Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What area looks/feels more Asian?
New York 19 11.52%
California 146 88.48%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:35 PM

929 posts, read 1,905,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think that Seattle is getting there. I mean, its weird to think that if American immigration laws were as lenient as Canadian immigration laws regarding Asians, Seattle would probably be a LOT more like Vancouver than it is now (keep in mind that Canada is also part of the British Commonwealth, and the majority of Chinese there are from HK and other parts of the British Commonwealth, making immigration to Canada that much easier). IMO, Seattle's diversity is pretty underrated by pure stats alone. I really enjoyed exploring Rainier Valley (really great Filipino, Mexican, and Ethiopian options all around). And since the East Side of Lake Washington has a HUGE tech industry, I can see the area having more and more Asian options in the future.
More importantly, Seattle is the hometown of Samoan baller Peyton Siva! On the East Coast (even in areas with large Asian populations) you're less likely to see Asian Americans even representing high school basketball or football teams. This isn't the case in California or Washington State.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:50 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,479,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i'm not saying one i better than the other
In your own words, "pffft!" What you said was EXACTLY that one was better than the other:

Quote:
south asian comparison is weak

central NJ alone > Cali

lancaster doesn't cut it - lol
And wth does Lancaster have to do with anything?? LOL, is that your one and only Socal example of what you're using to add to Union Square and form your opinion? LMFAO man you're really just going to believe what you wanna believe, aren't you? Truth is apparently irrelevant. Suit yourself.

Quote:
but imo cali = nj in terms of acceptance to other races
Now we're equals? Wtf lol?? Will you make up your mind already. I though we were Jersey's subordinate lackeys; I didn't realize we were now part of the same rotation. Interesting.

Quote:
i've seen as much racism in cali than i've seen on the east coast
So b/c you've "seen racism" out here in the 45 closed-minded, pre-conceived minutes you've collectively been in CA, NY is more Asian? I'm not sure what you're really getting at here or why you said that, but regardless of how much racism you've seen on either side that's not a determining factor. Unless you were just trying in vain to down CA again, which at least I could make sense of. Otherwise I'm just confused lol.

Quote:
i never felt that great as a brown person in cali
That's on you, bruh. This state is more "brown" than anything else, whether it be Latino, Filipino, Indian, Polynesian....you name it. It may not fit for you, but it does fit for 37,000,000+ of us, so that's all good.

Quote:
i'm saying this only because cali is in denial. they call boston " back east" - gimme a break

In denial about what? I mean it might be true, but its not really clear what you're talking about here. There are plenty of things people in CA are in denial about, just like there are plenty of things the NE is in denial about - like how you seem to wanna think NJ is more Asian than California LMFAO!! So you'll have to be a little more specific if you want anyone to know what you're talking about here.

Oh and btw, the term "back east" is what transplants that move out here call the Eastern states, don't try and pin that one on us. That term is more of an example of ego strokage for you guys, not denial (? ) on our part. It refers to the East being where the US began and "out west" is what those same people say when talking about out here. To me the NE states are simply "out there" and nothing more.

LOL nice try! Where do you get this crap from? You come through with an impressive amount of misinformation lol.

Quote:
just as much aggro hatred from the west
Awww, poor wittle fella...are we being too mean to you guys?

You'd have to be a serious headcase to fault us for responding to all the jabs/insults/disrespect that's constantly sent our way from your side - even to the point where we literally predict that at least one of you will enter any of our threads and send it spiraling down the toilet. But if you think for one second that the "aggro hatred" a handful of us send your way in response can even BEGIN to measure up to your guys' crap you've got some serious, powerful blinders on.

Lol just the fact that you'd even suggest that is hilarious!

Quote:
laid back snooki'es ass
Man you're really on a roll lol!

"Laid back" is YOUR GUYS' label for us out here, not ours. Y'all are the simple ones who can't seem to realize that California is more than just a beach next to Hollywood and that we're not 85% surfers. That's the fault of you clowns, so whenever I see this, "I thought you guys were supposed to be laid back in the sun wtf is going on??" crap I just shake my head and laugh at you simpletons lol. That's how you all choose to label us, not us.

"Enlightened" Angelina's snatch!

Quote:
i like cali, i've visited l.a. a lot. but calling cali accepting of races LOL

gimme NJ ANYDAY!!!!!!
You can keep it. NJ seems to be a lot more accepting of delusions like yours and suits you better. The NE is a place where bullsh*tting, exaggerating, and lying at all costs just to sound like you're making a point are acceptable forms of communication. You wouldn't fit in too well out here where truth, facts, and accuracy are valued.

