Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
SoCal 35 44.30%
Bay Area 44 55.70%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:10 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
It may also be a function of Norcal being more intellectual and politically involved than Socal overall. Also, the Asian American community in SF is very well established.
In other words, SF is more of a 'hub' ?

LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 02:36 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,182 times
I disagree that L.A. has a more diverse Asian population. L.A. is much more segregated than the Bay Area. In the Bay, Asians live in every type of neighborhood from the richest upscale wealthy neighborhoods to some of the poorest, roughest ghetto neighborhoods in America. Asians are not likely to live close to Blacks in a city like L.A. The only Asians in Black areas in L.A. tend to be the stereotypical Korean liquor store and deli owners because Black areas in L.A. are 90%+ Black or equally Black and Hispanic. This racial tension based on extreme segregation and the strict racial hierarchy in L.A. of Korean ghetto business owners being the middle man between rich Whites and poor Blacks/Hispanics is what sparked the infamous riots back in 1992. The type of widespread violence directed at Asians, as a whole, in L.A. in 92' has historically been much less common in the Bay Area because Asians are more diverse socially and economically in the Bay. Blacks and Hispanics are lumped together in the L.A. area with pretty much zero Whites or Asians living anywhere near them. There are very few exceptions to this rule in hyper-segregated L.A.

https://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ngeles-CA.html

https://www.city-data.com/city/Compton-California.html

The Bay Area is very much the opposite. Cultural overlap in the Bay Area is much more common among Asians and people of other races. In certain areas in Oakland, you can't tell an Asian person from a Black person because many neighborhoods have just as many Blacks as Asians living side by side who look, walk, talk and dress the same. This is because Black culture is the dominant culture in Oakland because the town used to be primarily Black not too long ago. Take the notorious San Antonio neighborhood in East Oakland for example where Blacks and Asians of similar income live side by side:

https://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...akland-CA.html

Look at some of the residents of Oakland's San Antonio aka the "Murder Dubs". This guy spitting rhymes of ghetto life in the hood in the Murder Dubs in Oakland could be 100% Asian, and he probably is full blooded Asian because there are more Asians than Blacks in this rough part of Oakland. Although his facial features are undeniably very Asian, you can't tell what his exact background is because of all the cultural overlap between Asians and Blacks in this part of Oakland. In this part of Oakland, and many ghetto parts of the Bay, it is normal for young Asians to look, talk and dress like this because they grew up around Blacks in the hood. I couldn't imagine someone like this living in Watts, Inglewood or Compton. Those Black ghetto L.A. communities are way less than 1% Asian:

Last edited by goldenchild08; 11-07-2011 at 03:06 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 04:51 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Ah, I forgot what a shangri-la utopia the Bay Area is, with all of the rich, smart, multi-racial people living in perfect harmony.

And all of dumb poor segregated people down here in L.A. Nothing but poor people and Korean liquor store owners.

Stupid me.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:59 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I disagree that L.A. has a more diverse Asian population. L.A. is much more segregated than the Bay Area. In the Bay, Asians live in every type of neighborhood from the richest upscale wealthy neighborhoods to some of the poorest, roughest ghetto neighborhoods in America. Asians are not likely to live close to Blacks in a city like L.A. The only Asians in Black areas in L.A. tend to be the stereotypical Korean liquor store and deli owners because Black areas in L.A. are 90%+ Black or equally Black and Hispanic. This racial tension based on extreme segregation and the strict racial hierarchy in L.A. of Korean ghetto business owners being the middle man between rich Whites and poor Blacks/Hispanics is what sparked the infamous riots back in 1992. The type of widespread violence directed at Asians, as a whole, in L.A. in 92' has historically been much less common in the Bay Area because Asians are more diverse socially and economically in the Bay. Blacks and Hispanics are lumped together in the L.A. area with pretty much zero Whites or Asians living anywhere near them. There are very few exceptions to this rule in hyper-segregated L.A.

