Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 10:22 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
No, this went on before the Super Bowl.
Besides, the Colts officially suck again, so you can't really talk $hit about the Bears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 10:23 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Chicagoans are alone in the Midwest in terms of being a world-class city. I mean, can they have world-class city rivalries with St. Louis, Indy, Metro Detroit, or even Minneapolis/St. Paul? You say "no"? I say "no," too. So, perhaps that's why they gang up on cities like Indianapolis or St. Louis. I have noticed that Chicagolanders tend to look down upon smaller cities in the Midwest.

Chicagoans, however, could legitimately have a rivalry with the other Great Lakes cosmopolitan, financial and educational powerhouses, Toronto and Montreal. I just don't think they care. The Canadians would also have some advantage going in because Chicago's crime rate is the absolute highest among all major world-class cities, even the Brazilian ones but save for maybe Johannesburg.

Away from this, however, they seem to be generally friendly people and I've had good experiences with most Chicagoans I've met; I like the city.

Now, on the West Coast, you have L.A. and S.F., and I would argue Seattle. On the East Coast, there's Boston, NYC, DC, Philadelphia, and Miami, and I would argue Atlanta. In Texas, there's Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth--yes, Texas' largest ARE WORLD-CLASS! In those regions, one city isn't the obvious standout.
People in Minneapolis look down on Chicago. Yeah! Size isn't everything. Texas cities have NOTHING on MANY Midwestern/Northeastern cities. Nothing!

Old 08-03-2012, 10:23 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
I dont see how in the world class rankings Cleveland is so high up. yet Indy isnt.
Indy is VERY well known for the Indy 500. what world class sporting event or any event for that matter does cleveland hold.
Basically if you ask people around the world about Indianapolis the 500 instantly comes to mind.
Whats clevelands signature thing? if you ask people around the world Cleveland does anything come to mind.
if not then these world class rankings need tweaked.
Cleveland is historically, and still is, a much more important and well known city than Indianapolis. Sporting events do not make a city world class. Also, what makes you think that Chicago is bidding for a Super Bowl?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:30 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
I dont see how in the world class rankings Cleveland is so high up. yet Indy isnt.
Indy is VERY well known for the Indy 500. what world class sporting event or any event for that matter does cleveland hold.
Basically if you ask people around the world about Indianapolis the 500 instantly comes to mind.
Whats clevelands signature thing? if you ask people around the world Cleveland does anything come to mind.
if not then these world class rankings need tweaked.
Lol You're apparently not familiar with the criteria used in regards to these rankings. The GaWC rankings are compiled by a small group of not so notable people (IMO), but for whatever reason, it has gained some kind of traction and notoriety on-line. Probably not the greatest, but not a terrible system of rankings either.

But one thing is for sure, which you must understand: the Super Bowl means absolutely nothing in a global sense (maybe as a curiosity piece in which the international community like to peep in on U.S. culture, and most of the world, hell most of America, won't remember which Super Bowl happened where), and that the Indy 500 isn't looked upon much better in terms of importance.

For more info on GaWC, look here: GaWC - Globalization and World Cities

Old 08-03-2012, 10:46 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,843 times
Why should Midwestern cities squabble? We do the same amount of work for half the glory of many other regions. I'm glad that Chicago has such a prestigious reputation, but I don't think it causes any real tension between cities--including Indianapolis. We don't really think of them; they don't think of us. Besides, I would imagine their is a much more active relationship between Milwaukee and Chicago.

Jealousy between American cities is ridiculous...even more so among cities within the same region. I love the Twin Cities, Cincinnati, Detroit, Kansas City, Des Moines, Indy and so on. And I love you too Chicago.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:34 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Besides, the Colts officially suck again, so you can't really talk $hit about the Bears.
well see.
The Colts have Luck so well see if we can win against the bears.
even if we only win one game ill be happy if we win against the bears. makes for a good season to tell Chi-Town to stick it.

thefallenrevenge nice location FYI that made me laugh haha.
Kansasanpolis LOL
i think State capitals should just drop their names and put *State Name Polis*

Old 08-04-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Lol You're apparently not familiar with the criteria used in regards to these rankings. The GaWC rankings are compiled by a small group of not so notable people (IMO), but for whatever reason, it has gained some kind of traction and notoriety on-line. Probably not the greatest, but not a terrible system of rankings either.

But one thing is for sure, which you must understand: the Super Bowl means absolutely nothing in a global sense (maybe as a curiosity piece in which the international community like to peep in on U.S. culture, and most of the world, hell most of America, won't remember which Super Bowl happened where), and that the Indy 500 isn't looked upon much better in terms of importance.

For more info on GaWC, look here: GaWC - Globalization and World Cities
Ah the 500 is more important than your giving credit too.
Maybe ill let Msamhunter enlighten you on the 500

Old 08-04-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Cleveland is historically, and still is, a much more important and well known city than Indianapolis. Sporting events do not make a city world class. Also, what makes you think that Chicago is bidding for a Super Bowl?
News article about Rahm Emaneul.
It was all over the news in Chicago.
so yes i read the Chicago Tribune *Actually one of the very few reliable news outlets in Chi-Town*
Rahm Emanuel was talking about oh how Chicago can host a super bowl to Roger Goodell.
well #1 Chicago isnt compact. The Stadium is far away from downtown. Dallas repeat #1
#2 Chicago has unpredictable winters and the stadium is OUTDOORS Plus Lake Effect snow... oh boy. Dallas kind of Super Bowl but only worse? i think so.
#3 Chicago already has problems handling massive events like this. Why is McCormick convention center so far away from the loop? Super Bowl visitors after Indianapolis atleast want everything compact and right there. They dont want to be shuttled around everywhere.
Hence why Indy scored such great remarks.

But well see im sure the 32 owners would choose Indianapolis over Chicago for a Super Bowl again.
However before any of these 2 cities can bid. Minneapolis and San Fransisco need to get their Super Bowls.

But who says Chicagoans cant make the 3 hour trip to Indianapolis for another Super Bowl? Rahm Emanuel needs to lay down the pot and stop acting like he can get everything he wants.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:44 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
^^ You're not even remotely familiar with the layout of Chicago or its ability to handle massive events (Lollapalooza is happening downtown right now and it's going off without a hitch just like it has for the last several years).

Please don't talk about my city ever again until you have at least a passing familiarity with it. And you probably shouldn't talk about it then either.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:12 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
^^ You're not even remotely familiar with the layout of Chicago or its ability to handle massive events (Lollapalooza is happening downtown right now and it's going off without a hitch just like it has for the last several years).

Please don't talk about my city ever again until you have at least a passing familiarity with it. And you probably shouldn't talk about it then either.
Chi is good at hosting events BUT what it is not good at is relinquishing control to outsiders namely in this instance the nfl. Cities like n.o. and indy work because event organizers get a lot of control and flexibility. Anywhoo the spaceship known as soldier field is now the smallest nfl venue (never quite got why they would renovate and purposely make it smaller). Alsi the turf is the worst and come sb time will be tore up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City