Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2022, 07:59 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
The Pavilion is more than a bandshell and is having a Starchiteck, lessen any structure? It is definitely in a downtown Chicago too, even if uou try to limit downtown to the Loop. The Hollywood bowl as way more paid concerts vs the Pritzker Pavilion, as not downtown LA for this thread. Its legacy and concert schedule is impressive.

Technically, Chicago classified its Pritzker Pavilion as a - work of art to get by the Grant Park-related height restrictions. Because new buildings are forbidden in the park, structures in Millennium Park are either labeled as art or they are buried underground. The Harris Theater for Music and Dance, which is largely underground partially under the pavilion due to the height restrictions also. Is right there too.

As Wikipedia notes the Pritzker Pavilion also as for the Performing Arts. The Pavilion is a home of the Grant Park Symphony Orchestra and Chorus and the Grant Park Music Festival, the nation's only remaining free outdoor classical music series. It also hosts a wide range of music series and annual performing arts events. Performers ranging from mainstream rock bands to classical musicians and opera singers have appeared at the pavilion, which even hosts physical fitness activities such as yoga.

Just to say LA's great Hollywood bowl (not downtown) or the Pritzker Pavilion is merely a bandshell. Is a bit unfair. Certainly the Chicago Pavilion, is not a all season indoor Concert Hall as the LA Bowl can do all year anything.

Grant Park also has what is a bandshell the Petrillo Music Shell as an outdoor amphitheater. So all 3 complement the other venues and each other. Whether Philly, Chicago or LA. Each has valued venues worth mention if downtown here. Philly definitely has its share. Just some cities have more within its downtown and others more outside of it.

Your lessening if Pittsburgh for disconnect to neighborhoods. Had Chicago get that by some in the past as industrial and warehousing. That proved a asset to gentrify in lofts and add infill where less housing was. Pittsburgh has topography also to be barriers.

Just surprises me how some rather lessen other cities to boost a favorite, when a favorite can stand on its own quite well.

Saying it's not a concert hall is not a knock on the Pritzker Pavilion. A bandshell is great--it is simply different from what a concert hall is.

I do think it's a shame that Pittsburgh's downtown was cut-off from the Hill District and from parts to the east via those freeways. My hope is that changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Yeah, unless something changed there's also that big lot between downtown and the PPG Paints Arena.

But those areas are outside of downtown, which goes to my earlier points about throwing in bonus neighborhoods to boost the downtowns of places like San Francisco and Seattle. If the rebuttal to that is, "well, its somewhat subjective, don't split hairs,you know what I mean!", then why even use the term "downtown?"

In Pittsburgh and Los Angeles, there is zero confusion as to which areas of downtown and which aren't.
I think that's greatly to the detriment to downtown for both places. Some downtowns are strongly defined like Center City and the Loop and some aren't, but isolation as a property in itself is not good. I think it would be a great benefit to Pittsburgh if it was actually a nice walk going east of downtown or north across the river. I think capping or removing the freeways around downtown LA and beautifying the LA River would be fantastic. There are archives of downtown LA prior to the construction of those freeways and they're great.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-17-2022 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 02:37 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
Again, point of who designs it is irrlevalent to its purpose it serves. Intent to lessen noted. Any city would love to have either venues and Philly has its share no poster tried to lessen and including along the Delaware as outdoor and limited by weather.

Points I gave and purposes I got from valid links. No bias and no lessening another city for all its assets that can be noted. I can imagine if I tried to argue to lessen a great asset for Philly in a venue.

I never expected such from you of merely bandshells.
Your use of the word "mere" here indicates you missed my point entirely.

The word "bandshell" is not a demeaning or belittling term; it's an accurate description for any outdoor concert stage enclosed on three sides, regardless of the size of the stage thus enclosed.

Don't believe me? Read the very first sentence of the Wikipedia article on the Jay Pritzker Pavilion:

Quote:
Jay Pritzker Pavilion, also known as Pritzker Pavilion or Pritzker Music Pavilion, is a bandshell in Millennium Park in the Loop community area of Chicago in Cook County, Illinois, United States.
Edited to add: Furthermore, there's this fact about the Pritzker Pavilion:

Quote:
Millennium Park is part of the larger Grant Park. The pavilion, which has a capacity of 11,000, is Grant Park's small event outdoor performing arts venue, and complements Petrillo Music Shell, the park's older and larger bandshell.
(emphasis added)

Again, the Hollywood Bowl is a bandshell too, and again, it's not a modest structure either. Calling the Pritzker Pavilion what it is is not a slight or an insult to the City of Chicago, the Chicago Park District, the Pritzker family (one of whose members was a college classmate of mine), Frank Gehry, or anyone else. There is no "intent to lessen" involved in using the word "bandshell"; both the (Robin Hood) Dell East and the Mann Center for the Performing Arts (formerly Mann Music Center, née Robin Hood Dell West) here are bandshells, though the latter, like Tanglewood in Massachusetts, also has a covered seating area.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 02-18-2022 at 02:49 AM..

