Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
We throw stats and evidence, you throw bad attitude and whining.
Sa wah? Oh, like this:
Quote:
And this thread is not about urban, but what place feels better and the Bay Area most certainly feels bigger than the Philadelphia Area..
. . . he said, stamping his feet and turning red, hoping someone would agree. "It's true, it's true, I tell ya."

Oh and this:
Quote:
London is okay but its not San Francisco.
Seriously, you jumped the shark with that one
Post some more of your purple rorschacks, and tell us you the tea leaves tell ya.

Last edited by JMT; 08-25-2011 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: Removed image
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 09:45 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Word to the Wise: Usually one doesnt imply some sort of intellectual superiority over a person based on their hometown, especially if your own hometown isnt even on the same planet in that regard
You must have mis-interpreted something. I am not implying anything. I am simply saying I feel lucky to live in the city I prefer. I hope the same for you one day.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:51 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Sa wah? Oh, like this:

. . . he said, stamping his feet and turning red, hoping someone would agree. "It's true, it's true, I tell ya."

Oh and this:

Post some more of your purple rorschacks, and tell us you the tea leaves tell ya.
Yes, every now and then I allow myself to get sucked into your communal whirlpool of envy and bitterness.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Yes, but Im trying to test the veracity of your claim, that Philadelphia and environs has 200 contiguous square miles of 10,000+persons-per-square mile neighborhoods.

And so far, I dont see how its possible.

However, I have found some very lovely suburban neighborhoods that are quite nice actually---and very livable.

So despite the sarcasm in my comment, I indeed am pleasantly surprised.

Yes there are many tremendous places to live in the area, some in and some outside the city.

Will give the continuous footprint that is over 10K ppsm in the continuously connected 200 sq mile footprint, it was a pain because I did it by tract not by municipality where the odd shapes (municipalities) depress the extended footprint but yes I had over 200 sq miles and about 2.2 million people. I have the calculation done but need to access a work drive. My laptop was stolen about a month ago and window smashed in my car, oddly on one of the wealthiest streets in all of Philly, actually right here where the Benz is in this image

19th and delancy - Google Maps

Old 08-24-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
You must have mis-interpreted something. I am not implying anything. I am simply saying I feel lucky to live in the city I prefer. I hope the same for you one day.
Sure whatever you say.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:55 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Sa wah? Oh, like this:

Oh and this:

Love the jump the shark comment - I actually only recently realized the true tie to Happy Days

Old 08-24-2011, 10:13 PM

617 posts, read 1,424,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
@dtownboogie - Most of those choices are big cities, and I can only speak for Seattle, Miami and Minneapolis in terms of what they "feel like," but Seattle and Miami feel like large cities in places. But Minneapolis? Brb. LOLing forever.

And before you try to counter-snark me, I lived in Mpls for three years. Minneapolis and Mayberry are essentially interchangeable.
Never been to Minneapolis perhaps I should have listed Denver eventhough I've heard it has a small metro for a city of its size.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:05 AM

312 posts, read 437,138 times
1. Los Angeles
2. New York
3. Chicago
4. Bay Area
5. Washington
6. Boston
7. Dallas
8. Houston
9. Miami
10. Atlanta

I don't have much experience in Philadelphia so I cant place it accurately with other cities, I would imagine it to be pretty high on the list though. The city of New York feels way larger than Los Angeles but the metro level is where Los Angeles feels like forever. It's taken me half a day worth of drive to get around and out of Los Angeles before, and that's never been my experience anywhere else.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:36 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,217,839 times

Old 08-25-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
I don't have much experience in Philadelphia so I cant place it accurately with other cities, I would imagine it to be pretty high on the list though. The city of New York feels way larger than Los Angeles but the metro level is where Los Angeles feels like forever. It's taken me half a day worth of drive to get around and out of Los Angeles before, and that's never been my experience anywhere else.
I totally agree.

At Metro level, by car Los Angeles does indeed feel like it just goes on forever and ever and ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City