Side note: If you honestly think that CA isn't at all accepting of Asians and Jersey somehow is you're so seriously misinformed that there's not really any point in even trying to break things down to you. Lol you = mega-fail

Quote:
the only reason the poll is high is because utah and idaho voted
Good point. Because those Utah and Idaho posters are so notorious for always boosting California. Probably Wyoming too.

Wow. Desperation is a stinky cologne. SMH.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
America is still a majority white nation. The percentage of Asians overall is only around 5%. Therefore, a city with 10 to 20 % Asians has pretty significant Asian diversity. 30 to 50 % is very distorted. There should be far more whites, blacks and latinos in such a city. It's legitimate to wonder why there aren't.
That's going off the NON-DIVERSE model of the national averages that have non-Hispanic white people making up 65-70% of the total population. Do YOU find 70%-white cities to be very diverse? I don't.

50% accounting for the total population of any city detracts from its diversity, but a 25% each or a 30-30-30% ratio of most groups would make a place diverse. Oakland is 26% white, 27% black, 25% Hispanic and 17% Asian. THAT is what you call diverse! Well its not what YOU would call diverse since you're applying the national averages to what you think is how things should be determined. But any non-biased, rational-thinking, reasonable person will have to admit that what Oakland has is true racial diversity.

But that wasn't the point. I get where you were trying to go with what you were saying, but your rationale is flawed. If we are to go by the national model's percentages to determine what is and what isn't diverse, rather than treating each group equally and applying the same standards across the board, we are not dealing with diversity. But that is only in regards to how well-represented each separate group is.

Calling 10-20% "pretty significant Asian diversity" since CONVENIENTLY that is what some of your cities you're using for comparison have , while referring to 30-50% as "distorted" and saying that "we don't need cities that are that heavily Asian" is completely ignorant. We don't NEED cities to have the demographic makeup of any of the Eastern cities either, like 85-90% white and black Philly and Baltimore, but I don't see you complaining about those. Nor do I see you mentioning the "distorted" figures for cities like Newark or Camden which are 42% and 49% black respectively. How about Union City, NJ being 80% Hispanic? Do we NEED any of these cities in our "Western nation" as you put it? They don't gel too well with the national averages so I guess there are a good amount of NJ/NYC-area cities that can be omitted too.

The only thing that is distorted here is your perspective. You think that since Asians aren't as well-represented throughout the heartland of America that your percentages are more than enough. Never mind the completely distorted figures for people of Caribbean ethnic groups all throughout NYC metro; those are just fine right? Its Asians that should be less represented, according to you.

Sorry but this is completely bogus and slanted to favor the way things are on the side you're boosting. No one complains about the lack of Dominicans in Butte, Montana either, but that doesn't mean that their representation there is sufficient when it comes to diversity. Try playing fair for a change and quit trying so hard to slant the criteria so that it favors your side at all costs.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
That's funny, because CA is one of the most "brown" states in the entire country.

Also, 99% of people in CA who say "back east" are originally FROM the east coast, which is why they say that.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
I really don't get what john_starks is talking about.
Lol no one does. I don't even think he does at this point.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
In the Bay Area you have Asians lving in predominantly Black housing projects ?
In some cases. I'm not exactly sure the current demographics, but I had one friend who is Chinese that grew up in the North Beach projects back in the day, another that is Vietnamese that lived in Potrero for a while, another dude that is Filipino who grew up in West Point (HP) before moving to Daly City, and I knew of about 6 Vietnamese families that stayed in Doublerock and at least 2 Cambodian families that lived in Sunnydale. Oh yeah and my other homeboy who lived in Army St til he was about 10 - he's Chinese/Filipino.

Anyway (sorry I'm rambling), yeah there are Asians living in the serious 'jects and not just the Chinatown ones.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Yeah... There's TONS of Samoans in Double Rock
Samoans aren't Asian, they're Poly (Pacific Islander). But you are otherwise very correct; tons throughout Doublerock, Sunnydale and Geneva Towers before. There's also some scattered throughout the Hill, but more in 2 Rock/SD.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Lancaster? What? Who has ever said that Lancaster is known for South Asians? This is the first time I've heard of that...try places like Fremont, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Cupertino, or San Jose (next to percentages are the raw numbers).