The Bay Area is very much the opposite. Cultural overlap in the Bay Area is much more common among Asians and people of other races. In certain areas in Oakland, you can't tell an Asian person from a Black person because many neighborhoods have just as many Blacks as Asians living side by side who look, walk, talk and dress the same. This is because Black culture is the dominant culture in Oakland because the town used to be primarily Black not too long ago. Take the notorious San Antonio neighborhood in East Oakland for example where Blacks and Asians of similar income live side by side:

Look at some of the residents of Oakland's San Antonio aka the "Murder Dubs". This guy spitting rhymes of ghetto life in the hood in the Murder Dubs in Oakland could be 100% Asian, and he probably is full blooded Asian because there are more Asians than Blacks in this rough part of Oakland. Although his facial features are undeniably very Asian, you can't tell what his exact background is because of all the cultural overlap between Asians and Blacks in this part of Oakland. In this part of Oakland, and many ghetto parts of the Bay, it is normal for young Asians to look, talk and dress like this because they grew up around Blacks in the hood. I couldn't imagine someone like this living in Watts, Inglewood or Compton. Those Black ghetto L.A. communities are way less than 1% Asian:

LA is more diverse percentage and numbers wise, but in terms of integration then yeah I agree with you. In that neighborhood you pointed out (San Antonio), blacks, hispanics, asians and whites all live there and have been living there for a while... ethnic businesses that would normally only be frequented by people in the group (Mexican grocery stores, taquerias, chinese restaurants & markets, etc.) get frequented by everybody in the neighborhood. I was waiting for the 62 bus two days ago on 23rd & Foothill where there's a Mexican grocery store and a taqueria next to each other and I literally saw more asians and blacks using them than latinos. That wouldn't happen in a ghetto neighborhood in LA.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Ah, I forgot what a shangri-la utopia the Bay Area is, with all of the rich, smart, multi-racial people living in perfect harmony.

And all of dumb poor segregated people down here in L.A. Nothing but poor people and Korean liquor store owners.

Stupid me.

Nobody said that. Factually though the Bay Area is more integrated than LA, which also applies to its Asian population. Point out the Funktown in Los Angeles:

Median household income: $42,644

This is not considered a wealthy neighborhood by any stretch of the imagination (it's considerably below the city average). As Goldenchild said, point out the San Antonio:

Median household income: $38,439

Again, not a wealthy area at all. Hell, even looking at wealthy areas, point out the Ridgemont in Los Angeles:

Median household income: $109,864

The integration doesn't stop at a neighborhood level either. They often go to the same churches, participate in the same festivals, are on the same community boards, etc.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:18 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post

So the conclusion your video is trying to drive at is that Asians in LA have a lot more sense in their head?

Old 11-07-2011, 05:18 PM

But anyway, LA wins in terms of sheer numbers and population diversity. The Bay wins in terms of visibility throughout the metro, the workplace, politics, media, etc. While the Bay can still be argued to be the cultural hub (and certainly the historical cultural hub), that will possibly change in the next 10-20 years, at which point it will either go to NYC or LA.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
So the conclusion your video is trying to drive at is that Asians in LA have a lot more sense in their head?

No, what goldenchild was driving at is that even at the socioeconomic bottom of the Bay - the part that is rampantly segregated nearly everywhere else in America - its still integrated. And largely, there are no sub-communities within the neighborhoods either; the whole neighborhood - blacks, hispanics, whites, asians - actually forms the community. I see this every Sunday at Shiloh Church in East Oakland:

I see this in neighborhood community institutions such as East Side Arts Alliance (in the San Antonio neighborhood):

I see this with the kids at the schools I volunteer at... it's not superficial at all. The only other place I've been to that is similarly integrated is Sacramento.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
I've noticed that on city-data in particular, the best, most positive traits of the Bay Area are repeated incessantly, while the worst "stereotypes" of L.A. ("segregated", "not educated", "liquor store owners") are also repeated incessantly.

When the 1992 riots are used as the baseline for any comparison, then yes, L.A. will look like crap. But that was almost 20 years ago.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I've noticed that on city-data in particular, the best, most positive traits of the Bay Area are repeated incessantly, while the worst "stereotypes" of L.A. ("segregated", "not educated", "liquor store owners") are also repeated incessantly.

When the 1992 riots are used as the baseline for any comparison, then yes, L.A. will look like crap. But that was almost 20 years ago.

I'm not using the riots, I'm using the present. For example, point out the gang race war happening in the Bay like what's happening in LA right now between blacks and hispanics... you can't. None of the black people I know in LA would feel comfortable going to East LA because of it... where's that level of racial tension in the Bay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City