Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami, New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, or Philadelphia?
New York City 97 36.33%
Los Angeles 67 25.09%
Chicago 84 31.46%
Miami 55 20.60%
Philadelphia 51 19.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:37 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
But it is still established in a sense. It has a reputation as beach/tourist/cruise ship destination; the Gateway to America.
It is much more then that these days, but yes those are some of the principal things which establish Miami. It has established it's self on the world scene pretty well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
You cannot be serious. Compared to the older cities of NY, Philly and Chicago, Miami is relatively new to the scene.
Your right Miami is VERY new to the scene. Besides for Las Vegas I cant think of any major city in the US or even much of the Western World that is as young as Miami. The city really started in 1896 and has grown fast ever since. For a city over 100 years younger then Chi,NYC,PHL and about 50 years younger than LA but LA had people about 80 years before Miami did.
It is remarkable the growth the city has made into becoming one of the cornerstone cities of the US and one of the cornerstone gateways of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
It should be something you all can do to make it a better city. But Philly is a unique city even though it has problems it has great things about it. As far as highrises and stuff go... I have no idea why they build highrises where they do and they don't in other places. Like Miami has more than enough for it's size but they keep building more. Maybe people should promote downtown more, all I can think of.
They keep building in Miami because the city continues to grow in population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
It is much more then that these days, but yes those are some of the principal things which establish Miami. It has established it's self on the world scene pretty well.

Your right Miami is VERY new to the scene. Besides for Las Vegas I cant think of any major city in the US or even much of the Western World that is as young as Miami. The city really started in 1896 and has grown fast ever since. For a city over 100 years younger then Chi,NYC,PHL and about 50 years younger than LA but LA had people about 80 years before Miami did.
It is remarkable the growth the city has made into becoming one of the cornerstone cities of the US and one of the cornerstone gateways of the world.

They keep building in Miami because the city continues to grow in population.
Miami doesn't get enough credit for this. It's a Beta World city that's SUPER new. 70yrs from now, all those buildings that people find "too new" and the general housing stock of Miami is gonna be viewed as "classic housing" the same way brownstones up North are viewed.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:31 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
I got laughed at for saying that Miami is the city that will catch up with New York (in terms of skyline, anyhow) within 50 years. I think it'll happen. Miami knows no limits. Right now it's not so awesome though. Getting better all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami doesn't get enough credit for this. It's a Beta World city that's SUPER new. 70yrs from now, all those buildings that people find "too new" and the general housing stock of Miami is gonna be viewed as "classic housing" the same way brownstones up North are viewed.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
I got laughed at for saying that Miami is the city that will catch up with New York (in terms of skyline, anyhow) within 50 years. I think it'll happen. Miami knows no limits. Right now it's not so awesome though. Getting better all the time.
You'll often get laughed at for saying things like that on C-D.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
I dont know about NYC. NYC continues to grow. Miami already is ranked 3rd in skyline in the US. Maybe it will compete with Chicago in 40 years or so. NYC is a bit of a strech. But I do think in the next 10-20 years Miami will see another building boom. The first one is really still going just a much slower pace now. But we have Biscayne one, the 1,000ft tall building will start going up soon around the same time Brickell City Center starts to goes up. Citicenter is going to be great too. Also we have the new Resort which will come downtown. And that will be a huge game changer. Hopefully the county government figures out it needs some good public transportation to make Miami hit the next level. Miami is never going to be NYC but it will continue to grow and compete with all the other cities in this country lik Chicago, DC, Boston, San Fran.

Downtown Biscayne Bay Resort:

Resorts World Miami - YouTube
It will be done much quicker and at the best/largest scale possible if gambling is legalized in Florida/South Florida.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:28 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I dont know about NYC. NYC continues to grow. Miami already is ranked 3rd in skyline in the US. Maybe it will compete with Chicago in 40 years or so. NYC is a bit of a strech. But I do think in the next 10-20 years Miami will see another building boom. The first one is really still going just a much slower pace now. But we have Biscayne one, the 1,000ft tall building will start going up soon around the same time Brickell City Center starts to goes up. Citicenter is going to be great too. Also we have the new Resort which will come downtown. And that will be a huge game changer. Hopefully the county government figures out it needs some good public transportation to make Miami hit the next level. Miami is never going to be NYC but it will continue to grow and compete with all the other cities in this country lik Chicago, DC, Boston, San Fran.

Downtown Biscayne Bay Resort:

Resorts World Miami - YouTube
It will be done much quicker and at the best/largest scale possible if gambling is legalized in Florida/South Florida.
I Hope Miami will grow even higher.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:45 PM

650 posts, read 1,630,259 times
I am salivating over what Miami can become in the future right now. It has way more potential than people think and I think it will be the ultimate tandem to NYC. NYC-Miami will be like the big 1-2 punch (Wade/James) of the future. Chicago/SF/LA/DC/Philly/Boston will all follow behind as great alternatives.

There is absolutely no city in the U.S. IMO, that is as far away from its potential as Miami. Miami is city that has the athletic tools of a LeBron James, but the tools are being severly underutilized and not used to its best advantage. NYC is like Jordan or a prime Shaq.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:36 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
^^^ i agree with miami. a city that should be a powerhouse.

its not even atlanta, houston or new orleans

its still a resort city

Old 09-17-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post

its still a resort city
No disrespect to NO, but really? And Miami's GDP isn't that far behind Atlantas.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
I am salivating over what Miami can become in the future right now. It has way more potential than people think and I think it will be the ultimate tandem to NYC. NYC-Miami will be like the big 1-2 punch (Wade/James) of the future. Chicago/SF/LA/DC/Philly/Boston will all follow behind as great alternatives.

There is absolutely no city in the U.S. IMO, that is as far away from its potential as Miami. Miami is city that has the athletic tools of a LeBron James, but the tools are being severly underutilized and not used to its best advantage. NYC is like Jordan or a prime Shaq.
I agree with you 100%. It is way behind its potential but people need to remember most other cities which Miami is compared to got a 100 year head start. Just look at the growth the city has done in the last 15 years it remarkable and it is continuing to grow. NYC and Miami are highly connected already. The Miami Metro-NYC Metro is the most traveled air market in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post

its still a resort city
What in the wolrd are you talking about? New Orleans? You serious? Miami is right on the level of Atlanta and Houston. Miami's GDP is just a little bit behind Atlanta. Miami is larger international gateway than the two, entertainment, and finance larger than those two. I wont even comment on New Orleans, New Orleans is a town compared to Miami. As for business here is where Miami stands in the world: GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2010 Look at that, right there with Atlanta, above Houston, New Orleans barely makes the list. Miami is right on the brink of hitting the next level. I know not the best source/survey out there but it is something.
Miami is an international business hub and domestic and international tourist hub. But it is much more important than a resort city.

Last edited by FlyMIA; 09-17-2011 at 12:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City