has a larger view of the world than cali does. im tired of cali posters trying to claim their diversity when in fact, places like chicago, phily, boston, dc, miami, houston, dallas are tons more diverse.

asia is mostly south and east asian. thats the truth. can either accept it or not. just like latin america; most of latin america lives outside of central america and mexico. we have more of the groups that arent there, while still having southeast asians, mexicans, central americans. thats what all the new york posters are trying to say.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:29 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollster31 View Post
Those are all nice links, but as far as i know, its 2011. things change from one year to the next. i know an afghan person and im pretty sure they've never heard of fremont, cali. i know persian people here that dont even know that persian people live in la. and hmong? we probably have more of them, but they probably dont complete the census like many immigrant groups here dont. nyc has one of the lowest rates of census return in the us since we are so large.

more sikhs in a small mexican central valley town than in new york city, the king of south asians in america? sure

the thread said 'more asian' nyc physically looks more like the average asian city especially in chinatown, flushing, k-block, sunset park because they are dense and have alot of signs in asian languages. whats there not to understand. why hasnt anyone posted a list of asian majority neighborhoods like i did or any pictures like i did.

again, filipinos are more like hispanics than asian. most of the filipinos i know here chill more with the other hispanic groups than with the core asian groups, like chinese and indians. they were colonized by spain for 300 years and so was the rest of latin america.

and i never said that mexicans or salvadoreans dont count, or neither do southeast asians. i said that they are overrepresented in the bigger scheme of things. most new yorkers and most americans outside of california will straight up agree that new york has a larger view of the world than cali does. im tired of cali posters trying to claim their diversity when in fact, places like chicago, phily, boston, dc, miami, houston, dallas are tons more diverse.

asia is mostly south and east asian. thats the truth. can either accept it or not. just like latin america; most of latin america lives outside of central america and mexico. we have more of the groups that arent there, while still having southeast asians, mexicans, central americans. thats what all the new york posters are trying to say.

HA HA HA HA HA... we're being punked, right? This can't be serious? "I know an Afghan person"? Manny Pacquiao is Hispanic? Dallas is more diverse than L.A.? W...T...F...?

(BTW -- MOST of the NY posters have agreed that CA is more "Asian-oriented" than NY.)

Old 07-14-2011, 06:44 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollster31 View Post
So you don't actually have any proof that what I'm saying isn't true other than some quotes from your friends and guesses with absolutely no evidence. As for Hmongs, we know mostly where they're settled since they were refugees for the most part and came to specific parts of the US.

Quote:
Hey I said it might be true that there's more Sikhs in New York than the heavily Sikh region north of Sacramento--once again though--prove me wrong.

Quote:
the thread said 'more asian' nyc physically looks more like the average asian city especially in chinatown, flushing, k-block, sunset park because they are dense and have alot of signs in asian languages. whats there not to understand. why hasnt anyone posted a list of asian majority neighborhoods like i did
Go back and read the thread then. People refered to plenty of Asian neighborhoods and cities like areas of the San Gabriel Valley, LA's Koreatown and Thaitown, all of San Francisco's Chinese neighborhoods, the mostly Asian city of Fremont, and the surviving Japantowns in California and so on.

Quote:
Fillipinos have Spanish influence from their history, but they're hardly comprable to most Hispanic immigrants and Spanish hasn't been commonly spoken over the last century. Culturally they're unique but still closer to other parts of Southeast Asia like the Malays along with some Chinese influence then they would be to someone from Latin America.

Quote:
and i never said that mexicans or salvadoreans dont count, or neither do southeast asians. i said that they are overrepresented in the bigger scheme of things.
One could also make the equally weak claim that Puerto Ricans and Domincans are likewise vastly overrepresented in New York and Mexicans are underrepresented. But it isn't as if every ethnicity has to be proportionally represented everywhere. It's just the result of geographic settlement and economic patterns.

Quote:
most new yorkers and most americans outside of california will straight up agree that new york has a larger view of the world than cali does.
Never said New York City wasn't more diverse than any other city. But the state of California is still more Asian as a whole than New York is.

Quote:
im tired of cali posters trying to claim their diversity when in fact, places like chicago, phily, boston, dc, miami, houston, dallas are tons more diverse.
Now you're really stretching it. LA isn't diverse because there are too many Mexicans there, but Houston and Dallas are suddenly "tons more diverse"... Sure.

Quote:
Here we go again!

