Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
SoCal 35 44.30%
Bay Area 44 55.70%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times

Advertisements

NYC and particularly Queens is a mecca for many immigrant groups. They get off the plane at JFK, imagine that they have arrived in America and never go any further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 10:08 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I went by the numbers on Wiki, which says the New York Metro has 2 million Asians. After reviewing the article again, I see that they've confused the CSA stat with the Metro stat. The NYC CSA is 22 mil and the MSA is 18 mil. Wiki says the Greater Los Angeles Area is around 18 million and that Asians comprise 10.4 percent of that population. So even if you used the CSA number, I don't see how the Los Angeles CSA has more Asians than the NYC CSA.
your numbers are wrong.

LA CSA: 2.1-2.2 million asians (~12% asian)
SF Bay Area CSA: 1.5-1.6 million asians (~22% asian, which is insane)
NYC CSA: 1.8 million asians (~8% asian)

Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
your numbers are wrong.

LA CSA: 2.1-2.2 million asians (~12% asian)
SF Bay Area CSA: 1.5-1.6 million asians (~22% asian, which is insane)
NYC CSA: 1.8 million asians (~8% asian)
I don't profess Wiki to be the end all-be all with regard to statistical matters, but this is what it says.

New York metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The racial markup was that 61.6% or 13,595,960 were White,16.9% or 3,727,105 were African Americans, 0.5% or 102,349 were American Indian and Alaskan Native, Asians were 9.1% or 2,008,906 overall
You can beef with that number all day. At the very least, by your own admission, the NYC CSA has more Asians than the Bay Area, so how could you say that the Bay Area outpaces NYC "by a healthy margin?"

Old 11-16-2011, 10:31 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
as someone who is asian, has lived in nyc and los angeles (and grew up in the nyc metro, including in some heavily asian areas of queens and nj), has a strong familiarity with all three metros' asian communities, and who has numerous asian friends of various ethnicities in all three regions, there is no question in my mind about this.
Care to elaborate? Because the New York CSA has a larger Asian population than the Bay Area and that population is growing far more quickly.

Quote:
eh, not really. tokyo, seoul, hong kong, beijing, etc. feel much different than any american city, nyc included.
That's obvious. I don't think that's what he meant. I think he means that New York's Asian neighborhoods are the closest you'll get to an Asian city in the United States. Sorta how Flatbush Avenue is the closest you'll get to feeling like you're in the West Indies in the United States (yes, even more so than Miami). I don't think anyone would take that to mean that Brooklyn feels exactly the same as Port-au-Spain, Trinidad.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I don't profess Wiki to be the end all-be all with regard to statistical matters, but this is what it says.

New York metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
again, your numbers are wrong.

i'm not going to argue statistical facts with you when you're citing incorrect numbers. that's just absurd.

secondly, the raw total of any given population is only one measure of the "asianness" of an area. when you have as high a percentage of asians as the bay area does (roughly double the LA area and almost triple the nyc area), then it HAS to be considered a top contender for the nation's asian mecca.

at the same time, the los angeles area has a much broader representation of the various asian ethnicities compared with nyc despite being relatively weaker when it comes to south asians. there are so many different asian ethnicities whose largest overseas/u.s. population is concentrated in the LA area - more than the other two regions. that counts for a lot.

just because a given metro has most total asians doesn't automatically make it the "mecca" - you have to consider the sheer variety of different peoples/cultures, the number and scope of large ethnic enclaves (especially ones that are the largest in the country, as is the case for so many asian groups in los angeles), food, culture, media representation, immersion in local politics and the greater society at large, etc.

the bay area and the LA area are waaaaay ahead of the curve compared with anywhere in the continental u.s. (nyc included) when it comes to asian-american social/political/community/identity issues.

thirdly, have you spent significant time in los angeles and the bay area? it seems like you just took one stat on wikipedia (which you misinterpreted, btw) and now are trying to make a dubious argument based on that lone figure.

it's really incomprehensible how people could argue something like this. anyone who's familiar with the three metros knows that nyc, while certainly the third most notable area for asians in the continental u.s., isn't on the level of the bay area and the LA area in this regard.

Last edited by pbergen; 11-16-2011 at 10:46 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 10:38 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
I can't wait until pollster sees this thread!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Care to elaborate? Because the New York CSA has a larger Asian population than the Bay Area and that population is growing far more quickly.
see my reply to your previous post.

Quote:
That's obvious. I don't think that's what he meant. I think he means that New York's Asian neighborhoods are the closest you'll get to an Asian city in the United States. Sorta how Flatbush Avenue is the closest you'll get to feeling like you're in the West Indies in the United States (yes, even more so than Miami). I don't think anyone would take that to mean that Brooklyn feels exactly the same as Port-au-Spain, Trinidad.
i know exactly what he meant. and his statement simply isn't true.

to suggest that nyc's asian neighborhoods are the closest you'll get to an asian city in the u.s. is an extremely dubious statement, and makes me wonder how familiar you are with these cities. i've been to seoul, tokyo, hong kong, beijing, shanghai, taipei, and bangkok, and believe me, none of them are even remotely like anything in nyc. they're just not.

how many of these cities have you visited? do you have family and close friends like i do in these cities who've shown me around the non-touristy/local spots?

again, i think you just saw one stat on wikipedia (which you misinterpreted!) and are now trying to run with that.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I can't wait until pollster sees this thread!
lol

didn't he get banned a couple of months ago? what's his new username?

Old 11-16-2011, 10:45 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
lol

didn't he get banned a couple of months ago? what's his new username?
Who knows..he's come back with so many usernames that it's hard to keep track of.

Yes, NYC is the best..there, that made a huge difference in my life

Old 11-16-2011, 10:45 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:

Subjectivity more so than fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City