Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2023, 08:48 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Now you’re just exaggerating.

U Street, especially towards 9th, and Adams Morgan are true bar districts. 14th and Connecticut have some bars, fast food spots, restaurants, and everything in between.

Philadelphia doesn’t have a walk like that!?

I mean, even in Boston which is by no means a nightlife destination, a walk down Seaport Blvd starting at Harpoon to the bridge and then over to Congress St packs as much of a punch as U Street / 14th. Dozens of Breweries, lounges, rooftops, and restaurants that convert to high-end nightlife spots. Boylston starting in Fenway all the way down and over to Newbury is as good of a stretch as Connecticut and 18th, both to drink and east (even better shopping). I’d agree it’s missing Adams Morgan, as that would be more like a Southie/South End.
We should map them and state what is along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2023, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
All I'm saying man is that you need to do a party weekend in Austin and tell me that DC outclasses it in nightlife.

There are many ways that DC outclasses Austin. It is the nation's capital. Getting ****ed up is not one of them lol.
I’m Black, are you sure about that? What Black person has Austin anywhere on their list of nightlife destinations? If it’s not Texas Relays, who is partying in Austin?

Old 10-09-2023, 08:54 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times
Austin's main "strip" is more akin to SD (Gaslmap), Baltimore (Fells) or Pittsburgh's (South Side Flats) where you have full on bar districts that 10's upon 10's of bars crammed into a few blocks and then it goes quite.

What big cities like DC, Philly, Boston, SF etc.. lack in relative concentration, they make up for in sheer diffuse quantity and quality.

Old 10-09-2023, 08:55 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
We should map them and state what is along the way.
It’d be a fun exercise.

Seaport is vertical in patches, so you have 3/4 stories of bars and entertainment. And it has side streets both north and south of the Blvd.

I’ll try and put it together tomorrow.

Old 10-09-2023, 08:58 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
I’m Black, are you sure about that? What Black person has Austin anywhere on their list of nightlife destinations? If it’s not Texas Relays, who is partying in Austin?
Good point, nothing but a bunch of white people in this video. Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMOif5HziB4&t=730s

That's SXSW though we know it is only white hipsters that go out for that.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Good point, nothing but a bunch of white people in this video. Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMOif5HziB4&t=730s

That's SXSW though we know it is only white hipsters that go out for that.
So how about this weekend? What’s the move? Where should I go?

Old 10-09-2023, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I'm mixed and all about my black culture. I sure as hell wouldn't pass up a weekend party in Austin for the same reason I'd wouldn't pass up partying Denver or Nashville.

... New experiences.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I'm mixed and all about my black culture. I sure as hell wouldn't pass up a weekend party in Austin for the same reason I'd wouldn't pass up partying Denver or Nashville.

... New experiences.
Well, I will also point out that the reason DC, Atlanta, and NYC stand head and shoulders above the rest of America is that you can go out to “multiple spots” in those cities with an all Black professional educated crowd. That’s not really the case anywhere else. A lot of these other cities don’t have the Black educated population to support that type of scene.

The nightlife is going to be hood in almost all these cities other than DC and NYC. Atlanta has professional nightlife too, but it can be really hood too.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:15 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
So how about this weekend? What’s the move? Where should I go?
Well a tourist has to go to Dirty just for the insanity of it. From there you can easily walk to Rainey St or West 6th which are other bar hopping areas. There are 5-6 different comedy clubs on dirty 6th which is more my speed these days. There are a number of great live music venues downtown, probably Stubb's and Mohawk are the most iconic. Some clubs and gay bars over on 4th st if you want to dance. Barbarella is an awesome club on Red River that is like 4 venues in one and an extremely diverse crowd.

On the east side my favorites are The White Horse and Hotel Vegas, but there are a lot of places to bounce around to over there as well.

Mind you I'm in my late 30s so surely out of touch with where the very coolest places for younger people to go are.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Well, I will also point out that the reason DC, Atlanta, and NYC stand head and shoulders above the rest of America is that you can go out to “multiple spots” in those cities with an all Black professional educated crowd. That’s not really the case anywhere else. A lot of these other cities don’t have the Black educated population to support that type of scene.

The nightlife is going to be hood in almost all these cities other than DC and NYC. Atlanta has professional nightlife too, but it can be really hood too.
Don't disagree on the AA demographic nightlife nuances.

DC & NYC are heads and shoulders above other heavy AA cities like Philly, Baltimore, Detroit, Memphis, Chicago, etc.. when it comes to upscale, drama free AA catered night life. Atlanta definitely runs the fine line between both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City