Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the hub for Asian culture in the US: Tri-State Area, SoCal or the Bay Area?
Tri-State Area 31 22.63%
SoCal 42 30.66%
Bay Area 64 46.72%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:09 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times

Advertisements

Also I would like to add that I would hope nyc would have more Asians than any other city considering its the largest city with twice as much people as its next most populous city, it would be pitiful if it didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 02:08 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
I voted the Bay because I believe it's the place that it is most felt. My first time in SoCal, I was amazed by the number of Asians and Mexicans, because my 90s cinema & TV told me it was all Blacks and Whites. I felt like they were actually the minority.

Yes, NYC/Tri-State has a lot of Asians, epecially Western Asians/Middle Easterns, but it just feels like just another ethnic group in a cornocopia (sp?) of ethnicities. Outside of the enclaves, no single ethnicity stands out.

In the Bay area, I feel, the Asian presence is dominant and felt everywhere, not just in Chinatown.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:47 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
I must say its very funny to read the posters minimizing the Asian culture in Southern California since it has the largest Asian community in the US.

In the LA/OC area, you have the largest Filipino, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian, and Malay communities in the United States. Evidence of this culture is all around. From Koreatown on Vermont, to Thaitown on Hollywood Blvd, to Little Saigon in Westminster and Garden Grove, its impossible not to notice. There is no particular "Fillipinotown" but in cities like Carson and West Covina, its unmistakable. In Torrance, my schools were all around one third Asian. The only East Asian culture that would be bigger in other cities would be the Chinese in San Fran and NYC.

What the LA area does lack is a more significant South Asian community. There is a little India in Cerritos, but its nothing compared to the communities in San Jose or the Tri-State area. Even where I live now in Texas the Indian community is a lot more visible than it was in LA.

All in all, its hard to top the East Asian diversity in the LA area and I dont think that San Francisco or New York do. New York is tops for South Asian diversity and San Francisco is more balanced than LA between South Asian and East Asian.

I still voted LA.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:18 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,634 times
China's current Vice President (Xi Jinping) is currently visiting the U.S. Of course, he is visiting Washington, D.C. But he will also stop in California (not New York) before he returns to China. He knows where the hub of Asian/Asian-American culture is in the U.S.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:11 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
China's current Vice President (Xi Jinping) is currently visiting the U.S. Of course, he is visiting Washington, D.C. But he will also stop in California (not New York) before he returns to China. He knows where the hub of Asian/Asian-American culture is in the U.S.
Good point. And our mayor spend a week there earlier in the year. The Chinese might even help finance our subway since our federal government (cough, house of representatives, cough) can't get anything worthwhile done.

http://thesource.metro.net/2012/01/2...-fast-forward/

Old 02-15-2012, 05:02 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Right, there are far more asians in California than the tri-state area. Thats just the facts.
Jeremy Lins hometown is in the Bay Area too...

Old 02-15-2012, 05:04 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times

Old 02-15-2012, 05:07 PM

Wanna know why the can't tri-state area can't produce any home-grown Asian-American NBA ballers?

Racism.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:12 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaIsRacist View Post
Yeah, but he wasnt allowed to play ball there, so now he's ours.

New York City: 1 million Asians
SF: 265,000
LA: 411,000

Yeah

Why can't California produce any?

Nope. And I dont like your new name.....

5 million asians in California, more than the east coast combined. Case closed.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaIsRacist View Post

Why can't California produce any?
Jeremy Lin. Ergo, the Tri State area is racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City