Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 08:58 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Indianapolis is really just a blob of anonymous sprawl in the middle of Indiana. I can see why Chicagoans are not interested.
The same look prevails in Naperville, Des Plaines, Orland Park and Blue Island, at a minimum. When one flies into ORD, except for the skyscraper action and some neighborhoods on the North Shore, there is a lot of vapid territory out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 09:00 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,885,526 times
I think it may be safe to say that most people who live in any region 4,000,000+ is not going to think much about cities over 2 hours away. Unless someone constantly brings it up of course. There are some exceptions though.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:15 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Indianapolis is really just a blob of anonymous sprawl in the middle of Indiana. I can see why Chicagoans are not interested.
And i wonder why Indy tried to get CME group here.
Again this inferiority idea that Chicago is all midwest and there is nothing else will eventually lead to its fall.
Just like Detroit did with its corruption and thinking the Car is king and will never die.
Nothing last forever.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:29 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
And i wonder why Indy tried to get CME group here.
Again this inferiority idea that Chicago is all midwest and there is nothing else will eventually lead to its fall.
Just like Detroit did with its corruption and thinking the Car is king and will never die.
Nothing last forever.
Again, really? You're talking like Chicago is a person, not a city. I think some perspective is needed here - please stop talking as if Chicago (the person) will fail, and Indianapolis (the hero) will be there to take its place. Is it only me that finds some of this thinking kind of weird?

Old 04-14-2012, 10:39 PM

13 posts, read 24,743 times
I grew up in Indianapolis and visited Chicago a lot. I've never heard of Chicagoans disliking Indianapolis. Outside of Indiana, I honestly don't think Indianapolis is on anyones radar. Unfortunately, most people don't know enough about Indianapolis to have any sort of opinion of it, Chicagoans included. I think Indy residents who feel disliked may be confusing a lack of interest in Indianapolis with dislike/hatred. Similarly, I'm sure people in small towns in Indiana feel the same way towards all of the Indy residents who have no interest in their towns too.

And to the person who said it's a blob of anonymous sprawl, you're completely wrong. Indianapolis is a great town. The city has a cool downtown that continues to only get better, and people in Indy are for the most part genuinely nice and hospitable. I always enjoy going back for visits, and I had a great upbringing there. Sure, it's not some famous tourist magnet, but who cares. One of the good things about living in Indianapolis is being able to enjoy all that the city offers without having swaths of tourists hogging all of the amenities!

One more thing. Although some of the Indy people on this thread are pretty obnoxious in their hatred for Chicago, most people in Indianapolis aren't like that and actually like Chicago. It's pretty common for Indy residents to head up to Chicago a few or several times a year to shop, attend concerts, visit family/friends, see a musical/play, or just to hang out in the big city. Many people like being able to live a comfortable and stress-free life in Indy, while still having nearby access to Chicago for the occasional big city fix. It's a win-win situation for Indy residents.

Last edited by fierymustache; 04-14-2012 at 10:51 PM..

Old 04-14-2012, 10:39 PM

161 posts, read 211,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The same look prevails in Naperville, Des Plaines, Orland Park and Blue Island, at a minimum. When one flies into ORD, except for the skyscraper action and some neighborhoods on the North Shore, there is a lot of vapid territory out there.
Your post shows a complete lack of knowledge about Chicago and Chicagoland.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:22 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,400,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Again, really? You're talking like Chicago is a person, not a city. I think some perspective is needed here - please stop talking as if Chicago (the person) will fail, and Indianapolis (the hero) will be there to take its place. Is it only me that finds some of this thinking kind of weird?
I agree...and I think it is preposterous to think the CME would ever move to Indianapolis.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:43 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,213,679 times
Lets get this straight chicago does not care about indianapolis!!!!!!!!!!!!now this thread should be closed.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierymustache View Post
I grew up in Indianapolis and visited Chicago a lot. I've never heard of Chicagoans disliking Indianapolis. Outside of Indiana, I honestly don't think Indianapolis is on anyones radar. Unfortunately, most people don't know enough about Indianapolis to have any sort of opinion of it, Chicagoans included. I think Indy residents who feel disliked may be confusing a lack of interest in Indianapolis with dislike/hatred. Similarly, I'm sure people in small towns in Indiana feel the same way towards all of the Indy residents who have no interest in their towns too.

And to the person who said it's a blob of anonymous sprawl, you're completely wrong. Indianapolis is a great town. The city has a cool downtown that continues to only get better, and people in Indy are for the most part genuinely nice and hospitable. I always enjoy going back for visits, and I had a great upbringing there. Sure, it's not some famous tourist magnet, but who cares. One of the good things about living in Indianapolis is being able to enjoy all that the city offers without having swaths of tourists hogging all of the amenities!

One more thing. Although some of the Indy people on this thread are pretty obnoxious in their hatred for Chicago, most people in Indianapolis aren't like that and actually like Chicago. It's pretty common for Indy residents to head up to Chicago a few or several times a year to shop, attend concerts, visit family/friends, see a musical/play, or just to hang out in the big city. Many people like being able to live a comfortable and stress-free life in Indy, while still having nearby access to Chicago for the occasional big city fix. It's a win-win situation for Indy residents.
well said.
Totally agree with you

Old 04-15-2012, 09:17 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,135 times
The bottom line is that most people in Indianapolis like Chicago, while most people in Chicago never think about Indianapolis. With that said, most people I know from Chicago that have been to Indy actually do like it. They don't think it's better or worse than Chicago, because the two cities are entirely incomparable.

A better question would be do Chicago residents prefer Indianapolis, Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincy, etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City