Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What urban center has the WORST PT system
Boston 19 7.17%
Chicago 12 4.53%
New York 13 4.91%
Philadelphia 86 32.45%
San Francisco 118 44.53%
Washington DC 17 6.42%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 01:49 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
I really cant see how anyone can SEPTA is one of the worst. Last time I checked "ALL" Public Transit agencies have some kinks in them. People fail to realize that. Someone mentioned about DC Metro having more coverage in the suburbs , I'm not sure if they meant distance from the city core, or more stations. If its stations , and distance from city core SEPTA does a great job I mean come on...when the commuter rail goes into two other states is that poor coverage ? and when it goes 33+Miles from the city core ?. I'm a SEPTA /Public transit geek...Philly has five subways.

MFL , BSL, Broad-Ridge Spur, PATCO, SUBWAY-SURFACE LINES (someone said the trolleys don't qualify to be a subway, well obviously they do if they run in the subway and SEPTA calls them a "Subway -Surface" for a reason). Far as I'm concerned SEPTA covers a lot and gets you to point A - B a whole lot better then other cities. And with other cities who are just building light rail lines and giving them tunnels those cities consider it a subway, so no one should not being the trolleys here is not in a subway. I don't see SEPTA poorly serving the area. SEPTA was more extensive 30 years ago, and even with less it still is.

If anything I think SEPTA has some of the best connections with its services then some of the other citites.
Philly is certainly far from being the worst.

http://planphilly.com/uploads/media_....752.766.s.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 11:47 PM

4,531 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
I really cant see how anyone can SEPTA is one of the worst. Last time I checked "ALL" Public Transit agencies have some kinks in them. People fail to realize that. Someone mentioned about DC Metro having more coverage in the suburbs , I'm not sure if they meant distance from the city core, or more stations. If its stations , and distance from city core SEPTA does a great job I mean come on...when the commuter rail goes into two other states is that poor coverage ? and when it goes 33+Miles from the city core ?. I'm a SEPTA /Public transit geek...Philly has five subways.

MFL , BSL, Broad-Ridge Spur, PATCO, SUBWAY-SURFACE LINES (someone said the trolleys don't qualify to be a subway, well obviously they do if they run in the subway and SEPTA calls them a "Subway -Surface" for a reason). Far as I'm concerned SEPTA covers a lot and gets you to point A - B a whole lot better then other cities. And with other cities who are just building light rail lines and giving them tunnels those cities consider it a subway, so no one should not being the trolleys here is not in a subway. I don't see SEPTA poorly serving the area. SEPTA was more extensive 30 years ago, and even with less it still is.

If anything I think SEPTA has some of the best connections with its services then some of the other citites.
Absolutely, Philly transit is hardly the worst, or anywhere near it... But the context of the OC is which of the Top 6 listed was the worst... and I didn't care for the word "worst", instead preferring "lesser" or something like that, because they are all superior to the American big-city norm... It's kind of like saying which is the worst college in the Ivy League? Obviously, whichever you decide is "worst" is light years above even above average colleges. US News Rates all Ivies as no worse than 15th best ... in the nation.

Context is key.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:36 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Philly is certainly far from being the worst.

http://planphilly.com/uploads/media_....752.766.s.jpg
Of these six, it's only above SF/Bay Area, so that's pretty close to the worst with respect to this topic. However, the distance between Philadelphia and Boston (the next up) is narrower than the distance between Philadelphia and SF, so there's that.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:40 AM

385 posts, read 401,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I'm not an expert on the railroad/local passenger train regs. I do know that commuter cars sharing freight corridors must meet crash standards, meaning they must be heavier with stronger reinforced walls and windows. SEPTA's commuter cars meet this standard. Of SEPTA's 13 commuter lines, only a few of them (and only portions of those few) share trackage with mainline freight runs, and those are primarily the 3 Amtrak routes (Trenton, Wilmington/Newark, DE and the outer-most portion of the Thorndale line). Philly has long segregated the services.

Boston's T commuter system actually carries more passengers than SEPTA's regional rail, despite metro Philly being larger than metro Boston and with Philly's system being fully electrified and connected by the Center City tunnel, while Boston's is all diesel serving the North and South station stubs. If the through connecting tunnel was built to connect North and South stations, I would think the entire network would need to be electrified. So far, only the Providence line is electrified with the Acela trains, but T trains are all diesel running under the wires.

I think Chicago would greatly benefit from electrifying its full commuter network connected to, and compatible with, the Metra electric line to the south side suburbs (plus, of course, the historic South Bend interurban). Metra's mainly diesel operates as traditional suburban commuter rail lines with some in-city stations, whereas Metra Electric is rapid-transit like, with mostly in-city stations very closely-spaced and bundled services along the trunk line producing very frequent headways.
As of Q4 2014
SEPTA Carried more then MBTA on the commuter side.

SEPTA-134,600 Avg.Weekday
MBTA-130,600 Avg.Weekday

SEPTA's commuter rail ridership has been increasing for sometime now. I think MBTA just started seeing a decrease.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:26 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
should safety be a consideration. whats up with the t ? there have been 4 people hit by subways this year that i know of (2 this week alone ).

Old 12-10-2015, 08:56 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
should safety be a consideration. whats up with the t ? there have been 4 people hit by subways this year that i know of (2 this week alone ).
Usually suicide.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:00 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
As of Q4 2014
SEPTA Carried more then MBTA on the commuter side.

SEPTA-134,600 Avg.Weekday
MBTA-130,600 Avg.Weekday

SEPTA's commuter rail ridership has been increasing for sometime now. I think MBTA just started seeing a decrease.
If you count the Ferries (which are serve the same purpose as Commuter rail) its a wash.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:19 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If you count the Ferries (which are serve the same purpose as Commuter rail) its a wash.

fair though that is just SEPTA and doesnt include any NJT rail into Philly either, though daily ridership is rather paltry on that line with 3K per day

rather than getting cought up in 1K her or 1K there both are pretty widely used and both could be better.

It seems Boston i looking at the through routing which would be a big boost. Philly has this now but will say I believe is sadly under-used bsed on the coverage. The current form could easily handle a 50% increase in riders with no additional infrastructure. Philly does not have the same core demand in terms of number of jobs when compared to Boston. Not sure how close to cpacity Boston RR is as really have no experience with it like I have had with the Green lines and subway there. It seems pretty similar and based on the ridership its very close either way

Old 12-10-2015, 09:20 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Usually suicide.
probably, but i remember reading about one instance where a tourist fell inside the tracks of the redline while holding her baby and people had to pull her up.

i remember years ago a deaf man got hit by a market street subway on septa (they were working on the westbound track so all trains were on the eastbound track so if you couldnt hear you had to poke your head out to see where the train is coming from).

Old 12-10-2015, 12:21 PM

385 posts, read 401,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Why would a ferry be counted towards the numbers when its not commuter rail ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City