And once again one could say that most of Latin America lives outside of Puerto Rico and the Domincan Republic--which makes up most of New York's Hispanic population--so what?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:55 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
HA HA HA HA HA... we're being punked, right? This can't be serious? "I know an Afghan person"? Manny Pacquiao is Hispanic? Dallas is more diverse than L.A.? W...T...F...?
Honestly, I think that's the case. He came out of nowhere to debate this...

Old 07-14-2011, 08:48 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Wow, I feel like I lost a few brain cells by logging in and reading this drivel on my own thread. We should credit pollster with one thing though: he brought together LA and Bay Area posters in a way that would haven't been otherwise possible without the intervention of someone who is arguing something that is so nearly set in stone that it's amazing that it's still being argued.

Seriously, even if you take the less urban counties, such as Fresno (9.6% Asian) or San Joaquin Counties (14.4% Asian) (latter is becoming Bay Area exurb, but still isn't officially through the census), they STILL have a higher percentage of Asians than New York State and New Jersey, both separately and combined. San Joaquin County ALONE has a higher percentage of Asians than New York City as a whole. We aren't talking about places that are extremely urban either. If you don't believe me, knock yourself out.

American FactFinder

Here's what most of Fresno and San Joaquin Counties look like

Yes, there are a lot of Mexicans, but out of all the rural areas in the United States, I'd argue that California's is amongst the most multicultural. Aside from Soviet-era Kazakhstan, it's probably one of the most multicultural in the world. Feel free to disagree if you wish (which you probably will in some way)

New York and New Jersey are getting there with an Asian population, along with other places in the country. I'm GLAD that it isn't just a West Coast thing anymore. Why does it have to be a zero sum gain? Can't we just appreciate the differences and move on from there?

I'll post numbers on the other ethnic groups really soon. This site is becoming too crazy.

I love how, as a Filipino American, I am not an Asian but Hispanic (which is fine but grossly inaccurate), but somehow my presence in this country counts way less than someone else because my ancestral country is "less powerful" But whatever, my life will go on.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:05 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Dang, I feel really sorry for you. If you like REAL Asians (and not those fake Vietnamese kind), you'll have to get a new girlfriend.

I hope she doesn't take the break-up too hard.
I will certainly miss the kari ga she cooks... but then, I guess that's not real Asian food anyways

Old 07-15-2011, 02:52 AM

161 posts, read 182,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Wow, I feel like I lost a few brain cells by logging in and reading this drivel on my own thread. We should credit pollster with one thing though: he brought together LA and Bay Area posters in a way that would haven't been otherwise possible without the intervention of someone who is arguing something that is so nearly set in stone that it's amazing that it's still being argued.
thats cuz it takes all of cali combined to beat one city. how pathetic!

Quote:
Seriously, even if you take the less urban counties, such as Fresno (9.6% Asian) or San Joaquin Counties (14.4% Asian) (latter is becoming Bay Area exurb, but still isn't officially through the census), they STILL have a higher percentage of Asians than New York State and New Jersey, both separately and combined. San Joaquin County ALONE has a higher percentage of Asians than New York City as a whole. We aren't talking about places that are extremely urban either. If you don't believe me, knock yourself out.

American FactFinder

Here's what most of Fresno and San Joaquin Counties look like
oooh, farms with asians. how is that anything special? fresno and san joaquin county asians combined are less than 200,000 over a large area. flushing and fresh meadows alone have 200,000 asian people. and its not like there arent any asians in upstate, look up ithaca, ny.

Quote:
New York and New Jersey are getting there with an Asian population, along with other places in the country. I'm GLAD that it isn't just a West Coast thing anymore. Why does it have to be a zero sum gain? Can't we just appreciate the differences and move on from there?
because there are too many cali boosters in this forum, and not enough vocal ny/nj/east coast/chicago boosters in here. i bet the vast majority of ppl who voted in this poll were from cali. really, it doesnt matter at the end of the day, 2.1 million asians call this magical region home, unlike the 119 people who voted for cali.

Quote:
I love how, as a Filipino American, I am not an Asian but Hispanic (which is fine but grossly inaccurate), but somehow my presence in this country counts way less than someone else because my ancestral country is "less powerful" But whatever, my life will go on.
im sorry u feel that way, but it is what it is. its just the internet dude. no reason to get bent out of shape. whenever u visit nyc, you'll fall in love as well and want to live here like the millions whove come here from all across the globe.

i like cali. i just hate the boosterism.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:30 AM

179 posts, read 402,335 times
This thread is too hilarious.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:47 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Pollster is the new Durf...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City