Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or New Orleans
Boston 111 59.68%
New Orleans 75 40.32%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:47 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Though the overall vibe in NOLA is different from Boston. I really like Boston and it is one of my favorite cities in the countyr. To me the biggest draw back is relative to some other large cities it can be a little stuffy and think the nightlife suffers a tab from this relative to others.

NOLA is far more festive in this sense, which isnt always a good thing but is most definately an aspect differentiated in this comparison.
Definatly I agree, in fact commercail establishments in Boston we not allowed to be open til the mid 70's I believe. New Orleans is definatly more festive, and a "party city" for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 07:08 AM

322 posts, read 614,757 times
Boston just seems too bland for me. New Orleans is much more unique

Old 01-05-2012, 01:10 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Cool shots of both cities. You're right about their markets bearing certain similarities. While Boston's is very Colonial, NO's is unmistakably French.

Jackson Square looks really cool too.

Thanks tmac9wr, yes the two layouts do seem similar. I love both cities and plan on revisiting them again. They both of have that unique flavor reflective of the local cultures.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Certain Festivals with permits get exemptions (ex. First Night) also I would not want to party 24/7, and most New Orleanians(?) don't either.

Also Boston has Similar Street closings in DowntownCrossing, and a couple of other streets in the North End.
Just to be fair here's a festival in Boston. I've always wonder why Chinatowns were only common up north and out west. You figure as old as New Orleans is that it could have had it's own Chinatown by now.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:22 PM

Does anyone know if this Borders in downtown Boston still open? I had taken this photo July of last year. It seems like they have closed a lot of stores around the country and gone of business or something.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:25 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Does anyone know if this Borders in downtown Boston still open? I had taken this photo July of last year. It seems like they have closed a lot of stores and gone of business or something.

Am pretty sure all borders are now closed. Just was reading that a few urban B&Ns are in jeopardy (Including one in Manhattan). Tough times in the book business

The former Borders in Philly is being converted into a Walgreens - Some urban Walgreens or something; think I would have preferred the book store but if people dont buy what are you gonna do

Cool pics of both places earlier BTW

Old 01-05-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Am pretty sure all borders are now closed. Just was reading that a few urban B&Ns are in jeopardy (Including one in Manhattan). Tough times in the book business

The former Borders in Philly is being converted into a Walgreens - Some urban Walgreens or something; think I would have preferred the book store but if people dont buy what are you gonna do

Cool pics of both places earlier BTW

Thanks, I love going to book stores. I sadden me to also see the Borders in both downtown Chicago and Indy close. I'm not sure if New Orleans had one downtown. I guess Amazon is partly the reason as more people buy on line.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:43 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Just to be fair here's a festival in Boston. I've always wonder why Chinatowns were only common up north and out west. You figure as old as New Orleans is that it could have had it's own Chinatown by now.
New Orleans had a Chinatown along Tulane Ave in downtown New Orleans. It is now the site of Tulane Medical Center, they then tried to build one on Bourbon but the younger generation moved to Jefferson Parish in suburban New Orleans. It used to be the largest Chinatown in the south in the 1880s and 1890s.

Quote:
Thanks, I love going to book stores. I sadden me to also see the Borders in both downtown Chicago and Indy close. I'm not sure if New Orleans had one downtown. I guess Amazon is partly the reason as more people buy on line.
I don't think New Orleans ever had a Borders downtown.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:17 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
Boston just seems too bland for me. New Orleans is much more unique
Bland, lol.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:27 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Bland, lol.
I honestly was thinking the same. Even though I haven't been to Boston I don't see how its bland at all being how historical it is. Maybe in comparison to New Orleans but that's a stretch right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City