Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 06:58 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, every now and then I allow myself to get sucked into your communal whirlpool of envy and bitterness.

What? You're a black hole of envy and bitterness. This whole thread has been consumed by your lunch room bullying. Quite honestly, I'd prefer if you'd think of the others who are trying to have a discussion in this thread.

We get it, you love SF. It's the most urban place behind NYC to you. Thanks for your opinion; now please move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 07:01 AM

After reading some posts, I'm starting to second guess my previous listing. LA may not have as many skyscrapers and as big of a downtown feel as Chicago, but it definitely has a BIG city feel. That's also not to say that it doesn't feel big downtown, but it has a different feeling of a large city. It feels like it goes on forever and hardly scales down at all when making some serious distance from the main downtown.

I'm interested to see what others think who may have more experience with both (than I have).

Old 08-25-2011, 07:07 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes there are many tremendous places to live in the area, some in and some outside the city.
I have a soft spot for big CITY houses.

This Pacific Heights Mansion is probably the closest thing to what I would consider the ultimate dream house.

http://sf.curbed.com/uploads/2008_09_2799-Broadway.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2654/...b675765be7.jpg

Service Entrance and Garage in an alley behind the house...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/...b47fcde0_z.jpg

Up the street, sits another one of my favorites...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2800/...8e0c380e_b.jpg

This spectacular Philadelphia mansion is right up my alley*sighs*

http://priceypads.com/wp-content/upl...nxcbq_PMAS.jpg

http://priceypads.com/wp-content/upl...ns9z2_PMAS.jpg

Lovely...

http://priceypads.com/wp-content/upl...czwqp_PMAS.jpg

Last edited by 18Montclair; 08-25-2011 at 07:31 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
What? You're a black hole of envy and bitterness. This whole thread has been consumed by your lunch room bullying.
Nope your reading comprehension appears to have eluded you. I posted an opinion that was called to task and balked at by a band of marauding haters(as usual) and when I respond, I respond.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 AM

179 posts, read 402,555 times
Quote:
I totally agree.

At Metro level, by car Los Angeles does indeed feel like it just goes on forever and ever and ever.
But it doesn't really feel like a city....just a huge suburban neighborhood outside of city limits (which it is)...

Anyway,
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Philadelphia
5. Boston
6. Los Angeles
7. Miami
8. Atlanta
9. Houston
10. Dallas

Old 08-25-2011, 07:26 AM

928 posts, read 1,713,043 times
Quote:
After reading some posts, I'm starting to second guess my previous listing. LA may not have as many skyscrapers and as big of a downtown feel as Chicago, but it definitely has a BIG city feel. That's also not to say that it doesn't feel big downtown, but it has a different feeling of a large city. It feels like it goes on forever and hardly scales down at all when making some serious distance from the main downtown.

I'm interested to see what others think who may have more experience with both (than I have).
You rang? I'm from Los Angeles, and currently live in Chicago. They have about the same size feel, but in different ways. Downtown Chicago obviously has an enormous skyline, but once you leave the central areas, things start to get small, with a lot of areas that are almost entirely residential. The city seems to be largely clustered along the north/south L lines on the North side of town, with most everything else being scaled down. Los Angeles also has some areas, of course, that are almost entirely residential, but they seem to be intermittently sandwiched in between spots of congestion and big buildings. The city doesn't seem to scale down in any particular direction, and rather just has areas spread throughout that seem small along with areas all over that seem large. It's a strange place, LA, but we like it that way.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Nope your reading comprehension appears to have eluded you. I posted an opinion that was called to task and balked at by a band of marauding haters(as usual) and when I respond, I respond.
Whatever man. All I know is that I've been reading your posts for years and I used to think you were really level-headed and knew how to pick and choose your battles. Now you snap back at people and litter threads with repetitious content. It's not even about SF vs. Philly, it's about putting your opinion and your content out there and if people don't agree, then you move on. Shoveling the same crap in people's faces with snide comments doesn't exactly help your cause. It's called 3rd person perspective and self evaluation.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
You rang? I'm from Los Angeles, and currently live in Chicago. They have about the same size feel, but in different ways. Downtown Chicago obviously has an enormous skyline, but once you leave the central areas, things start to get small, with a lot of areas that are almost entirely residential. The city seems to be largely clustered along the north/south L lines on the North side of town, with most everything else being scaled down. Los Angeles also has some areas, of course, that are almost entirely residential, but they seem to be intermittently sandwiched in between spots of congestion and big buildings. The city doesn't seem to scale down in any particular direction, and rather just has areas spread throughout that seem small along with areas all over that seem large. It's a strange place, LA, but we like it that way.
LA's size is mind-boggling, especially with it densifying. Thanks for the perspective. I visited recently and felt how large it is, mostly because of the consistent medium-level density that doesn't last that long in most cities. However, I didn't get to explore as much as I would have liked.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Whatever man.
My sentiments exactly.

First you say this thread is not about SF vs Philly as if Im the one who made it that way(In case you havent noticed, ANY thread remotely related to Philly becomes a thread about Philly and how its supposedly unfairly perceived) and now you appear to be making this thread about me.

Here's a thought, why don't you post something related to this topic and move on from there.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
You rang? I'm from Los Angeles...The city doesn't seem to scale down in any particular direction, and rather just has areas spread throughout that seem small along with areas all over that seem large. It's a strange place, LA, but we like it that way.
But those characteristics are what make LA seem so massive.

Drive down Sunset, Wilshire, Santa Monica etc and its exactly as you describe, relatively dense residential areas with large retail and commercial areas in between them. And that's just the Westside.

On a visit about a month ago, I drove on city streets from Downtown all the way to Santa Monica mainly because I had things to do along the way and it took forever with traffic, but also because there was so much that distracted me that I stopped and walked around.

By the way, I hate driving there during the day, but absolutely love it late nights---ironically just like when Im in New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City