Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
SoCal 35 44.30%
Bay Area 44 55.70%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:52 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,746,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticalhippoisskeptical View Post
I'm keeping this post for safekeeping. So a Bay Area booster FINALLY admits NYC is better than the Bay for Asians

This website has to have one of the lowest average reading comprehension levels on the entire internet. It makes me wonder how many people on this website actually graduated high school.

What I actually said was that NYC or LA will probably become the cultural hub for asians in a decade or two, but currently that title belongs to the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 06:40 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
This website has to have one of the lowest average reading comprehension levels on the entire internet. It makes me wonder how many people on this website actually graduated high school.

What I actually said was that NYC or LA will probably become the cultural hub for asians in a decade or two, but currently that title belongs to the Bay Area.
No it depends on which "Asians" you are talking about.

NOBODY would lump Polish people, Italians, and Irish into the same group, and yet those same people have no qualms about lumping Koreans, Chinese, Filipinos, and Vietnamese into the same group.

If you want "Korean power", L.A. is the hub for it. If you want "Indian power", then likely NYC or the Bay Area is it. If you want "Chinese power", then probably it's a 50/50 split LA and SF. If you want "Vietnamese power", you'd split between the OC and Houston.

For such "enlightened" Bay Area residents, I'd think you'd realize that "Asians" can't all be lumped together.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
No it depends on which "Asians" you are talking about.

NOBODY would lump Polish people, Italians, and Irish into the same group, and yet those same people have no qualms about lumping Koreans, Chinese, Filipinos, and Vietnamese into the same group.

If you want "Korean power", L.A. is the hub for it. If you want "Indian power", then likely NYC or the Bay Area is it. If you want "Chinese power", then probably it's a 50/50 split LA and SF. If you want "Vietnamese power", you'd split between the OC and Houston.

For such "enlightened" Bay Area residents, I'd think you'd realize that "Asians" can't all be lumped together.

What are you talking about? White people get lumped together all the time, and especially when it comes to politics, visibility, etc. Nobody is going to look at John McCain and say he's an Irish-American candidate, he's white.

And this thread is not about specifics, its about which one is seen as the cultural hub. Atlanta is called the "black mecca" all the time despite not having a significant Creole or West Indian population. The Bay Area has the most nationally visible asian population by a considerable margin.

And as for your snide final remark, I never claimed that the Bay Area didn't have issues as far as race relations go. It has had and continues to have quite a few. However, out of all the places in the US I've been to I've yet to see an area more wholly integrated than the Bay.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:13 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,756 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? White people get lumped together all the time, and especially when it comes to politics, visibility, etc. Nobody is going to look at John McCain and say he's an Irish-American candidate, he's white.

And this thread is not about specifics, its about which one is seen as the cultural hub. Atlanta is called the "black mecca" all the time despite not having a significant Creole or West Indian population. The Bay Area has the most nationally visible asian population by a considerable margin.

And as for your snide final remark, I never claimed that the Bay Area didn't have issues as far as race relations go. It has had and continues to have quite a few. However, out of all the places in the US I've been to I've yet to see an area more wholly integrated than the Bay.
So you are saying that L.A. is not a "cultural hub" for Koreans, Vietnameses, Thais, Japanese, Chinese, Filipinos, Cambodians, etc?

Except for Chinese, I'd say L.A. is FAR bigger as a hub for EVERY SINGLE ONE of the Asian ethnicities I've mentioned.

But yeah, I guess it's easier to say the Bay Area is an "Asian hub", because when you get down to specifics it loses by quite a large margin if your name does not have a Chinese surname attached to it.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:23 PM

178 posts, read 419,124 times
actually,i think sattle has a larger area than la,with its int district

Old 11-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
So you are saying that L.A. is not a "cultural hub" for Koreans, Vietnameses, Thais, Japanese, Chinese, Filipinos, Cambodians, etc?

Except for Chinese, I'd say L.A. is FAR bigger as a hub for EVERY SINGLE ONE of the Asian ethnicities I've mentioned.

But yeah, I guess it's easier to say the Bay Area is an "Asian hub", because when you get down to specifics it loses by quite a large margin if your name does not have a Chinese surname attached to it.

In what way is Los Angeles more of a cultural hub for Japanese people than the Bay? LA is home to one of three Japantowns in the USA, the other two being in San Francisco and San Jose. Golden Gate Park in San Francisco is home of the oldest Japanese tea garden in the country. Los Angeles does have a better Japanese American museum, but in what specific way is LA a more important cultural hub for Japanese people? Having a bigger population does not make it the better cultural hub.

The same could be said of the Filipino population and the Vietnamese population. LA obviously has the more culturally relevant Korean and Thai populations but the others are very debatable.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:12 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
In what way is Los Angeles more of a cultural hub for Japanese people than the Bay? LA is home to one of three Japantowns in the USA, the other two being in San Francisco and San Jose. Golden Gate Park in San Francisco is home of the oldest Japanese tea garden in the country. Los Angeles does have a better Japanese American museum, but in what specific way is LA a more important cultural hub for Japanese people? Having a bigger population does not make it the better cultural hub.

The same could be said of the Filipino population and the Vietnamese population. LA obviously has the more culturally relevant Korean and Thai populations but the others are very debatable.
I haven't been to the Bay Area but haven't the most prominent Japanese-Americans come from the LA area? How do the Japan Towns in SF and SJ compared to Little Tokyo? Little Tokyo had some great Japanese food.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:21 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I haven't been to the Bay Area but haven't the most prominent Japanese-Americans come from the LA area? How do the Japan Towns in SF and SJ compared to Little Tokyo? Little Tokyo had some great Japanese food.
Honestly, the best answer is "visit it for yourself" because you'll obviously have a different opinion than someone else.

However, don't hold whatever your experiences to LA/NYC as some sort of standard that needs to be broken in order it to match because the Bay Area, SoCal, and the Tri-State Area are three totally different places.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:15 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
No, what goldenchild was driving at is that even at the socioeconomic bottom of the Bay - the part that is rampantly segregated nearly everywhere else in America - its still integrated.
Yeah, I have not found the widespread level of racial integration in the hood areas of the Bay Area anywhere except in parts of LA and South Sacramento.

California in general is extremely diverse like that.

And I do believe that there is greater racial harmony in NorCal. Not perfect, but noticeably better and more mature than SoCal and New York.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:06 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Socal might be less integrated in percentage points, but the sheer demographic weight of Los Angeles makes it a greater hub for Asian culture--integrated or not. You would have to heavily rig what you mean by integration going almost strictly by percentage points to make the Bay Area a greater hub. We are talking about around twice the Asian American population in the Los Angeles metro compared to the Bay Area.

Also, if we're talking about hubs, then segregation can possibly be indicative as a greater hub as then there are entire communities/cities in the Los Angeles metro dominated by specific Asian communities. When we talk about hubs, insularity does not necessarily count against this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City