Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami, New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, or Philadelphia?
New York City 97 36.33%
Los Angeles 67 25.09%
Chicago 84 31.46%
Miami 55 20.60%
Philadelphia 51 19.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:21 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,097 times

Advertisements

No, the topic was troll bait. Who are you trying to fool. Keep on trollin', ignorance is bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
Not in the least. I started this thread in hopes that an intelligent discussion would begin. There had been no mention of San Diego in any of my posts up until that moment. So take you arrogance somewhere else. I am beginning to realize including Philadelphia in any thread spells that threads doom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 09:24 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
No, the topic was troll bait. Who are you trying to fool. Keep on trollin', ignorance is bliss.
I have not been trolling in the least. I've posted links that could have initiated intelligent discussion and were certainly reputable. You are the ignorant one.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:27 PM

right. reputable links. lol. good night, db. Way to rep your city with all that righteous, indignant ignorance.

Quote:
I have not been trolling in the least. I've posted links that could have initiated intelligent discussion and were certainly reputable. You are the ignorant one.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:28 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah5 View Post

do you now how to read a map?

here's a big colored one for you to enjoy.

the new york city metro:
Well apparently you never got the memo that Mercer County was unrightfully taken from the Philadelphia area. More people in Mercer County commute to Philly Metro than New York Metro and Mercer County already meets the CSA threshold. So to say that Mercer County is more associated with New York than Philadelphia is just wrong. Mercer County is part of the Philly Media Market and the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission.

Here are some links.

DVRPC > Our Region

http://www.engagedc.com/wp-content/u...3057522448.jpg

Old 08-19-2011, 09:32 PM

Since these opinions (everybody has one) from SoCal don't care about reality, arguing with them is useless. Better to laugh at the naked emperor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Well apparently you never got the memo that Mercer County was unrightfully taken from the Philadelphia area. More people in Mercer County commute to Philly Metro than New York Metro and Mercer County already meets the CSA threshold. So to say that Mercer County is more associated with New York than Philadelphia is just wrong. Mercer County is part of the Philly Media Market and the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission.

Here are some links.

DVRPC > Our Region

http://www.engagedc.com/wp-content/u...3057522448.jpg

Old 08-19-2011, 09:37 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Why is everyone hating on Philly tonight? Never feed the trolls they come back for more food.

Back at the topic at hand. . . Livability.
It all depends on the person and what they need to enjoy that city. For me, public transportation is the first thing I always look for (for outings, parties). I don't drive so I need some sort of transportation that's rapid, etc. What also plays into this factor, is the type of person. If you sit at home all the time and don't attempt to try new things, you'd probably hate anywhere you live. So livability varies & there's no set 'score" for that. In my opinion.

Lastly, while NYC doesn't *need* Princeton and Yale, both universities are located within the NYC Metro, statistically. HOWEVER, I also consider Philly to be apart of that metro too. Sooner or later (if not already ) it will be and you guys that hate Philly will have to deal with it.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:39 PM

224 posts, read 347,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You would have to be from the Philly/NJ/NYC region to understand.Not even the most ardent NYC resident would try to claim Princeton as part of NYC. Imo the whole Central Jersey area is an independent battle zone with a clear autonomy from both NYC and Philly.

NYC gets the benefits of areas it really has no business being rewarded with. Hunterdon ,Mercer,Warren, even Somerset Counties, the Poconos, Upstate CT. Very wealthy counties that just dont belong in metro NYC.
answer: nyc very is very influential (very rich), philadelphia is not (it's rather poor)...which is why places physically closer to philadelphia aren't closer to philadelphia at all statistically, statistically speaking. part of the why these counties are very wealthy is obviously due to the influence of new york city. ask yourself, why are there more commuters to new york city from mercer or wherever when philadelphia is (allegedly) closer? why?

nyc is rewarded with? lol. nyc is "rewarded" with these counties because they meet commuting thresholds which make them part of the said metropolitan area. it's not a lottery. the folks who are employed to do this aren't blindfolded and asked to draw borders out of thin air as a form of amusement. you really need to review census data and develop a better grasp of how metropolitan areas are determined and leave it be.

i know more of the region than you it seems. for one, princeton university is part of the new york metro. hunterdon is part of then new york metro. mercer is part of the new york metro. the poconos are not part of the new york metro. there is no such thing as "upstate connecticut" as far as counties go. only three connecticut counties are part of the new york metro; fairfield, litcheld and new haven county (where yale is ). strangely (or not), the wealth level of connecticut drops dramatically when you subtract those three nyc influenced counties. hmmmm.... coincidence or not?....nah just those silly bureaucrats randomly "rewarding" counties to metros just for fun!! lol.

Last edited by balmain; 08-19-2011 at 10:15 PM..

Old 08-19-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Since these opinions (everybody has one) from SoCal don't care about reality, arguing with them is useless. Better to laugh at the naked emperor.
Maybe take a geography lesson and learn that the Bay Area is in Northern California. You would also do well to expand your vocabulary and say something that is actually intelligent sounding. You give Philadelphians a bad reputation by calling everyone a loser.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:42 PM

Nope, I save it for you.

Is this not what your profile says:
"Join Date: Jun 2010

effing 'tard. happy trolling.

Quote:
Maybe take a geography lesson and learn that the Bay Area is in Northern California. You would also do well to expand your vocabulary and say something that is actually intelligent sounding. You give Philadelphians a bad reputation by calling everyone a loser.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Why is everyone hating on Philly tonight? Never feed the trolls they come back for more food.

Back at the topic at hand. . . Livability.
It all depends on the person and what they need to enjoy that city. For me, public transportation is the first thing I always look for (for outings, parties). I don't drive so I need some sort of transportation that's rapid, etc. What also plays into this factor, is the type of person. If you sit at home all the time and don't attempt to try new things, you'd probably hate anywhere you live. So livability varies & there's no set 'score" for that. In my opinion.

Lastly, while NYC doesn't *need* Princeton and Yale, both universities are located within the NYC Metro, statistically. HOWEVER, I also consider Philly to be apart of that metro too. Sooner or later (if not already ) it will be and you guys that hate Philly will have to deal with it.
I would say NYC and Chicago have the best transportation systems. Los Angeles is still reliant on the car though it is developing its own subway system. I'm not sure about transport in Miami and Philadelphia.

A large part of livability also has to do with how safe the city is. NYC has consistently been ranked one of the safest cities in the country, perhaps followed by Chicago again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City