Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2023, 10:00 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
We should map them and state what is along the way.
So to start, I’ll simply do the ~1sqmi of Seaport. Seaport doesn’t make it easy, as many places flirt the line between upscale dining and late night cocktail lounge. But I’ll go conservative for this list. Keep in mind, I’m leaving off some of the absolute best places to eat and hang out - Row 34, Woods Hill Pier 4, Mooo.., Moxies, Serafina, Strega, etc. - as they aren’t really nightlife spots. But this is what I can think of along Seaport Blvd and adjacent Congress/Summer.

Lookout Rooftop
Lucky’s
Drink
Deck 12
Trillium
Empire
The Sporting Club
Grace by Nia
Scorpion Bar
SPIN
Capiz Lounge
Temezcal
The Grand
Nautilus 4
Mj Occonnors
RumBa Bar
City Tap
Gather
Tamo
Tony Cs
Birch Bar
Legal Harborside Rooftop
Kings
Seaport Social
Deck 12
The Press Room
Cisco Brewery
Flight Club
Lolita
Lord Hobo Brewery
The Gold Bar

Then you cross the bridge, and you hit the greenway.

Seaport continues to extend itself away from the Harbor and towards Southie. Once that happens, you have a very real daytime/nightlife destination as you can easily assume an additional 10+ places, while Southie already has a handful of the most popular places in the city. But until then, it remains broken up by an industrial area (the last one left). Lawn on D is really the only hangout between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2023, 04:27 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Don't disagree on the AA demographic nightlife nuances.

DC & NYC are heads and shoulders above other heavy AA cities like Philly, Baltimore, Detroit, Memphis, Chicago, etc.. when it comes to upscale, drama free AA catered night life. Atlanta definitely runs the fine line between both.
I’m sorry but so what?

Provincetown has a better gay scene than like Cincinnati but it’s not a better downtown.

87% of people aren’t Black. That really isn’t some determining factor

Nobody talks this way about Asian or Hispanic destinations. Nobody talks about Miami being bette than Philly cause it uniquely caters to Hispanics in a way most other cities really do not. Nobody is putting Santa Fe on the list because it caters to Native Americans

Last edited by btownboss4; 10-10-2023 at 04:52 AM..

Old 10-10-2023, 06:35 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,420,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I’m sorry but so what?

Provincetown has a better gay scene than like Cincinnati but it’s not a better downtown.

87% of people aren’t Black. That really isn’t some determining factor

Nobody talks this way about Asian or Hispanic destinations. Nobody talks about Miami being bette than Philly cause it uniquely caters to Hispanics in a way most other cities really do not. Nobody is putting Santa Fe on the list because it caters to Native Americans
To the bold,The world isnt just America for one lol. Your last paragraph is wrong too (especially for Miami lol), you’re just not privy to these conversations.

Those two posters are absolutely correct regarding tiers of black nightlife cities also. You can also make the argument that different groups may rank a cities downtown higher or lower based on who they cater to.

Old 10-10-2023, 06:54 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
It’d be a fun exercise.

Seaport is vertical in patches, so you have 3/4 stories of bars and entertainment. And it has side streets both north and south of the Blvd.

I’ll try and put it together tomorrow.
I saw your list and you did a great job. I screenshot it myself.

But yes, Seaport is really unique. 3-4 stories of bars in spots, with lots more coming. Up until about 2020, I really disliked the Seaport District. Now, its coming together nicely and the new establishments are kind of fun actually. And theres a lot of fun places coming. As it grows, matures and continues to develop, it will be a much more cohesive and fun destination for Bostonians and tourists alike.

I must say- The Seaport District has constantly good prices for drinks RELATIVE to what population it serves. I get charged like $8-10 for cocktails or $6-8 for beers. Those are happy hour prices here in Manhattan lol. The Hudson Yards/Meatpacking District (equivalent of Seaport IMHO) is atleast double the price of the Seaport District. At minimum.

Overall- Great list. I enjoy your posts a lot.

Old 10-10-2023, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
To the bold,The world isnt just America for one lol. Your last paragraph is wrong too (especially for Miami lol), you’re just not privy to these conversations.

Those two posters are absolutely correct regarding tiers of black nightlife cities also. You can also make the argument that different groups may rank a cities downtown higher or lower based on who they cater to.
Even if you love county music you should probably be able to see Nashville isn’t actually a top tier Downtown.

You can personally like Buffalo more than San Francisco but that doesn’t mean by any reasonable measure it’s better than SF as a city.

It kind of cancels out and you should be able to see beyond yourself and your personal preferences. Like DC is the only big east coast city lacking a real Downtown Chinatown and Little Italy. (Assuming you just lump the North End with Downtown Boston). From an objective standard is Chinese or SE Asian culture less important than African American?

And no you really do not see the same degree of Miami boosting based on its Latin flavor.

Also I’d be willing to bet ~13% of the world is “black”. Considering Africa-North Africa+NA diaspora is probably a smudge over ~1B or so people.or 1/8th if the world.

Old 10-10-2023, 07:04 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Even if you love county music you should probably be able to see Nashville isn’t actually a top tier Downtown.

You can personally like Buffalo more than San Francisco but that doesn’t mean by any reasonable measure it’s better than SF as a city.

It kind of cancels out and you should be able to see beyond yourself and your personal preferences. Like DC is the only big east coast city lacking a real Downtown Chinatown and Little Italy. (Assuming you just lump the North End with Downtown Boston). From an objective standard is Chinese or SE Asian culture less important than African American?

