Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2023, 12:31 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
How does it compare to Navy Yard?
Seaport is noticeably smaller in geographic footprint than Navy Yard and is less heavy on residential. Apart from that and the building heights, there’s not much difference in terms of quality or quantity of offerings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2023, 01:33 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's a pretty big difference in the way they feel. DC's most urban and intensely built high-rise neighborhoods tend to be very similar which is why I say Downtown DC visually covers half the city now.

Penn Quarter

Golden Triangle

NOMA

Union Market

Navy Yard

The Wharf

Mt. Vernon Triangle
The CBD is DC is not 31 sq miles it’s just not. 1/2 the city is between the Anacostia and Rock Creek

Old 10-10-2023, 02:20 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
I'm curious- If you count Inner Harbor, harbor east, dells point, Camden Yards & Mt. Vernon for a cohesive "core" for Baltimore, or the "Greater downtown" area would it be top 12?

Old 10-10-2023, 02:21 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The CBD is DC is not 31 sq miles it’s just not. 1/2 the city is between the Anacostia and Rock Creek
Well.....

Rock Creek Park

Anacostia River

This area is ever expanding as I'm sure you know. To the east, to the west, to the north, to the south. The 12-15 story high-rise creep is moving outward in all directions. The development zone has finally reached the Anacostia River banks and is crossing as we speak.

Anacostia Street View (Bridge District Cranes)

Bridge District Rendering

Bridge District will join Poplar Point which is the size of Seaport.

Poplar Point

Last edited by MDAllstar; 10-10-2023 at 02:30 PM..

Old 10-10-2023, 02:22 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
I’m Black, are you sure about that? What Black person has Austin anywhere on their list of nightlife destinations? If it’s not Texas Relays, who is partying in Austin?
Come on man, you're reaching here. The vibrancy of a city's nightlife scene or its individual nightlife districts can be reasonably assessed by observation from the street. Whether or not the venues appeal to you personally is irrelevant.

Old 10-10-2023, 02:32 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Well.....

Rock Creek Park

Anacostia River

This area is ever expanding as I'm sure you know. To the east, to the west, to the north, to the south. The 12-15 story high-rise creep is moving outward in all directions.
Again that would be like somebody calling all of Paris or Athens “downtown” because their consistent mid-rise footprint extends well past their administrative limits.

There are nuances in the urban form (primarily architecture and street width) that one can very much tell when you transition in and out of DC’s more urban neighborhood.

Old 10-10-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Well.....

Rock Creek Park

Anacostia River

This area is ever expanding as I'm sure you know. To the east, to the west, to the north, to the south. The 12-15 story high-rise creep is moving outward in all directions. The development zone has finally reached the Anacostia River banks and is crossing as we speak.

Anacostia Street View (Bridge District Cranes)

Bridge District Rendering

Bridge District will join Poplar Point which is the size of Seaport.

Poplar Point
You’re telling me Major Park, Crestwood, Brookland, Langdon etc are very much not the CBD.

You’re either stupid are you think we are stupid if you are saying Downtown DC is 31 sq miles

Old 10-10-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Again that would be like somebody calling all of Paris or Athens “downtown” because their consistent mid-rise footprint extends well past their administrative limits.

There are nuances in the urban form (primarily architecture and street width) that one can very much tell when you transition in and out of DC’s more urban neighborhood.
Even then the very limit of neighborhoods dominated by 8-10ish floor buildings is like 4 Sq miles. Other than that it’s a couple main roads.

There is like a Mike of two floor set back Rowhomes between the Navy Yard and Downturn DC they are clearly not the same place

Old 10-10-2023, 02:42 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I'd also say not every scene has to split between "HOOD" and "PROFESSIONAL". One of the things I loved about Atlanta nightlife is the diverse crowds of Black people.
^This.

Old 10-10-2023, 02:43 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post

That is what makes those cities and DC unique compared to American cities though. When someone goes to Paris, the entire city is urban buildings. DC's urban core is changing as construction spreads. That is all I was saying. Boston, Philly, and SF don't have the same footprint as DC's expanding urban core. That is the comparison I was making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City