Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the hub for Asian culture in the US: Tri-State Area, SoCal or the Bay Area?
Tri-State Area 31 22.63%
SoCal 42 30.66%
Bay Area 64 46.72%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 12:46 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I actually do respect you as a poster. Now,

Side rant: I can't stand it when people go "____ much." Like, "extrapolate much?" "Passive aggressive much?" etc. Grammatically incorrect, smug, unfunny, tired, droll, etc.

Anyways...

And NYC has one of the US' oldest Chinatowns (just a few years after SF and Oakland).

Despite these facts, side by side: Texas is not the hub of black culture in the US. New York is not the hub of Asian culture in the US.

Awesome but largely irrelevant to this particular discussion.

As stated above: Texas is not the hub of black culture in the US. New York is not the hub of Asian culture in the US.

Again, irrelevant.

Texas is not the hub of black culture in the US. New York is not the hub of Asian culture in the US.

Sorry, you are not an end all be all on "black culture". I don't even think you are aware how much of a % blacks have been in Texas, historically.

So please spare us your opinions of what is relevant and is not, because you clearly have no clue.

And trying to compare the thousands and thousands of blacks who were slaves and lived in Texas to a tiny neighborhood Chinatown is a pretty poor analogy. I was just trying to help your silly ass out.

Quote:
The first United States census was taken in 1850, when the Texas population comprised 154,034 whites, 397 free Negroes, and 58,161 slaves

CENSUS AND CENSUS RECORDS | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)

Anyone who can read, can find out that Texas has had one of the largest black populations in the United States for quite sometime. I'd call that a "hub" and part of a pretty solid nexus.

http://www.ncsociology.org/south.htm

Last edited by LakeShoreSoxGo; 05-25-2012 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 01:37 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana]Sorry, you are not an end all be all on "black culture".
I never said I was, but I am completely and totally right in this situation.

Quote:
I don't even think you are aware how much of a % blacks have been in Texas, historically.
I actually am quite cognizant of the number of black people who have been in Texas historically.

So please spare us your opinions of what is relevant and is not, because you clearly have no clue.

[color=black][font=Verdana]And trying to compare the thousands and thousands of blacks who were slaves and lived in Texas to a tiny neighborhood Chinatown is a pretty poor analogy.[/quote]
No, it's a completely and totally apt analogy.

NYC had many Chinese people in it at a point where the Chinese were not looked fondly upon by much of the United States. Texas had many black people in it at a point where black people were not looked fondly upon by much of America.

Quote:
I was just trying to help your silly ass out.
No you weren't. And now, you're trying to insult me. Chill out.

Cool map. There are a lot higher percentages of black people east of Texas than there are in Texas, which granted is much more populous than the states around it...

Quote:
Anyone who can read, can find out that Texas has had one of the largest black populations in the United States for quite sometime. I'd call that a "hub" and part of a pretty solid nexus.
Over Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi...?

Old 05-25-2012, 02:40 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Out where? Closer to Asia than all the other cities? Yeah I realize Honolulu is much smaller than LA, SF, and NYC but I'd say it's arguably one of the Top 5 Asian cities in America. You can't say the same thing for El Paso with regards to Mexico.

I don't think there even is some sort of central "hub" of Asian culture as SF, NYC, and LA all have a million+ Asians each, none of those three are that dominant over the others really. Just saying Honolu is more dominated Asian culture than any other city and for that reason IS important and worth mentioning.
NYC has more than 1 million Asians within its borders. If NYC Asians were its own city, it would be the 10th largest city in the United States.

That's what you'd call a blowout.

However, judging by the poll results, most people think all three are somewhat equal.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:09 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
NYC has more than 1 million Asians within its borders. If NYC Asians were its own city, it would be the 10th largest city in the United States.

That's what you'd call a blowout.

However, judging by the poll results, most people think all three are somewhat equal.
No one but you is looking at just within city borders. Being that it's a city of 8 million+, that's not really impressive nor a blowout anyways.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:34 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No one but you is looking at just within city borders. Being that it's a city of 8 million+, that's not really impressive nor a blowout anyways.
Even though the vast majority of people in New York City rarely leave New York City for any reason, sure, it's not impressive.

What other 304 square mile area in the United States has 1 million Asian people?

And again, look at the poll results. Like in real life, the Tri-State Area will overtake SoCal really really soon

Old 05-25-2012, 03:49 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Even though the vast majority of people in New York City rarely leave New York City for any reason, sure, it's not impressive.

What other 304 square mile area in the United States has 1 million Asian people?

And again, look at the poll results. Like in real life, the Tri-State Area will overtake SoCal really really soon
Compared to SoCal and the Bay Area, NO, it's not impressive. And again, this thread is about metro areas not just central cities.

That's kind of sad if NYC residents don't ever leave the city but I do remember during a summer visit to NYC and all these people waiting on the sidewalk in Midtown Manhattan with their bags waiting for buses to take them out to the Hamptons.

Again funny how in another thread about CA you were degrading it for all of its Asian immigration but of course now you are praising the Tri-State area for it's Asian immigration. More DOUBLE STANDARDS as usual! Careful, by your logic in that other thread, soon they will taking over and there will be no Whites and Blacks left!

And again, get off C-D,it's not anything close to real life.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:08 PM

484 posts, read 871,188 times
I don't see how anyone who has been to, or lived in, or has first-hand knowledge of all three of these areas, or anywhere else in the US for that matter, can come away thinking the hub for Asian culture is anywhere but the Bay Area or the LA area?

Old 05-25-2012, 04:43 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
Quote:
Over Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi...?
Texas has more black people than any of these states

Quote:
NYC had many Chinese people in it at a point where the Chinese were not looked fondly upon by much of the United States. Texas had many black people in it at a point where black people were not looked fondly upon by much of America.
NYC and NY state's Chinese population was a small fraction of the general population in 1850. Blacks made up 20-25% of Texas's population, by 1850.

Quote:
I never said I was, but I am completely and totally right in this situation.
No you aren't, in fact blacks make up LESS of the population in Texas when compared to 1850. So it is more like you have no clue what you are talking about.

Just because you have a particular fondness for some groups, does not make you an expert on racial diaspora in this country. Just stop typing.

Last edited by LakeShoreSoxGo; 05-25-2012 at 05:23 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 05:23 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
There is no such thing as "Asian Culture". There is Korean culture. And Chinese culture. And Indian culture. Etc.

Hope that helps.
Yes, at that point... the OP should've wrote "Pan Asian Culture".

Old 07-15-2012, 08:06 PM

313 posts, read 354,420 times
I have a lot of asian friends, a few im pretty close with. They all say its California. SoCal and the Bay Area, and having been to both, and being from NY, I agree.

Its also closer to Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City