Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami, New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, or Philadelphia?
New York City 97 36.33%
Los Angeles 67 25.09%
Chicago 84 31.46%
Miami 55 20.60%
Philadelphia 51 19.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:28 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
I shouldn't have included Philadelphia, it's really not that large and is only a Gamma. Personally I would say that Chicago is the greenest city and arguably the most educated. New York the economic center. Miami does have the largest concentration of international banks in the country. I would also say people in Los Angeles have the better lifestyle.
As a Philadelphian I am glad they included Philly, and agree it really cannot compare to New York or Chicago.

However in terms of history, culture, medical infrastructure and education, Philly is really a top ranking North American City.

I would argue that Philly's collection of art museums and first rate symphony orchestras even out rank Chicago and Los Angeles. There are over 120 colleges and universities in the immediate Philly area including the Ivy League University of Pennsylvania, Drexel, Temple, Girard, USP, Swarthmore, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, St. Joe's, Villanova, University of the Arts, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 10:38 PM

635 posts, read 1,541,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
As a Philadelphian I am glad they included Philly, and agree it really cannot compare to New York or Chicago.

However in terms of history, culture, medical infrastructure and education, Philly is really a top ranking North American City.

I would argue that Philly's collection of art museums and first rate symphony orchestras even out rank Chicago and Los Angeles. There are over 120 colleges and universities in the immediate Philly area including the Ivy League University of Pennsylvania, Drexel, Temple, Girard, USP, Swarthmore, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, St. Joe's, Villanova, University of the Arts, etc.
Philadelphia definitely has the history. What would you say gives it medical advantages over the other four?

Old 08-21-2011, 02:35 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,262,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah5 View Post
Let me guess, you're more knowlegdable and have more authority than the Federal Government of the United States when it comes to districts and boundaries....

right.
would you be saying that if we were discussing if dc is southern or not?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:45 AM

5 posts, read 12,475 times
Philadelphia is not that bad.
It is not comparable to New York City but it is still a great city in my opinion.
I voted for LA though because I was impressed when I traveled there three years ago.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:21 PM
N69

75 posts, read 84,515 times
IMO

Education- 1) NYC, 2) CHI, 3) L.A, 4) Philadelphia, 5) Miami

Economics- 1. NYC, 2/3) CHI/L.A, 4) Philadelphia, 5) Miami

Culture- 1) Miami, 2) NYC, 3/4) CHI/L.A, 5) Philadelphia

Skyline- 1) NYC, 2) CHI, 3) Miami, 4) L.A, 5) Philadelphia

Greenness- 1) CHI, 2) NYC, 3) L.A, 4) Miami, 5) Philadelphia

Could live in NYC, CHI, Miami, and L.A and enjoy my experience in all, would prefer to never live or go back to Philadelphia however.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:25 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,663,284 times
Seems like a personal opinion is being expressed here, sorry Philly didn't treat you well.

It's hard to figure out why you'd rate Philly below L.A. for education of all things. Miami above NYC for culture is also hard to figure out, but I guess you have different priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N69 View Post
IMO

Could live in NYC, CHI, Miami, and L.A and enjoy my experience in all, would prefer to never live or go back to Philadelphia however.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:26 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,297,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N69 View Post
IMO

I guess everyone has their own opinion. I feel the same about Los Angeles. I love all of these cities for living in and others are definately worth the money and time to visit.

Live: New York, Chicago, Philadelphia
Visit: Miami, Los Angeles

Last edited by Gateway Region; 08-21-2011 at 02:50 PM..

Old 08-21-2011, 04:18 PM

635 posts, read 1,541,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Seems like a personal opinion is being expressed here, sorry Philly didn't treat you well.

It's hard to figure out why you'd rate Philly below L.A. for education of all things. Miami above NYC for culture is also hard to figure out, but I guess you have different priorities.
Los Angeles has great schools. UCLA and USC to name a few, consistently among the top in the nation. It also depends on what you want to go to school for.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:34 PM
N69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post

"Seems like a personal opinion is being expressed here"- Dub King

Yes, a personal opinion indeed. That's why I put "IMO" at the top of my post before I started answering the questions, why go off stats when everything is subjective? Harvard is the best school in the country, but I never applied to it but applied to the likes of Columbia and Stanford instead because I like them more. Would that be incorrect? I personally don't think so, because its mostly my decision of where I would like to go rather than what may seem paper functionality "logical" or not. lol

I like UCLA, aside from the school I did end up with, it was one of my top choices in the past. I like the culture of Miami better especially as I'm all about seaside culture, culture is subjective. I never truly get why others fantasize about what perfect culture is like when in reality culture along with food is as subjective as things get for cities, weather and skylines as well.

As for my experience in Philadelphia. It's a pretty cool city IMO but I wouldn't go back or live there mainly because I've already been there 3 times and have still yet to see many other cities in the nation before I can warrant another trip back. I am still planning on seeing cities I haven't seen before such as Minneapolis, Nashville, and many others before going back to Baltimore, Philadelphia, or the likes. I couldn't live in Philadelphia for weather aspects, career, family, location, atmosphere of architecture, and food types.

Overall, Philadelphia is a great city that you and everyone there should be proud of and cherish, as well as those whom live elsewhere in the country. However its not a city for me per se.

Last edited by N69; 08-21-2011 at 04:49 PM..

Old 08-21-2011, 04:36 PM
N69

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
Los Angeles has great schools. UCLA and USC to name a few, consistently among the top in the nation. It also depends on what you want to go to school for.
Great post, but you forgot about Cal-Tech, which is one of the highest ranking schools in the world and the highest ranking and most prestigious school in Los Angeles. However UCLA and USC are pretty sweet themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City