Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2023, 09:40 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Good list! I didn't know we were doing restaurants. I was thinking spots that are nightclubs/bars with a permit for live music or a DJ. I guess we can include restaurants if you want, but that is not what we were comparing at first. I will say that when I mentioned walking around DC or NYC at 2am, restaurants would be closed way before that.
I specifically said this list excludes many restaraunts, some of which are the best in the area.

All of these serve as rooftops/lounges/proper bars at night.

I actually forgot one of the most popular in Seaport - Committee. Yet another example of what I’m talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2023, 09:48 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
The Seaport isn’t downtown?

Old 10-10-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Seport is attempting to increase its diversity with some of these festivals and a few black-owned venues (see ZaziBar) but it is still monochromatically white and artificial. For that reason, it feels like nightlife with training wheels. One of the knocks on a place that is soooo caucasian is that caucasian culture is the standard as is, so it's not really as "exciting" because it's like the general backdrop of life. Also no interesting nooks or crannies to venture through like Downtown. So you cant get that same texture of experience that you might want through the course of a night. I wouldn't willingly go there unless I'm getting on a Harbor Cruise.

Seaport is like 'if you like nightlife but are scared of black people, small spaces, alleys, and dancing.' Lol.
I just think everyone’s coming at this from a different angle, with different opinions on what nightlife should look like or be. You’re right in what you said above. But I think it’s a model they can easily replicate with Dorchester’s Bay City. These are HUGE facelifts for Boston.

Seaport is still growing. Congress St and Summer have a legitimate chance to pack in more bars and nightlife.. More places like Lucky’s and Drink, less places like Lookout Empire or Committee. More “industrial” clubs and music venues, less shiny glass buildings.

End of the day, Seaport caters to and delivers for the 27+ crowd that wants fine dining, rooftops, good drinks, breweries, and a true district to hop around day and night. I’m not saying it’s fun for everyone, but I’ve had a ton of fun in Seaport in recent years. And it’s actually pulling in a significantly more diverse crowd than it did pre development (I.e country music at Whiskey Priest).

Old 10-10-2023, 09:52 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Seport is attempting to increase its diversity with some of these festivals and a few black-owned venues (see ZaziBar) but it is still monochromatically white and artificial. For that reason, it feels like nightlife with training wheels. One of the knocks on a place that is soooo caucasian is that caucasian culture is the standard as is, so it's not really as "exciting" because it's like the general backdrop of life. Also no interesting nooks or crannies to venture through like Downtown. So you cant get that same texture of experience that you might want through the course of a night. I wouldn't willingly go there unless I'm getting on a Harbor Cruise.

Seaport is like 'if you like nightlife but are scared of black people, small spaces, alleys, and dancing.' Lol.
Again they exceeded my expectations. I thought it was gonna be even worse LMAO.

But yeah thats so true its the people-equivalent of The Villages/Meatpacking District in Manhattan i guess lol

Old 10-10-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I mean neither is Adams Morgan.

This has become a subthread at this point.

Old 10-10-2023, 09:53 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No its very much not. It's actually South Boston. Its never been downtown, Does anyone consider it Downtown? Eveyrone calls it Seaport and directly compares it to Downtown.

Old 10-10-2023, 09:57 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I just think everyone’s coming at this from a different angle, with different opinions on what nightlife should look like or be. You’re right in what you said above. But I think it’s a model they can easily replicate with Dorchester’s Bay City. These are HUGE facelifts for Boston.

Seaport is still growing. Congress St and Summer have a legitimate chance to pack in more bars and nightlife.. More places like Lucky’s and Drink, less places like Lookout Empire or Committee.

End of the day, Seaport caters to and delivers for the 27+ crowd that wants fine dining, rooftops, good drinks, and a true district to hop around. I’m not saying it’s fun for everyone, but I’ve had a ton of fun in Seaport in recent years. And it’s actually pulling in a significantly more diverse crowd than it did pre development (I.e country music at Whiskey Priest).
As a visitor to my hometown I'm more interested in what happens as the value of Downtown is going down, and efforts are (might) be made to inject new nightlife and more diverse businesses into that area.

If it is getting more diverse- the Seaport started from such a bland baseline (Whisky Priest) that I wouldn't even come back until 4-5 years from now. Also, some of the new places charge like $21 for a cocktail so like 25+ after tax and tip. Im just not gonna go there. I dont have that sort of money. Ad if i did and I spent it on that, id feel like a fool.

All in all I don't like what the seaport has become or is becoming- it is not what Bostonians were sold.

Dorchester Bay City is another disappointment I wont be frequenting. There should have been way more housing and entertainment. Not Labs and retail. Certain places as a matter of principle I just dont support.

Old 10-10-2023, 10:06 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
No its very much not. It's actually South Boston. Its never been downtown, Does anyone consider it Downtown? Eveyrone calls it Seaport and directly compares it to Downtown.
Honestly the more I think about the more I think the Sunbelt is getting sold short. Because quite literally everything is in actual Downtown (Uptown) Charlotte, Dallas, Miami etc.

The thing is there is nothing around Downtown of note. But if you compared that Freeway inner loop in Dallas to Boston between the common, up Tremont/Cambridge Street the Harbor then the Channel and Kneeland Street. Boston wins, but largely on the back of the North End and Chinatown. And in terms of a lot of tourist/cultural destinations Dallas actually wins since a lot of big things are outside Downtown proper.

I actually think the city used to have trash day rotations that defined “Boston proper” as those neighborhoods+beacon Hill and back bay. Which still doesn’t count the Seaport

Old 10-10-2023, 10:40 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
I'm not terribly fond of the Dallas-type museum district. Lots of single-use buildings on their own blocks with only one front door each. No off-street campus setting. Busy right before or after an event, plus the trickle heading to each museum, but not vibrant overall.

I'd rather they were either (a) more integrated with other uses in denser form, (b) on a walkable campus several blocks further out, or (c) spread around more.

Old 10-10-2023, 11:06 AM

441 posts, read 228,080 times
Downtown Atlanta has to be a candidate for top 5 downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City