American FactFinder
Cupertino: Asian Indian: 22.6% of the population (13,179)
Fremont (in Alameda County): Asian Indian: 18.1% of the population (38,711)
Sunnyvale: Asian Indian: 15.5% of the population (21,737)
Santa Clara: Asian Indian: 13.6% of the population (15,890)
Santa Clara County: 5.8% Asian Indian (100,757)
San Jose: Asian Indian: 4.6% of the population (43,827)

Unfortunately, New Jersey hasn't released their detailed 2010 census results (at least on the factfinder website), so its very speculatory what the area could have. Here's what the estimates were in 2009:

Edison CDP, New Jersey - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2005-2009
Iselin: 33.3% Asian Indian (5,937)
Edison: 23.9% Asian Indian (23,663)
Plainsboro: 23.7% Asian Indian (4,987)
Piscataway: 14.7% Asian Indian (7,649)
Woodbridge: 13.7% Asian Indian (13,441)
Middlesex County: 10.8% Asian Indian (84,283)

However, there isn't an urban equivalent to a place like Jackson Heights here. Maybe Artesia, but barely?

By percentage, Indians make up a somewhat larger percentage, but make up a MUCH smaller number of people than in the Southern part of the Bay Area. But as Silicon Valley attracts more and more H1b workers, it will be interesting to see how things change in the next 10 years.

Just as a note: the largest Sikh Gurdwara in North America just opened 2 months ago in San Jose.
Sikh Gurdwara Sahib - San Jose, CA (Official Website)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Asian Indians have become the fastest growing ethnic group in the East Bay:

I expect the East Bay to actually overtake Santa Clara in the next census.

As far as the whole state of CA:
Careful. All these facts and data are likely to make Starks and the NE denial crew have an allergic reaction again where they just go "pffft" and dismiss it all b/c their minds have already been made up.

Lol but WE'RE the ones in denial, right?

Old 05-23-2011, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
More importantly, Seattle is the hometown of Samoan baller Peyton Siva! On the East Coast (even in areas with large Asian populations) you're less likely to see Asian Americans even representing high school basketball or football teams. This isn't the case in California or Washington State.
On the East Coast you're not likely to see Samoans (or any Polynesians), period. Let alone what you're describing.

You are likely to see Asians attacked though just for being Asian, like they were in Philly high schools. Looks to me like the so-called "acceptance" being proclaimed here doesn't apply to East and Southeast Asians the way it was made to sound. I wonder if its nothing more than a myth?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:49 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,011,433 times
A little late to the thread, but it goes like this:

On a city level, NYC by an edge.

On a state level, California by miles.

That is all.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:18 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,388,424 times
Here's an interesting metric since I have had to deal with the DMV a lot lately. I had a fun time last week going to my local DMV, having to fill out forms in SPANISH and translating them to a worker who was way more proficient in TAGALOG than in ENGLISH:

For California:
Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information

Quote:
What other languages is the written or audio test available in?

Besides English, the basic Class C written driver license exam is also available in the following languages:
Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Cambodian, Chinese, Croatian, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Persian/Farsi, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Samoan, Spanish, Tagalog/Filipino, Thai, Tongan, Turkish, and Vietnamese.
For New Jersey:
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licen.../Chapter_2.pdf

Quote:
The MVC offers the knowledge test in English and these foreign languages:
Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian and
Spanish. If the applicant cannot read in any language, an oral test that is conducted in English or Spanish may be arranged.
Actually pretty surprised that no South Asian language is present in New Jersey.

For New York State:
DMV Written Tests or Driver

Quote:
The DMV prints the NYS Driver's Manual in English and Spanish only. Both editions are available at the DMV web site.

Effective October 4, 2007, the written tests for a Class D, Class DJ, or Class E driver license are available in the following languages only:

Albanian
Arabic
Bosnian
Chinese
English
French
Greek
Italian
Japanese
Korean

Polish
Russian
Spanish
Again, surprised that there isn't a South Asian language present, but JAPANESE is present in both NJ's and NY's driver license written tests, despite having a MUCH smaller Japanese speaking population than a South Asian one?

Keep in mind, this metric just shows what one state government institution (DMV) thinks is important enough to translate their written tests to prospective drivers in their states. It could also reflect how English is becoming a 4th or 5th language in California

Coming down on a city level, thought it would be interesting to see what languages the city or an essential service of the city thought would be most useful to translate to:

New York City (Language Gateway)
English, Spanish, Chinese, and Russian

City of San Francisco (Superior Court of California, County of San Francisco : Manual in Other Languages)
English, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, and Vietnamese (surprised no Tagalog)

City of Los Angeles Los Angeles (City of Los Angeles, Office of the City Clerk - Election Page)
English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Tagalog

Of course, all 3 cities (and most other cities in the country) have 311 services with interpreters for hundreds of languages, but this reflects the major ones spoken.

Of course, the topic of this thread is on how "Asian" a place is, and its good to note that as the East Coast posters have noted, that Asians have made enough of an impact on the landscape to AT LEAST have some Asian languages represented on an official government level (by printing out pamphlets, DMV services, etc), lending to my belief that at least the East Coast is getting there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City