Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 04:56 PM

46 posts, read 79,260 times

Advertisements

It all depends what measurements of ppsm were talking about. If were talking about 10,000+ then Philadelphia is the largest. 5,000+ San Francisco seems larger due to west coast suburban development. I usually look at the 1950 urban area populations since most development after that period is surburban in nature. Their are a few exceptions like D.C. which was tied with St Louis, Cleveland, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh. Due to WWII and the Cold war Washingtons population boomed past its competitors. Detroits decline in population density and structual density made it posible for San Francisco and Washington to pass it. The large southern metro's will probably pass Detroit in urban and big city feel in the next comming decade.

1. New York
2. Chicago/Los Angeles
3. Philadelphia
4. San Francisco/Boston
5. Washington D.C.
6. Detroit/ Miami
7. Dallas/Houston
8. Atlanta/Phoenix
9. Minniapolis
10. Baltimore/St Louis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 05:00 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Then by all means, do post information on other metrics.

Im certainly not stopping you.
You're not even pretending to be serious anymore with this foolishness. You never answered my question about whether San Bruno or Hayward felt like big cities to you. Presumably the answer is no, even though they have pop densities of over 5,000. *gasp* So then that's not the sole determinant?

A lot of things go into making a city feel big aside from mere population density. If that were the case, we could scurry off to Wikipedia, print off a top 10 list, then close this thread. Some factors are pretty straight forward such as --wait for it-- actually being a big city. It's pretty challenging to pull off a big city feel when your total population and area are small. Outside of that, there are other far more subjective criteria such as the busyness of the town, pace of living, appearance/architecture. Philly's faster paced than SF and has some A+ urban landscaping.

But you keep up with those maps, pal. I wasn't kidding when I said Torrance, CA has a higher density than Dallas. I guess Torrance feels like the big city to you, even though it's a small suburb.

Edit Action:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanti View Post
It all depends what measurements of ppsm were talking about. If were talking about 10,000+ then Philadelphia is the largest. 5,000+ San Francisco seems larger due to west coast suburban development.

1. New York
2. Chicago/Los Angeles
3. Philadelphia
4. San Francisco/Boston
5. Washington D.C.
6. Detroit/ Miami
7. Dallas/Houston
8. Atlanta/Phoenix
9. Minniapolis
10. Baltimore/St Louis
Great post. Not only because your list almost exactly mirrors mine, but it is a sleight of hand to use 5,000+ as the measurement, which needs to be emphasized.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:03 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Oh? Then maybe my eyes deceive me when I view that map full of splotches of purple, with a yellow line encircling the 5,000+ areas. This line also includes cities like Hayward, Fremont, and for the love of high comedy, San Bruno. If you're going to argue that San Bruno has a big city feel, then we have nothing else to talk about. If otherwise, may I humbly suggest that you stop using ONE metric to determine what gives a place a big city feel?
These purple maps are a rorhshach test. 18 looks into them and sees the awesomeness that is SF (no surprise, but nonetheless impressive, I must say, for an Oaklander). Several of us are just not seeing it, however, despite all the repetitive messaging. If we drop talking about the pretty little maps for a while, perhaps all the hubbub will die down and we can move back to the topic: "How would you list the top 10 'big city' feeling cities in order?" For me:

NY
Chicago
Philly
Boston
SF
DC
LA
Baltimore
Miami
Seattle

Old 08-24-2011, 05:11 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
You're not even pretending to be serious anymore with this foolishness.
Its hard to take stupid questions seriously.

Quote:
You never answered my question about whether San Bruno or Hayward felt like big cities to you.
I actually answered the question quite succinctly, with something you deliberately ignored: Context

Campbell, CA(50 miles from DT SF) is way more 'big city' than Elkton, MD(50 miles from DT Philadephia)

San Bruno, CA(12 miles from Downtown Philadelphia) is way more 'big city' than Springfield, PA(12 miles from DT Philadelphia)

Anything else I can help you with?

Old 08-24-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N69 View Post
1. NYC
2. L.A
3. CHI
4. SF Bay Area
5. D.C.
6. Boston
This is almost a carbon copy of my own ranking and I totally agree that these are the largest feeling metrpolitan areas.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:18 PM

381 posts, read 862,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
These purple maps are a rorhshach test. 18 looks into them and sees the awesomeness that is SF (no surprise, but nonetheless impressive, I must say, for an Oaklander). Several of us are just not seeing it, however, despite all the repetitive messaging. If we drop talking about the pretty little maps for a while, perhaps all the hubbub will die down and we can move back to the topic: "How would you list the top 10 'big city' feeling cities in order?" For me:

NY
Chicago
Philly
Boston
SF
DC
LA
Baltimore
Miami
Seattle
No matter how you parse the metro areas, I think the reason SF beats out Philly is that it feels more urban and bustling in the downtown and inner neighborhoods (a very large area). There are fewer parking lots, everything is crammed together, and the sidewalks are packed in these areas of SF. Philly - even Center City - doesn't have quite that same feeling.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:26 PM

617 posts, read 1,423,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldojernkins View Post
Are you kidding? The Bay Area is one of the very few places in the country where you can drive 75+ miles and be in an indisputibly urban environment the entire time. One example is driving from South San Jose to Richmond via San Francisco is just that - you feel like you are driving through an endless metropolis.
Hence my wording "any direction"

Old 08-24-2011, 05:28 PM

12 posts, read 10,984 times
1. NY
2. Chicago/Philadelphia
3. Los Angeles.

Then everyother city.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:30 PM

381 posts, read 862,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
Hence my wording "any direction"
Really? Any direction? Because 8 miles directly north from Center City you'll find this:

Philadelphia, PA to PA-611 N/Old York Rd - Google Maps

And 7 miles west you'll find this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=ph...14.89,,0,-0.91

Old 08-24-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
These purple maps are a rorhshach test. 18 looks into them and sees the awesomeness that is SF (no surprise, but nonetheless impressive, I must say, for an Oaklander).
*yawns*

Word to the Wise: Usually one doesnt imply some sort of intellectual superiority over a person based on their hometown, especially if your own hometown isnt even on the same planet in that regard.

Adults with a Bachelor's Degree or Higher:
Oakland, CA 36.1%
Philadelphia, PA 22.1%

Adults with an Advanced Degree:
Oakland, CA 15.3%
Philadelphia, PA 9.1%

FYI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City