Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami, New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, or Philadelphia?
New York City 97 36.33%
Los Angeles 67 25.09%
Chicago 84 31.46%
Miami 55 20.60%
Philadelphia 51 19.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 06:28 AM

38 posts, read 141,790 times

Advertisements

Take Filthadelphia out of this discussion.
Keep all the other cities and replace it with the San Francisco bay area or Houston or Dallas/Fort Worth. Philadelphia is worthless and disgusting and should be abolished. Who would it affect? Nobody because Philadelphia doesn't showcase the diversity and culture of the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 06:37 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,661 times
How's the ole' 'armit of the USA' treating you? You've got that Jersey 'tude! Jerzeee... stinks like a landfill wherever you go. I know, I used to live there. Every Jersey resident secretly aspires to move to Philly or NYC, so I understand your misdirected scorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsupak View Post
Take Filthadelphia out of this discussion.
Keep all the other cities and replace it with the San Francisco bay area or Houston or Dallas/Fort Worth. Philadelphia is worthless and disgusting and should be abolished. Who would it affect? Nobody because Philadelphia doesn't showcase the diversity and culture of the U.S.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:56 AM

38 posts, read 141,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
How's the ole' 'armit of the USA' treating you? You've got that Jersey 'tude! Jerzeee... stinks like a landfill wherever you go. I know, I used to live there. Every Jersey resident secretly aspires to move to Philly or NYC, so I understand your misdirected scorn.

You are not making any sense and you are extremly ignorant.
It is hard to even try and explain simple logic to someone like you who is obviously not educated on the topic.
You're in denial that Philadelphia has serious issues and so does the entire state of Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is 82% white and I find that disheartening to someone like me who is Asian.
New Jersey is one of the most and if the not the most diverse state and the quality of life is equal for all and New Jersey is beautiful. Everyone from PA comes to visit our beautiful beaches and our scenic mountains. Also, we have much nicer cities than PA. And the Pennsylvania Governor is horrible and not intelligent.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:16 AM

Jersey has the worst cities. Camden is Jersey's abomination, not PA's. Trenton & Newark are underdeveloped and corrupt. I guess you're thinking Jersey City and Hoboken, which are nice enough and definitely diverse, thanks to NYC.... but they are relatively small and cannot be compared with Philly or any other real city. I know exactly how the Jersey Kool-Aid tastes. You're the first person I've heard imply that Chris Christie is better than Tom Corbett. As far as I'm concerned, they're both terrible but Christie is distinctly more disgusting and 'Jersey', what a pig.

Scenic Mountains... now I know you can ski in North Jersey in winter but honestly, you cannot call them mountains. Besides, what hills there are in Jersey are merely a continuation of the Poconos, which are primarily in PA. Jersey's 'mountains are the 'foothills', so to speak.

I always stick up for the Jersey Shore, it's the best feature of the state.

I won't even touch your claim "quality of life is equal for all", there are few places where that is less true than new Jersey. Money matters in Jersey as much as it does in NYC.

2010 Census has Pennsylvania at 79.5% white
2010 Census has NJ at 68.96% white

So what, big deal. USA is 72.4% white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsupak View Post
You are not making any sense and you are extremly ignorant.
It is hard to even try and explain simple logic to someone like you who is obviously not educated on the topic.
You're in denial that Philadelphia has serious issues and so does the entire state of Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is 82% white and I find that disheartening to someone like me who is Asian.
New Jersey is one of the most and if the not the most diverse state and the quality of life is equal for all and New Jersey is beautiful. Everyone from PA comes to visit our beautiful beaches and our scenic mountains. Also, we have much nicer cities than PA. And the Pennsylvania Governor is horrible and not intelligent.

Last edited by Dub King; 08-20-2011 at 07:25 AM..

Old 08-20-2011, 07:57 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
On your topics would rank this way

Culture: 1 NYC, 2 Chicago/LA, 4 Philly, 5 Miami
Education: 1 Philly, 2 NYC, 3 LA/Chicago, 5 Miami
Lifestyle: to me very subjective 1 NYC, 2 Chicago/Philly, 4 LA, 5 Miami

On environmental friendliness not sure, all have improved recently but not sur how they would rank honestly
Philly should be DEAD LAST in lifestyle. LA and Miami with out a doubt has a better lifestyle than Philly. No disrespect to Philly it's a great city.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:59 AM

Miami? It's only a better lifestyle for a certain type of person. Reality is more complicated. A good friend of mine moved to Miami Beach a decade ago, spent years trying to convince me to move. I visited a number of times and seriously considered it. He started bashing Philly the same way so many people here do, yet in the grand scheme of things I decided Philly's lifestyle - best beer city, fine dining, four seasons, proximity to NYC and DC - beat out Miami's beautiful people, warm (and admit it, hot) weather, great sushi and the party culture (like the music conference). Seems to me you prize sun and warm weather over compact, traditional urban landscapes. It's just a choice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Philly should be DEAD LAST in lifestyle. LA and Miami with out a doubt has a better lifestyle than Philly. No disrespect to Philly it's a great city.

Last edited by Dub King; 08-20-2011 at 08:17 AM..

Old 08-20-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
I would say NYC and Chicago have the best transportation systems. Los Angeles is still reliant on the car though it is developing its own subway system. I'm not sure about transport in Miami and Philadelphia.

A large part of livability also has to do with how safe the city is. NYC has consistently been ranked one of the safest cities in the country, perhaps followed by Chicago again.
Wrong! Chicago is one of the most dangerous cities in the nation.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:34 AM

Dude has no clue, and if offered one will spit it back out.

Philly has great public spaces.

http://www.pps.org/articles/uscanadasquares/

"The space is among the best-used public spaces in the United States. Furthermore there is a sense of community here: an interaction between the habitues of the park so that you actually feel this is the City of Brotherly Love after all. People recognize each other and life here has a comfort and allure that has almost vanished everywhere else in the city and the country. The community’s general affluence does help; but there is much more at work here." - PPS.org

It's all right here...

Philly Skyline with Kimmel Center (http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagicdigital/6035435223/ - broken link) by imagic digital (http://www.flickr.com/people/imagicdigital/ - broken link), on Flickr

Philly Skyline (http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagicdigital/6033896340/ - broken link) by imagic digital (http://www.flickr.com/people/imagicdigital/ - broken link), on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Wrong! Chicago is one of the most dangerous cities in the nation.

Last edited by Dub King; 08-20-2011 at 08:43 AM..

Old 08-20-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Dude has no clue, and if offered one will spit it back out.
I was born and raised in Chicago. The South side and the West side are nothing but large killing fields.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,436 times
what a joke man wheres the competition NYC is the winner and chicago is second as always but los angeles is catching up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City