Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the hub for Asian culture in the US: Tri-State Area, SoCal or the Bay Area?
Tri-State Area 31 22.63%
SoCal 42 30.66%
Bay Area 64 46.72%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:22 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
What's absurd with what I said?

That there are more Chinese immigrating to the Tri-State Area than California as a whole?
That it's nearer to fly to NYC from most of South Asia than it is to fly anywhere to California?
That there is even an Indian person in the Bay Area who feels racially discriminated against?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...me-better.html

Nothing absurd about that.

But you said you were Asian. South Asia is part of Asia. Unless the continents shifted again and South Asia lost a billion people, they have to be included in the conversation when it comes to being the Asian "hub"

The Bay Area and LA in comparison to the Tri-State Area is an absolute JOKE when it comes to South Asians. Refer to the thread I linked to above. The Bay Area doesn't even have 300,000 South Asians and LA barely has more than 200,000, unlike the Tri-State Area's more than 800,000 members.

It doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is that due to jet travel, NYC and Toronto have now usurped the title of having more complete Asian hubs than anything on the West Coast. Given the geographic advantage of the West Coast, there is something to be said about that.

More Asians are immigrating to NYC and Toronto than SF, LA, and Vancouver combined. So obviously, geography almost plays very little role in this. Neither does the price of a plane ticket, which I looked up, and its really not that much more for a one-way trip.

NYC may have been a co-hub along with the Bay Area and SoCal 10 years ago, but nowadays, I'd argue its much further ahead for the reasons I have already stated.
Where's this strawman coming from? Did I claim South Asians weren't Asian or that the Bay Area and LA were the biggest for South Asians? Did anyone really do so? Does that take away from the fact that both the Bay Area and LA have huge numbers of Asians overall and East and Southeast Asians in particular? You sound kind of deranged with your pouncing.

They are all about at the same level now. There is something to be said about the large Asian communities (by raw numbers or percentages) in the other California metros and also how there is a pretty high amount of travel and interconnectedness between them which might be argued to be put on top, but its effects are hard to quantify.

However, the probably biggest change in the landscape isn't that the three are large hubs--the big change is that there are a lot of other smaller hubs growing nearly everywhere these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 11:30 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanyankee View Post
nyc just surpassed la in "asianess" at approximately 12:17 this afternoon.
lol.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:31 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There is something to be said about the large Asian communities (by raw numbers or percentages) in the other California metros and also how there is a pretty high amount of travel and interconnectedness between them which might be argued to be put on top, but its effects are hard to quantify.
How is this relevant in a thread about Metro areas, though? That's like arguing that Atlanta is even more of a black hub than NYC because it's surrounded by Augusta, Greenville, Columbus, Birmingham, Montgomery, and Savannah, all cities with large black populations. I don't think that fact makes Atlanta feel like any more of a black "hub" than any other metro with a large black population (I think Atlanta gets that title based on its black population alone).

Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How is this relevant in a thread about Metro areas, though? That's like arguing that Atlanta is even more of a black hub than NYC because it's surrounded by Augusta, Greenville, Columbus, Birmingham, Montgomery, and Savannah, all cities with large black populations. I don't think that fact makes Atlanta feel like any more of a black "hub" than any other metro with a large black population (I think Atlanta gets that title based on its black population alone).
That's why I said it's hard to quantify. The relevancy is that though the contact is more nebulous, there's still a lot of exchange between metros and often with the larger metro serving as an extended hub. Someone out in the SD area or in Sacramento might not head out to LA/the Bay Area all that often, but for certain events or to visit family it does happen much more so than if they were a thousand mile away. Growing up in socal meant dozens of trips to the Bay Area for me as well as Vegas (which had a fairly small Asian population back then, but has gotten significantly bigger) along with some trips to SD. A lot of the kids who grew up there ended up going to schools in other parts of California and coming back home fairly often. What ends up happening is a very large extended network for Asian-Americans built in California that is strongly cohesive. Friends living in different parts of California still go back home often or transfer from one California branch to another.

Also, I'd buy the argument of Atlanta's status as an African-American hub is partly as a central city to a broader region.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-18-2012 at 12:42 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
That's why I said it's hard to quantify. The relevancy is that though the contact is more nebulous, there's still a lot of exchange between metros and often with the larger metro serving as an extended hub. Someone out in the SD area or in Sacramento might not head out to LA/the Bay Area all that often, but for certain events or to visit family it does happen much more so than if they were a thousand mile away. Growing up in socal meant dozens of trips to the Bay Area for me as well as Vegas (which had a fairly small Asian population back then, but has gotten significantly bigger) along with some trips to SD. A lot of the kids who grew up there ended up going to schools in other parts of California and coming back home fairly often. What ends up happening is a very large extended network for Asian-Americans built in California that is strongly cohesive. Friends living in different parts of California still go back home often or transfer from one California branch to another.
I don't think Philly's black population would be relevant in a "What City is the Hub for Black Culture" thread when discussing NYC. And those two cities are far closer together than the Bay Area and SoCal. In fact, if you look at the thread (which is still fairly active), you don't see anyone making that argument. Philadelphia, while only a 2 hour drive from the City, has very little bearing on anything that goes on in NYC (and vice versa). So I fail to see how the Asian population in San Francisco comes into play when talking about the Asian population in Los Angeles.