Old 02-18-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Your use of the word "mere" here indicates you missed my point entirely.

The word "bandshell" is not a demeaning or belittling term; it's an accurate description for any outdoor concert stage enclosed on three sides, regardless of the size of the stage thus enclosed.

Don't believe me? Read the very first sentence of the Wikipedia article on the Jay Pritzker Pavilion:

Edited to add: Furthermore, there's this fact about the Pritzker Pavilion:

(emphasis added)

Again, the Hollywood Bowl is a bandshell too, and again, it's not a modest structure either. Calling the Pritzker Pavilion what it is is not a slight or an insult to the City of Chicago, the Chicago Park District, the Pritzker family (one of whose members was a college classmate of mine), Frank Gehry, or anyone else. There is no "intent to lessen" involved in using the word "bandshell"; both the (Robin Hood) Dell East and the Mann Center for the Performing Arts (formerly Mann Music Center, née Robin Hood Dell West) here are bandshells, though the latter, like Tanglewood in Massachusetts, also has a covered seating area.

Yea, it's a bit weird. It's like calling an apple and an apple and then saying an orange is not an apple and being offended by it. It's okay for an orange to be an orange and not an apple. They are different things.

Old 02-18-2022, 08:35 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Downtown Pittsburgh is nice. Reminded me of a mini Boston which was surprising even though i had been told it was like that.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:30 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,851,773 times
Jumping in a little late, but this Chicagoan considers downtown to be:

North Boundary: Chicago Avenue
South Boundary: Roosevelt
West Boundary: I-90/94
East Boundary: Da Lake

The North Boundary is probably the most difficult to assess. Strict rules might say it's the River, and anything north of that is "River North" instead of downtown. But there are lots of people who work/commute to offices between the river and Chicago Ave, it contains the Merchandise Mart, etc. Most people consider the area between the river and Chicago as "downtown", even though it's not the Loop. The Loop isn't exactly the same thing as downtown, even though they are often interchangeable terms.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:32 AM

8,863 posts, read 6,865,667 times
The primary meaning of "bandshell" is the stage and the curving structure behind it that helps reflect sound.

Sometimes it's used to describe the the whole amphitheater, but that's not really the meaning of the word.

Millennium Park has an amphitheater.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:28 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 9 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 978,334 times
1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Philadelphia
5. Washington, DC
6. Boston
7. Seattle
8. Los Angeles
9. Baltimore
10. Pittsburgh

Runner-ups: Miami, Honolulu, Portland, Minneapolis, Detroit

Old 02-18-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

The North Boundary is probably the most difficult to assess. Strict rules might say it's the River, and anything north of that is "River North" instead of downtown. But there are lots of people who work/commute to offices between the river and Chicago Ave, it contains the Merchandise Mart, etc. Most people consider the area between the river and Chicago as "downtown", even though it's not the Loop. The Loop isn't exactly the same thing as downtown, even though they are often interchangeable terms.
I think there's also some room to get a bit curvy with that northern and southern boundary a bit.

I think for the northern boundary, that part east of north branch of the Chicago River probably follows Chicago Avenue going eastwards and then up on State and then east again on Oak Street to the waterfront. West of the Chicago River branches though, the northern cut-off is probably lower.

For the southern boundary, Roosevelt's good east of the South Branch of the Chicago River, but west it's probably Congress Parkway.

I'd really like to see a cap on I-90/94 the ramps there removed even if only for greenspace, maybe as extensively as from Grand to Van Buren, as that would really help tie things together. Chicago's a city that can do well with a lot of freeway caps as parkspace and hopefully does so as tailpipe emissions go down and mass transit improves.

Old 02-18-2022, 12:38 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:

I think it's reasonable to consider moving the west boundary further west to Ogden, at least as far south as 290. With the construction boom-- with many office buildings -- in the West Loop, it's de facto becoming a part of Chicago's business district. It's also literally named "West Loop".

Old 02-18-2022, 01:45 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:

This is exactly what I had, with the exception of the southern boundary. I said 18th, if I had to choose, simply because I do consider the Museum(s) and Soldier Field downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City