Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 10:31 PM

292 posts, read 752,719 times

Advertisements

I agree LA is totally underrated.

So much of it looks like this (I know, this is Beverly Hills - same difference) and this type of density and urban environment covers vast terrain in LA.

Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 11:12 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,824,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
LOL. If you're ranking on downtown alone, Chicago is handily number two. I wonder what percentage of people have spent a significant amount of time in ALL of the cities they ranked. I deliberately didn't fill out my list to number 10, because doing so would mean a lot of speculation. Every city I put on my list I've either lived in, or traveled to extensively. Putting SF at number two based on its downtown, especially above Chicago, is a laugh-out-loud funny delusion of someone who must be from the area and hasn't seen the other cities on the list.

I've lived in both SF Bay and Chicago, and am not from either one originally, so I have no bias in the matter. I view each as an objective outsider.
I have been to Chicago ,NY , And SanFransico Downtown NY and San Fran have large dense downtowns. Chicago didnt seem as dense or big as San Fran but thats what I saw.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:03 AM

765 posts, read 1,860,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
We appear to be on the same wave length. I saw those earlier but wasnt sure how to compare places since they are all different scales.

Anyway, I tried to connect PA+NJ+DE to scale with CA and came up with this extremely unprofessional homemade map(LOL):

The NJ and Delaware maps show the second darkest hue as 5,000-9,999 and the third darkest hue as 1,000-4,999. I think they did that for small states.
You gotta admit that this shows Philly > SF with large continuous sprawl of 10,000 ppsm. Not only that but the Delaware Valley seems to be on par with the Bay Area.

I hope you also appreciate that Philly not only has a large area of high density neighborhoods, but that it also has plenty of lower density neighborhoods. This is why I believe Philly has plenty to satisfy many different tastes. It's a great big city

Old 08-26-2011, 12:07 AM

928 posts, read 1,713,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
I have been to Chicago ,NY , And SanFransico Downtown NY and San Fran have large dense downtowns. Chicago didnt seem as dense or big as San Fran but thats what I saw.
And now you're putting downtown SF on the same page as downtown NY? Credibility: shattered.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
LOL. If you're ranking on downtown alone, Chicago is handily number two. I wonder what percentage of people have spent a significant amount of time in ALL of the cities they ranked. I deliberately didn't fill out my list to number 10, because doing so would mean a lot of speculation. Every city I put on my list I've either lived in, or traveled to extensively. Putting SF at number two based on its downtown, especially above Chicago, is a laugh-out-loud funny delusion of someone who must be from the area and hasn't seen the other cities on the list.

I've lived in both SF Bay and Chicago, and am not from either one originally, so I have no bias in the matter. I view each as an objective outsider.
I don't think Chicago is single handedly number two. Just because it has a huge, amazing and super-tall skyline doesn't mean it is more urban and vibrant than San Francisco. San Francisco has a much higher residential density around the core than Chicago does and the cohesiveness of SF's neighborhoods certainly makes it feel very busy. Chicago's core is just more expansive and large, with lots of open spaces and wide streets. Yeah the Loop is ridiculously dense, but once you head out of the Loop, you have lots of open spaces, large streets and not a lot of street level retail. The hustle bustle of SF (and Philly) feel more like NYC due to more cohesive neighborhoods and lots of street level retail. I didn't get that vibe in Chicago. The vibe I got was a clean, spacious, large downtown with lots of towering skyscrapers, yet not so much interesting on a street level outside Michigan Ave. And downtown Chicago got quiet really fast...like at least 6 pm.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:34 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
You gotta admit that this shows Philly > SF with large continuous sprawl of 10,000 ppsm. Not only that but the Delaware Valley seems to be on par with the Bay Area.
Well I already conceded that Philadelphia's main 'blob' is larger but their total 10,000+ppsm area appears to be far smaller than 200 sq miles, not even covering the entire city of Philadelphia--but still, Ive already conceded that the 10,000+ppsm cluster of Philadelphia is larger however its also a fact that the Bay Area's 10,000+ppsm areas are are a bit more spread out and cover a wider area.

However about the Delaware Valley, No because the Census Map in the last graphs have for the second darkest hue a density range of 1,000-9,999 which is absurd. LOL.

This is why I prefer the NY Times maps because they show 5,000+

Philadelphia, San Francisco & Boston To Scale:

If the NY Times separated 10,000+ as its own hue than it would be perfect.

Quote:
I hope you also appreciate that Philly not only has a large area of high density neighborhoods, but that it also has plenty of lower density neighborhoods.This is why I believe Philly has plenty to satisfy many different tastes. It's a great big city
This is what I basically stated in my post.

That Philadelphia really surprised me with the variance in housing options---Im EXTREMELY IMPRESSED.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Well I already conceded that Philadelphia's main 'blob' is larger but their total 10,000+ppsm area appears to be far smaller than 200 sq miles, not even covering the entire city of Philadelphia--but still, Ive already conceded that the 10,000+ppsm cluster of Philadelphia is larger however its also a fact that the Bay Area's 10,000+ppsm areas are are a bit more spread out and cover a wider area.

However about the Delaware Valley, No because the Census Map in the last graphs have for the second darkest hue a density range of 1,000-9,999 which is absurd. LOL.

This is why I prefer the NY Times maps because they show 5,000+

Philadelphia, San Francisco & Boston To Scale:

If the NY Times separated 10,000+ as its own hue than it would be perfect.

This is what I basically stated in my post.

That Philadelphia really surprised me with the variance in housing options---Im EXTREMELY IMPRESSED.
Philly is big and obviously not all of it is 10,000+ ppsm, but a good chunk of it is. Cut some neighborhoods out, you'd end up with San Francisco on a slightly larger scale. But no, Philly is much bigger and encompasses the more quiet and some of them suburban neighborhoods that San Francisco does not seem to have much of at all.

According to both maps, Philly has a more impressive blob of 10,000+ ppsm, while the Bay Area beats Philly in the 5,000+ ppsm blob. The question is, which feels more urban? Which map holds greater weight in this discussion? We have the data, now we have to interpret.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Here's a map of Philadelphia, SF and DC

Not implying that this is a sign that its more 'urban' or more 'big city' per se, but feels bigger, busier, more built up over a wider area.

And I'll say it again, Philadelphia's main 10,000+ppsm cluster is larger than SFs. I dont know if I was too off on the scale though because I focused on making sure SF City fit into Philly City 3.5 times. LOL. But I could still be off of course.

Er, I guess Im being a bit geeky with these maps.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:06 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Here's a map of Philadelphia, SF and DC

Not implying that this is a sign that its more 'urban' or more 'big city' per se, but feels bigger, busier, more built up over a wider area.

And I'll say it again, Philadelphia's main 10,000+ppsm cluster is larger than SFs. I dont know if I was too off on the scale though because I focused on making sure SF City fit into Philly City 3.5 times. LOL. But I could still be off of course.

Er, I guess Im being a bit geeky with these maps.
Baltimore's blob should be bigger, especially if start going north of tha city into Towson.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:30 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yeah, some people (at least two posters) ranked it above Philly and I was like wow!!!! I don't think there is any part of DFW that feels bigger than Philly
As a region DFW is larger than Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City