Quote:
Also, I'd buy the argument of Atlanta's status as an African-American hub is partly as a central city to a broader region.
I wouldn't. Atlanta is 2 hours from Birmingham and 4 hours from Charlotte. It's not like black people living in Atlanta feel that the black population in Birmingham enhances its cultural status as a black mecca in any type of way. When people make the argument for Atlanta being a black cultural mecca, they'll refer to its black colleges, black millionaires, black media, etc. They're not going to bring up the successful blacks in the financial industry in Charlotte to bolster their argument. And they're not going to talk about students shuttling back and forth between Raleigh and Atlanta.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 07-18-2012 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I don't think Philly's black population would be relevant in a "What City is the Hub for Black Culture" thread when discussing NYC. And those two cities are far closer together than the Bay Area and SoCal. In fact, if you look at the thread (which is still fairly active), you don't see anyone making that argument. Philadelphia, while only a 2 hour drive from the City, has very little bearing on anything that goes on in NYC (and vice versa). So I fail to see how the Asian population in San Francisco comes into play when talking about the Asian population in Los Angeles.

I wouldn't. Atlanta is 2 hours from Birmingham and 4 hours from Charlotte. It's not like black people living in Atlanta feel that the black population in Birmingham enhances its cultural status as a black mecca in any type of way. When people make the argument for Atlanta being a black cultural mecca, they'll refer to its black colleges, black millionaires, black media, etc. They're not going to bring up the successful blacks in the financial industry in Charlotte to bolster their argument. And they're not going to talk about students shuttling back and forth between Raleigh and Atlanta.
Not just the Bay Area, but also SD, Sacramento, and other smaller ones in-between. This is just my experience growing up there--fairly frequent trips and visits from places that were not Los Angeles, but within California. This actually increased as far as I know during and after college (I haven't lived in California since then but visit frequently) with a lot of people having gone to college within California (the UC system has a hugely disproportionate number of Asians) and then finding jobs in California and now forming pretty large professional and familial networks all around California. There's definitely a pretty high level of fluidity, but again, it's hard to quantify its effects.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Not just the Bay Area, but also SD, Sacramento, and other smaller ones in-between. This is just my experience growing up there--fairly frequent trips and visits from places that were not Los Angeles, but within California. This actually increased as far as I know during and after college (I haven't lived in California since then but visit frequently) with a lot of people having gone to college within California (the UC system has a hugely disproportionate number of Asians) and then finding jobs in California and now forming pretty large professional and familial networks all around California. There's definitely a pretty high level of fluidity, but again, it's hard to quantify its effects.
I hear what you're saying, but I still think the two populations are wholly discrete. I mean, there are more blacks between Washington, DC and New York City than there are Asians in the entire state of California (2 million in DC/B-more, 1.2 million in Philly, 3.7 million in NYC). Given the proximity and ease of travel among these different metros, you'd have to say that the interconnections would have to be significantly greater than the ones that exist among metros that are several hours apart (LA and SF are about 7 hours apart, right?). Yet nobody would ever say that the proximity of NYC's nearly 4 million blacks somehow enhances DC's status as a black cultural mecca. For all intents and purposes, one population really has no effect on the other.

I mean, in your mind, does Baltimore get a boost in the "Capital of Black America" thread due to its proximity to Washington, DC? Would Philly also get a similar boost since it's only two hours away from the "Chocolate City?"

Last edited by BajanYankee; 07-18-2012 at 02:30 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I hear what you're saying, but I still think the two populations are wholly discrete. I mean, there are more blacks between Washington, DC and New York City than there are Asians in the entire state of California (2 million in DC/B-more, 1.2 million in Philly, 3.7 million in NYC). Given the proximity and ease of travel among these different metros, you'd have to say that the interconnections would have to be significantly greater than the ones that exist among metros that are several hours apart (LA and SF are about 7 hours apart, right?). Yet nobody would ever say that the proximity of NYC's nearly 4 million blacks somehow enhances DC's status as a black cultural mecca.
I understand that. I assume that you're part of the African-American community on the East Coast, yea? If so, did you have a lot of friends and family traveling between the various cities? There might be some differences stemming from how newly established most Asian communities--and mostly done in an era of fairly cheap transportation. Also, I think the California public university system (especially the University of California system) has played a huge role in catalyzing all of this--I assume a bit like how HBCUs work for the black community, but all concentrated within a single state and with enticements like lower tuition and higher admission rates for California residents. It's kind of a funny phenomenon to me (I'm pretty much one of the first of the generation where there was a noticeable plurality of Asians in the UCs) though I wonder how long the UCs will function as such if the tuition differences between UCs and colleges elsewhere become minimal.

Anyhow, it's all California and it is thought of as one entity in some ways whereas it seems to me the East Coast or just the Northeast alone is far more fragmented.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I understand that. I assume that you're part of the African-American community on the East Coast, yea? If so, did you have a lot of friends and family traveling between the various cities? There might be some differences stemming from how newly established most Asian communities--and mostly done in an era of fairly cheap transportation. Also, I think the California public university system has played a huge role in catalyzing all of this--I assume a bit like how HBCUs work for the black community, but all concentrated within a single state and with enticements like lower tuition and higher admission rates for California residents. It's kind of a funny phenomenon to me (I'm pretty much one of the first of the generation where there was a noticeable plurality of Asians in the UCs).
I consider myself black, but I can relate to the "newly established communities" part because I'm also West Indian. Although West Indians have been in the States for a long time, the population really didn't explode until the 70s and 80s. There is a lot of travel between NYC and Philly, but I see the NYC and Philly West Indian populations as being completely different.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:45 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,895 times
China builds for us The Future of U.S. Redevelopment Financing: China? - Jobs & Economy - The Atlantic Cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City