Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What area looks/feels more Asian?
New York 19 11.52%
California 146 88.48%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:18 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Speaking on raw numbers, I'm with you. Speaking on how "Asian" a city is or feels overall, not so much. Just speaking on SF vs. NYC, in the past decade we've had two Chinese Chiefs of Police, multiple Assemblymen and Reps as well as city council members that are Asian, the World Journal Chinese-language newspaper is out here, the largest importer of Chinese movies is (or at least was - I can't recall its name) located in SSF, one of the largest anime/manga companies is located in SF (Viz Video)...I'll stop there but the list goes on and on.
good post...but don't forget that the mayors of San Francisco and Oakland are both Chinese.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Ehh, I don't think that's a good way to gauge how _____ a place is. After all, New York City has 500,000 more Hispanic people IN RAW numbers than Los Angeles, but I don't think very many people on CD is ever really going to claim that NYC is suddenly way more Hispanic than Los Angeles (in terms of the different numbers of groups represented, NYC's has waaaayyy more Latin American countries represented proportionally, but is that enough to make it seem more Latin? That's for another thread)
Oh I absolutely agree. I just agreed with that poster that NYC edged the other cities out ONLY in terms of raw numbers b/c statistically in the combined "Asian" category it does have more Asians than any other single city.

But like I said in that post, as far as feel goes its not even close. CA cities and the state as a whole make the presence of Asians felt much more than any other US state, save Hawaii. And I fully agree that raw totals are not at all a good way to gauge how well-represented a particular ethnic/racial group is, particularly when the group in question is dwarfed in raw numbers by all other ethnic/racial groups.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:24 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
good post...but don't forget that the mayors of San Francisco and Oakland are both Chinese.
Lol that was the first thing I had meant to list and managed to leave it out completely in my effort to avoid listing excessive examples. Thank you.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,678 times
I cannot think of any other place with more Asians then where I live. Nobody in the local farmers market speaks English, we are the only non-Asian family in about 20 blocks and my son is the only non-Asian in his classroom (the school has over 500 kids and less then 30 are non-Asian). The church has a special time for services in English (yes, only once a week the service is in English). The really sad part is that most Asians around here don't speak English (not necessarily because they don't know English, but mostly because they choose not to) and refuse to accept any non-Asian into their groups - so think about how much fun my son is having in school or even at the neighborhood park. Hands down Silicon Valley in California, second only to Asia itself. So if you are Asian and planning to move to Silicon Valley, you will be in heaven.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:07 AM

13 posts, read 32,170 times
California!!

Old 06-11-2011, 01:50 AM

604 posts, read 1,520,590 times
California hands down. No comparison between the state of New York and California.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:51 AM

604 posts, read 1,520,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
the west coast is pretty segregated dude, not sure where you got the idea it isn't
Compared to the east coast it is not. Interracial marriages are much more common out west. Furthermore California universities are dominated by Asians. The east coast is more old school.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:52 AM

125 posts, read 333,535 times
Easily, California.
There's a lot of Asians in NYC, especially Queens (and of course, Chinatown), but on a STATE level, there's not really much of an Asian presence in New York STAE. New Jersey/NYC on the other hand can make a better argument, but still, California takes the cake.

Hawaii beats them all out.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:41 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
Cali

Old 06-11-2011, 07:20 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking2BeFree View Post
Easily, California.
There's a lot of Asians in NYC, especially Queens (and of course, Chinatown), but on a STATE level, there's not really much of an Asian presence in New York STAE. New Jersey/NYC on the other hand can make a better argument, but still, California takes the cake.

Hawaii beats them all out.
Agreed, no one can touch Hawaii in this argument.

NYC/Jersey would have been a better comparison, but didn't really think about it when I made it. In fact, I sorta went off some statements 1 or 2 posters made in the "Who has the better Koreatown" thread.

After living in both California (both SoCal and NorCal) and the NYC area, I thought it would be interesting to see what other posters thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City