Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the hub for Asian culture in the US: Tri-State Area, SoCal or the Bay Area?
Tri-State Area 31 22.63%
SoCal 42 30.66%
Bay Area 64 46.72%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:31 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Vietnamese Population, 2010 1 Year Estimate, US Census Bureau
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside 317,238
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland 189,758
Houston-Baytown-Huntsville 111,230
Dallas-Ft Worth 73,105
Washington-Baltimore-Northern VA 67,310
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville 46,258
Boston-Worcester-Manchester 45,359
New York-Newark-Bridgeport 38,710
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland 34,304
Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City 25,034
Detroit-Warren-Flint 6,798
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 09:04 AM

637 posts, read 1,014,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post

Doesn't matter anymore, its 2012 and the entire country is becoming more diverse. Asians are the largest immigration group into the US now for the first time surpassing Latinos and they aren't just settling in California but the other 49 as well, especially the states with already established immigration gateways like New York, Florida, Texas, Illinois, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Georgia, or North Carolina.
Exactly, that's what a lot of the California posters are missing.

Asians are almost everywhere in the United States now, so no longer does California has a monopoly on Asian people anymore. When it comes to South Asians, its barely in the vocabulary. I feel like nearly every Californian I meet doesn't even know that India and Pakistan are part of the Asian continent, even though South Asia has more people than East Asia.

Geography is great, being closer to EAST Asia is great, but what does that have to do with anything in an age of JET TRAVEL, you know those big flying metal birds in the sky.

I'm willing to accept the fact that LA is more of an Asian hub than the Tri-State Area, but I feel like that's not going to hold on for very long given that the Asian population in the Tri-State area is growing much much faster.

Anyways, how does the Bay Area have more votes than BOTH LA and NYC. It makes no sense at all.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:30 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Vietnamese Population, 2010 1 Year Estimate, US Census Bureau
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside 317,238
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland 189,758
Houston-Baytown-Huntsville 111,230
Dallas-Ft Worth 73,105
Washington-Baltimore-Northern VA 67,310
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville 46,258
Boston-Worcester-Manchester 45,359
New York-Newark-Bridgeport 38,710
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland 34,304
Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City 25,034
Detroit-Warren-Flint 6,798
Interesting... I guess I overestimated Houston's Vietnamese population because my college roommate was Vietnamese and from Houston. They have a very thriving Vietnamese population there.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:59 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Exactly, that's what a lot of the California posters are missing.

Asians are almost everywhere in the United States now, so no longer does California has a monopoly on Asian people anymore. When it comes to South Asians, its barely in the vocabulary. I feel like nearly every Californian I meet doesn't even know that India and Pakistan are part of the Asian continent, even though South Asia has more people than East Asia.

Geography is great, being closer to EAST Asia is great, but what does that have to do with anything in an age of JET TRAVEL, you know those big flying metal birds in the sky.

I'm willing to accept the fact that LA is more of an Asian hub than the Tri-State Area, but I feel like that's not going to hold on for very long given that the Asian population in the Tri-State area is growing much much faster.

Anyways, how does the Bay Area have more votes than BOTH LA and NYC. It makes no sense at all.
In the age of jet travel for East and Southeast Asian countries, the West Coast has up to six fewer hours extra on a plane with a smaller chance of a layover as well, and several hundred dollars less per person per trip. It's actually really noticeable if you do frequent trips. It also means greater shipping costs for goods made in East Asia when it comes to people in the import/export business. There's also the complete am/pm shift that happens on the East Coast which is difficult.

Also, while Asians are now numerous across the US in different metros, it still does have two of three largest concentrations of Asians and overall (and there are also a lot of Asians in other California metros) and both the Bay Area and LA often have the largest or second largest concentration of _____ people or _____ people, so it's kind of obvious why both areas are often mentioned. Beyond that, there's also the fact that those communities have been around longer than in other cities so have developed to some extent a much more accessible Asian-American culture rather than the less accessible newly immigrated communities. Additionally, you have both metros having been jumping off points for a lot of Asians into other metros with the Bay Area and LA acting almost like an initial home base (which is also made more apparent by the cultural and economic institutions that are still based in the Bay Area or LA such as community-specific banks, regional headquarter branches of regional companies, various festivals of different types, domestic ethnic food manufacturing companies, etc.).

Also, I'm Asian and speak a few Asian languages. Does that help?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-18-2012 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
In the age of jet travel for East and Southeast Asian countries, the West Coast has up to six fewer hours extra on a plane with a smaller chance of a layover as well, and several hundred dollars less per person per trip. It's actually really noticeable if you do frequent trips. It also means greater shipping costs for goods made in East Asia when it comes to people in the import/export business. There's also the complete am/pm shift that happens on the East Coast which is difficult.

Also, while Asians are now numerous across the US in different metros, it still does have two of three largest concentrations of Asians and overall (and there are also a lot of Asians in other California metros) and both the Bay Area and LA often have the largest or second largest concentration of _____ people or _____ people, so it's kind of obvious why both areas are often mentioned. Beyond that, there's also the fact that those communities have been around longer than in other cities so have developed to some extent a much more accessible Asian-American culture rather than the less accessible newly immigrated communities. Additionally, you have both metros having been jumping off points for a lot of Asians into other metros with the Bay Area and LA acting almost like an initial home base (which is also made more apparent by the cultural and economic institutions that are still based in the Bay Area or LA such as community-specific banks, regional headquarter branches of regional companies, various festivals of different types, domestic ethnic food manufacturing companies, etc.).

