Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What area looks/feels more Asian?
New York 19 11.52%
California 146 88.48%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:15 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

The Center of Oakland is one of the most racially and ethnically diverse places on the face of the Earth. And its also quite a comfortable place to live as well. WHO KNEW?

Laurel
Average Household Income: $64,857
Pop Density: 11,184 per sq mile

The neighborhood added 2 gorgeous arches at opposite ends of its retail strip a few years back.

World Grounds is a neighborhood institution

So is Farmer Joe's

http://blog.redfin.com/sfbay/files/2008/06/arizona.jpg

http://blog.redfin.com/sfbay/files/2008/06/arizona.jpg

http://www.carlabuffington.com/image...avista/ext.jpg

http://www.carlabuffington.com/image...consin/ext.jpg

Here are some homes currently for sale in the Laurel Neighborhood:

2bd/1.5bth for $439,000

2bd/2bth for $339,000

Old 05-23-2011, 03:17 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
This is one category where Oakland's maturity when it comes to diversity is very difficult to beat.

Upper Dimond
Average Household Income: $72,309
Pop. Density: 10,355 per sq mile

Harrington
Average Household Income: $71,553
Pop. Density: 20,699 per sq mile

Cleveland Heights
Average Household Income $67,208
Pop. Density: 13,063 per sq mile

Laurel
Average Household Income: $64,857
Pop Density: 11,184 per sq mile

Bella Vista
Average Household Income: $63,336
Pop Density: 16,465 per sq mile

Adams Point
Average Household Income: $57,621
Pop. Density: 26,515 per sq mile

Allendale
Average Household Income: $61,223
Pop. Density: 17,576 per sq mile

Sausal Creek
Average Household Income: $54,756
Pop Density: 15,189 per sq mile

Dimond
Average Household Income: $51,729
Pop Density: 12,249 oer sq mile

Merritt
Average Household Income: $51,318
Pop Density: 19,061 per sq mile

Ivy Hill
Average Household Income: $50,099
Pop Density: 23,132 per sq mile

Old 05-23-2011, 04:53 PM

93,335 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think there may be more Asians in New Jersey than there are in upstate New York.
Probably and it could be attributed to spillover from NYC

Old 05-23-2011, 05:02 PM

93,335 posts, read 123,972,828 times
18Montclair, he's speaking for himself. Outside of NYC in NY State, it seems like Asian an4 Hispanic communities are growing and the Black communities are growing a bit, with a diversity from various places as well. Some cities are even getting Eastern European immigrants/refugees as well.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:19 PM

662 posts, read 1,282,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
A little late to the thread, but it goes like this:

On a city level, NYC by an edge.

On a state level, California by miles.

That is all.
Even on a city level, I think san fran and LA are more "asia"n than NYC, due to the closeness to the pacific ocean. NYC feels more european, but they do have a high chinese population. The problem is that unlike LA, the proportion of other asian communities like japanese, thai and vietnamese are lacking. LA has the highest population of many of these asian ethnicities outside of their own country. In NYC, it feel like everything asian is, just sort , chinese.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
new york has asians?

Old 05-23-2011, 07:07 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
A little late to the thread, but it goes like this:

On a city level, NYC by an edge.

On a state level, California by miles.

That is all.
Speaking on raw numbers, I'm with you. Speaking on how "Asian" a city is or feels overall, not so much. Just speaking on SF vs. NYC, in the past decade we've had two Chinese Chiefs of Police, multiple Assemblymen and Reps as well as city council members that are Asian, the World Journal Chinese-language newspaper is out here, the largest importer of Chinese movies is (or at least was - I can't recall its name) located in SSF, one of the largest anime/manga companies is located in SF (Viz Video)...I'll stop there but the list goes on and on.

Asians and the presence of various Asian cultures are more widespread and more prevalent out here. Asians just have made a bigger impact in CA. So I agree with your assessment for the most part, but a person living in or visiting NYC doesn't feel the influence of Asians anywhere near as much there as people do in California. This is even evidenced by how little people from NYC that post on here pull for Asians and how quickly they dismiss any need for their presence - a view that is so backward it would be expected by hillbillies in Appalachia but not by people who proclaim themselves to be so far ahead of the curve and "sophisticated" (lol).

Old 05-23-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Here's an interesting metric since I have had to deal with the DMV a lot lately. I had a fun time last week going to my local DMV, having to fill out forms in SPANISH and translating them to a worker who was way more proficient in TAGALOG than in ENGLISH:

For California:
Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information

For New Jersey:
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licen.../Chapter_2.pdf

Actually pretty surprised that no South Asian language is present in New Jersey.

For New York State:
DMV Written Tests or Driver

Again, surprised that there isn't a South Asian language present, but JAPANESE is present in both NJ's and NY's driver license written tests, despite having a MUCH smaller Japanese speaking population than a South Asian one?
Wow, I'm actually surprised that anyone is saying they feel better there as a "brown person" lol. Doesn't sound like NJ is making a whole lot of special effort to make brown people feel more accepted there than here. Sounds more to me like we've been being fed some BS by this thread's main NJ booster. Guess that's why arguing without any facts, figures or real knowledge tends to be pretty easy to shut down lol.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
If you happen to like NY more than any CA cities, and because of that you're satisfied with the number of Asians there or their cultural impact on the place, then fine: admit it.

But to claim that NYC absolutely has more, then be shot down, continue to insist that you're still right even though you have no evidence to back it up at all, and respond with things like "well, 20% Asian is enough... 50% is too much..." that's just stupid.

Just say you don't like it and move on.
Couldn't have said it better myself! Wish I could rep ya again but its still too soon.

That's all that anyone needs to do when these discussions don't go their way. Spinning things to work in their favor and making up false truths really just makes the person who does that look foolish. If you choose one over the other b/c that's what you like then leave it at that b/c there's nothing wrong with that. I don't get what's so difficult for some people about doing that, or simply admitting when they're wrong and learning a thing or two.

Last edited by jman650; 05-23-2011 at 07:43 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
California has alot of Asian presence throughout much of the state not just the big urban areas on the coast. ...

In the Central Valley you have alot of Hmongs--refugees from the post-Vietnam War period from the mountainous regions in between Vietnam and Laos. In the small towns like Oroville where much of my relatives live in the Sacremento Valley, there are Hmong communities scattered through out the area. Including Fresno, where I believe most of the Asian population is actually Hmong. In the northern Sacramento Valley towns north of the capital, there's a lot of Indian Sikhs(mostly from Punjab) who now run a lot of the local trucking and farming industries in the area. Yuba City has one of the larger concentrations of Sikhs in the country and hosts an annual festival for Sikhs that attracts both national and internationl Sikh visitors.

Long Beach has one of the largest populations of Cambodians outside Cambodia itself. Fremont has the highest number of Afghans in the US. There's a sizable Thaitown neighborhood in East Hollywood in Los Angeles.

There's a large Fillipino population spread throughout the state as well. I grew up Fillipino classmates in school that I never realized were Fillipino for years---because of their Spanish surnames I always assumed they were Hispanic. You've also got historic Japantowns all over the state, although few survived the World War II internment period--but there's a lot of people of Japanese descent in California, although at this point most are very assimilated into the culture of California. You've also got communities of Samoans, Tongans, Indonesians, Laotians(not Hmong), in various suburbs of the major cities as well.

New York City will always have a diverse mix of immigrants from all over the world--and the Asian population is growing with a lot of Chinese and Indian immigrants--however the Asian population in California is more diverse and more represented throughout the entire state.
Very good post. And just to add, the only 3 Japantowns that still exist in the entire US (at least the last time I checked) are all in CA: SF, SJ and LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.