And no you really do not see the same degree of Miami boosting based on its Latin flavor.

Also I’d be willing to bet ~13% of the world is “black”. Considering Africa-North Africa+NA diaspora is probably a smudge over ~1B or so people.or 1/8th if the world.
OMG….people shouldn’t even respond to you based on this. There are Black people all over the world.

Old 10-10-2023, 07:10 AM

Quote:
OMG….people shouldn’t even respond to you based on this. There are Black people all over the world.
Not enough to really make a dent in a world population of over 8 billion. (Although I should have said Amerycan Diasporia because like South America has a lot of African ancestory)

But also I was wrong, I though Africa had a population of ~1B but subsaharan Africa is ~1B so it’s probably like ~18% if you say 500M black people live in the Americas, Europe and Asia.

But all you have to do is look at Rwanda or the Congo if you think Africans think Black is some sort of cohesive identity. That’s only really a thing in the Americas. Where Slavery wiped away a lot of ethnic differences. Or he’ll, tell the Palestinians and Israelis are Azeri and Armenians they’re all just white people. That identity doesn’t really exist outside America.

Old 10-10-2023, 07:13 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Austin's main "strip" is more akin to SD (Gaslmap), Baltimore (Fells) or Pittsburgh's (South Side Flats) where you have full on bar districts that 10's upon 10's of bars crammed into a few blocks and then it goes quite.

What big cities like DC, Philly, Boston, SF etc.. lack in relative concentration, they make up for in sheer diffuse quantity and quality.
I agree with this right here. If you ask me to rank nightlife in Austin, Philly and D.C. then Austin would be behind those 2 IMO. While Austin is no slouch and it really isn't I personally prefer the layout of Philly and D.C.

I'm also at the age where I don't frequent clubs or bars like that. The bulk of Austin's nightlife caters to college kids, gen z and younger millennials. I feel like cities like D.C. and Philly have a more well rounded and mature night life scene especially for a Black American such as myself.

But Austin does have an impressive nightlife. I don't want to confuse people and make it seem as though Austin is just meh even if I feel like it likes when it comes to the general Black crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Good point, nothing but a bunch of white people in this video. Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMOif5HziB4&t=730s

That's SXSW though we know it is only white hipsters that go out for that.
LOL, come on man that's SXSW. That and the Texas Relay's is the Blackest you'll ever see Austin. Any other weekend and it's heavily White, followed by Hispanics, Asians and then Black. I've walked up and down 6th street and Rainey and we're(AA) a super minority in Austin night life scene.

Still have a good time but I can tell you how many places I've been to where we were the only Black people in the crowd unless it was a open mic hip-hop show.

Quote:
Well, I will also point out that the reason DC, Atlanta, and NYC stand head and shoulders above the rest of America is that you can go out to “multiple spots” in those cities with an all Black professional educated crowd. That’s not really the case anywhere else. A lot of these other cities don’t have the Black educated population to support that type of scene.

The nightlife is going to be hood in almost all these cities other than DC and NYC. Atlanta has professional nightlife too, but it can be really hood too.
I'd put Houston in that same category too. I'd also say not every scene has to split between "HOOD" and "PROFESSIONAL". One of the things I loved about Atlanta nightlife is the diverse crowds of Black people.

Old 10-10-2023, 08:56 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
So to start, I’ll simply do the ~1sqmi of Seaport. Seaport doesn’t make it easy, as many places flirt the line between upscale dining and late night cocktail lounge. But I’ll go conservative for this list. Keep in mind, I’m leaving off some of the absolute best places to eat and hang out - Row 34, Woods Hill Pier 4, Mooo.., Moxies, Serafina, Strega, etc. - as they aren’t really nightlife spots. But this is what I can think of along Seaport Blvd and adjacent Congress/Summer.

Lookout Rooftop
Lucky’s
Drink
Deck 12
Trillium
Empire
The Sporting Club
Grace by Nia
Scorpion Bar
SPIN
Capiz Lounge
Temezcal
The Grand
Nautilus 4
Mj Occonnors
RumBa Bar
City Tap
Gather
Tamo
Tony Cs
Birch Bar
Legal Harborside Rooftop
Kings
Seaport Social
Deck 12
The Press Room
Cisco Brewery
Flight Club
Lolita
Lord Hobo Brewery
The Gold Bar

Seaport continues to extend itself away from the Harbor and towards Southie. Once that happens, you have a very real daytime/nightlife destination as you can easily assume an additional 10+ places, while Southie already has a handful of the most popular places in the city. But until then, it remains broken up by an industrial area (the last one left). Lawn on D is really the only hangout between the two.
I do not like the Seaport... but you missed : Borrachito Taqueria & Spirits and ZaziBar had a soft opening this weekend. Grand opening is today at noon. Will be open noon to 12am today.

Old 10-10-2023, 08:57 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:

Lookout Rooftop
Lucky’s
Drink
Deck 12
Trillium
Empire
The Sporting Club
Grace by Nia
Scorpion Bar
SPIN
Capiz Lounge
Temezcal
The Grand
Nautilus 4
Mj Occonnors
RumBa Bar
City Tap
Gather
Tamo
Tony Cs
Birch Bar
Legal Harborside Rooftop
Kings
Seaport Social
Deck 12
The Press Room
Cisco Brewery
Flight Club
Lolita
Lord Hobo Brewery
The Gold Bar

I do not like the Seaport... but you missed : Borrachito Taqueria & Spirits and ZaziBar had a soft opening this weekend. Grand opening is today at noon. Will be open noon to 12am today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City