Also, I'm Asian and speak a few Asian languages. Does that help?
Not really because it really doesn't explain why NYC, which is apparently SO far from Asia, has 2 million Asian people. Why does Toronto have such a huge Asian population, moreso than Vancouver, if its "so far to fly to?"

Why don't those 2 million Asian people live in California? And that number includes over 1.3 million East and Southeast Asians?

Also, you keep talking about East and Southeast Asians, but what about South Asians?

Mileage Calculator - WebFlyer :: The Frequent Flyer Authority

From Mumbai to NYC, its 7780 miles
From Mumbai to SF, its 8390 miles
From Mumbai to LA, its a whopping 8690 miles

Doesn't that make NYC even more special because since its "so far' from East and Southeast Asia (but somewhat nearer to South Asia), people are willing to travel so far to live there? Doesn't that make it even MORE of a hub since people are willing to do more just to live there?

And from looking at immigration statistics, there are even more people immigrating to New York State ALONE from China than all of California.

DHS | Profiles on Legal Permanent Residents: 2011

New York State: 27,358
California: 23,117

Not to mention the numbers going to CT (734) and NJ (2,503)

Yup, looks like we're going to be crowning a new Asian hub very very soon.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:55 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Not really because it really doesn't explain why NYC, which is apparently SO far from Asia, has 2 million Asian people. Why does Toronto have such a huge Asian population, moreso than Vancouver, if its "so far to fly to?"

Why don't those 2 million Asian people live in California? And that number includes over 1.3 million East and Southeast Asians?

Also, you keep talking about East and Southeast Asians, but what about South Asians?

Doesn't that make NYC even more special because since its "so far' from East and Southeast Asia (but somewhat nearer to South Asia), people are willing to travel so far to live there? Doesn't that make it even MORE of a hub since people are willing to do more just to live there?

And from looking at immigration statistics, there are even more people immigrating to New York State ALONE from China than all of California.

Yet another absurd supposition.

lol

Asia has half the world's population. It stands to reason that they are going to be spread out in massive numbers everywhere in the developed world, especially ex-british colonial countries like the US, Canada and Australia.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:02 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:

What about South Asians? They certainly live and exist--I was talking about why the California metros have a bunch of Southeast and East Asians. I am not South Asian. I don't see myself as part of the South Asian community. Also, the Bay Area and LA have a lot of South Asians, but I wouldn't call them the main hub for those communities.

NYC and Toronto are great cities with very strong economies--that's basically it, isn't it? Big cities with big economies are going to attract immigrants. The question for you would be, why did such a small city such as Vancouver attract such a large number of immigrants from East Asia (especially Hong Kong)?

You are asking what the difference is and the advantages are, and those advantages are still there. I grew up splitting my time between southern california and various cities in east asia, and now live in NYC. NYC is already an Asian hub just as the Bay Area and socal are as well (though more established).

Old 07-18-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yet another absurd supposition.

lol

Asia has half the world's population. It stands to reason that they are going to be spread out in massive numbers everywhere in the developed world, especially ex-british colonial countries like the US< Canada and Australia.
What's absurd with what I said?

That there are more Chinese immigrating to the Tri-State Area than California as a whole?
That it's nearer to fly to NYC from most of South Asia than it is to fly anywhere to California?
That there is even an Indian person in the Bay Area who feels racially discriminated against?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...me-better.html

Nothing absurd about that.

Quote:
What about South Asians? They certainly live and exist--I was talking about why the California metros have a bunch of Southeast and East Asians. I am not South Asian. I don't see myself as part of the South Asian community. Also, the Bay Area and LA have a lot of South Asians, but I wouldn't call them the main hub for those communities.
But you said you were Asian. South Asia is part of Asia. Unless the continents shifted again and South Asia lost a billion people, they have to be included in the conversation when it comes to being the Asian "hub"

The Bay Area and LA in comparison to the Tri-State Area is an absolute JOKE when it comes to South Asians. Refer to the thread I linked to above. The Bay Area doesn't even have 300,000 South Asians and LA barely has more than 200,000, unlike the Tri-State Area's more than 800,000 members.

Quote:
NYC and Toronto are great cities with very strong economies--that's basically it, isn't it? Big cities with big economies are going to attract immigrants. The question for you would be, why did such a small city such as Vancouver attract such a large number of immigrants from East Asia (especially Hong Kong)?
It doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is that due to jet travel, NYC and Toronto have now usurped the title of having more complete Asian hubs than anything on the West Coast. Given the geographic advantage of the West Coast, there is something to be said about that.

More Asians are immigrating to NYC and Toronto than SF, LA, and Vancouver combined. So obviously, geography almost plays very little role in this. Neither does the price of a plane ticket, which I looked up, and its really not that much more for a one-way trip.

Quote:
You are asking what the difference is and the advantages are, and those advantages are still there. I grew up splitting my time between southern california and various cities in east asia, and now live in NYC. NYC is already an Asian hub just as the Bay Area and socal are as well (though more established).
NYC may have been a co-hub along with the Bay Area and SoCal 10 years ago, but nowadays, I'd argue its much further ahead for the reasons I have already stated.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,904 times
Quote:
Quote:
NYC may have been a co-hub along with the Bay Area and SoCal 10 years ago, but nowadays, I'd argue its much further ahead for the reasons I have already stated
You keep changing what you are saying. (And you said these two things within hours of each other.)

Old 07-18-2012, 11:19 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
You keep changing what you are saying. (And you said these two things within hours of each other.)
NYC just surpassed LA in "Asianess" at approximately 12:17 this afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City