Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:37 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
First time I'm seeing this as well. Also, being top 10 in the World is a nice little badge to wear FWIW!

I guess we'll have to get used to seeing tied but "edge San Francisco" instead of "edge Boston"

That's monumental to me! LOL!!!
Yeah that was cute.

Interesting cause in that ranking, DC is closer to Boston than Boston is to SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 06:56 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah that was cute.

Interesting cause in that ranking, DC is closer to Boston than Boston is to SF.
Erm, no it's not. Did you not look at the points? 3 points separate Boston & SF, 8 between Boston & DC.

Also what was "cute" about saying there was an edge to Boston in the past? In previous rankings the two were neck and neck with a small point advantage to Boston. Now there's a small point advantage to SF.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:03 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Erm, no it's not. Did you not look at the points? 3 points separate Boston & SF, 8 between Boston & DC.
Was just gonna say that.

But he is probably factoring in San Jose, Sacramento, Portland and Seattle.

You know how they do it over there in the Bay

Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Was just gonna say that.

But he is probably factoring in San Jose, Sacramento, Portland and Seattle.

You know how they do it over there in the Bay
Haha yea probably. FWIW, I'm pretty sure it takes into account the whole Bay Area...but once again I forgot how things work when the Bay becomes the topic.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:25 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Haha yea probably. FWIW, I'm pretty sure it takes into account the whole Bay Area...but once again I forgot how things work when the Bay becomes the topic.
To be honest, I am surprised that Boston and DC are still able to hold their own being so close to NY. Three of our top 5 financial centers are so close to each other

Old 02-07-2012, 07:28 PM

Im talking about their ranking, this makes more sense:

9 San Francisco

12 Boston
14 Washington DC

Furthermore, this is a statistically quantifiable question and should be ranked that way based on the number of financial institutions headquartered in a city and the value of assets and transactions in different subsectors of financial services, as well as the number of people with a certain amount of assets and net worth in a city and its surrounding metro region.

Instead upon closer inspection of this 'report', which is more like an infomercial for people doing business in Doha, one is disappointed to read that this ranking is also based on survey results. Sad.

As if opinions are just as vital as dollars and cents? BTW THEY DONT.

Hence Sinagpore and Hong Kong and Shanghai all rank erroneously rank higher than Tokyo, which is laughable.

Tokyo has a larger regional economy than all 3 of those places COMBINED and they dont want to compare the size of their cute financial institutions to Tokyo's juggernaut. Talk about David and Goliath.

And all of China's major banks are in Beijing, and Beijing has HUGE BANKS these days, yet Shanghai is probably more popular with wannabes in banking so they all voted for Shanghai.

So we are once again forced to debunk a ranking on finance because its NOT really a ranking of finance or the components that define the industry, but FLUFFY, UNIMPORTANT, IRREVELANT opinion of dim witted, greedy financial workers who are about as knowledgable on the geography of global finance as they can see outside their office window.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:51 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Uhh Financial institutions aren't the same thing as GDP. That is why Los Angeles isn't even on there despite being the #2 GDP in the U.S. That report is about finance, not economic output.
Also having big banks doesn't equal a large financial hub... That is the entire premise for this thread.

By the way your post doesn't make sense...

Here you say...

Quote:
Im talking about their ranking, this makes more sense:

9 San Francisco

12 Boston
14 Washington DC
Then turn around and say
Quote:
Instead upon closer inspection of this 'report', which is more like an infomercial for people doing business in Doha, one is disappointed to read that this ranking is also based on survey results. Sad.
ironically eliminating any edge SF might have had...

Personally I think the report is fairly accurate, and historically Boston HAS been a strong financial hub than SF... There is no slight there, that is just how it is.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:06 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Some honorable mentions Hartford, Omaha, Charlotte, Phoenix, all the federal reserve cities. I look forward to learning from this thread.
Well my friend, it all depends on what it is you wish to learn. I have a feeling though that if you truly understood how our Federal Reserve system is a scam (that makes "economic slaves" out of the common man) you'd actually be ashamed of the fact that they have a branch office in Charlotte.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Being from Charlotte I hear about us being the second largest banking center after New York.
Still? Even after the collapse of Wachovia? I wouldn't think so.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

By the way your post doesn't make sense...

Here you say...

Then turn around and say
ironically eliminating any edge SF might have had...
HENCE it should be apparent that unlike most people, my motivation is not based on how I want the ranking to appear.(And I get accused of homerism? Mirror time people)

If for the sake of intellectual honesty, SF actually ranks lower, I really dont care.

But seeing a comparatively tiny Singapore rank higher than freaking Tokyo is ridiculous as far as finance. And ludricrous. And nonsensical.

And you havent really proven anything I said to be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City