Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:56 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
New York, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Miami, Minneapolis.
I hope that's not supposed to be in order of importance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I wouldn't say that. Even of they're not that globally significant. If the other 5 contribute a nice degree to the financial service industry in America that still contributes to some degree to the global spectrum.
True...but there's only one or two places with any kind of significant presence in financial services. One surprise is Kansas City. I'd say it's probably the 6th or 7th most important in the country for financial services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
True...but there's only one or two places with any kind of significant presence in financial services. One surprise is Kansas City. I'd say it's probably the 6th or 7th most important in the country for financial services.
really??? Shocker to me too

Old 02-28-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
really??? Shocker to me too
Yes, aside from the main point many people make--having a Federal Reserve Branch--my former company had its third or fourth largest base of operations (after Boston, NY/NJ and London) in Kansas City. If I'm not mistaken it's also home to many other major branch locations.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:38 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Yes, aside from the main point many people make--having a Federal Reserve Branch--my former company had its third or fourth largest base of operations (after Boston, NY/NJ and London) in Kansas City. If I'm not mistaken it's also home to many other major branch locations.

am curious your perception of Philly relative to KC. Not among the top centers (NYC/Bos/SF) but seems decent sized not sure where it would rank, would think in the top ten somewhere but not the dominant segment for the area by any means

Some banks and financial instutions, Vangaurd, SEI, large credit card activity and a pretty sizable insurance component (sort of in the segment in the way the cos work), a Fed center, Stock Excahnge etc.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
am curious your perception of Philly relative to KC. Not among the top centers (NYC/Bos/SF) but seems decent sized not sure where it would rank, would think in the top ten somewhere but not the dominant segment for the area by any means

Some banks and financial instutions, Vangaurd, SEI, large credit card activity and a pretty sizable insurance component (sort of in the segment in the way the cos work), a Fed center, Stock Excahnge etc.
I'd say Philadelphia has to be between DC and KC. A great company like Vanguard is better than anything in KC (or DC and most other cities for that matter). There's also the fact that Philadelphia is so close to NYC, which hurts the city but also helps it.

While many financial institutions escape the high prices of Manhattan and flee to Fairfield County and Long Island, many others--such as Merrill Lynch--go to Northern and Central New Jersey. While the massive Merrill offices in Hopewell (Mercer County) don't technically fall into Philadelphia jurisdiction, it's a pretty large area of contention. I believe there are several other major NY companies with major ops in New Jersey too.

Overall, Philadelphia's influence doesn't quite match up to the Top 5 in the US, but I'd say it's the leader of the next tier which includes Philadelphia, Kansas City, Atlanta, and Minneapolis.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:23 PM

72 posts, read 131,166 times
I'm surprised Orlando had more than Tampa. I guess Tampa is really split between the various cities in the tampa bay area.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
I'd say Philadelphia has to be between DC and KC. A great company like Vanguard is better than anything in KC (or DC and most other cities for that matter). There's also the fact that Philadelphia is so close to NYC, which hurts the city but also helps it.

While many financial institutions escape the high prices of Manhattan and flee to Fairfield County and Long Island, many others--such as Merrill Lynch--go to Northern and Central New Jersey. While the massive Merrill offices in Hopewell (Mercer County) don't technically fall into Philadelphia jurisdiction, it's a pretty large area of contention. I believe there are several other major NY companies with major ops in New Jersey too.

Overall, Philadelphia's influence doesn't quite match up to the Top 5 in the US, but I'd say it's the leader of the next tier which includes Philadelphia, Kansas City, Atlanta, and Minneapolis.
The Merrill facility is huge in Mercer county. Was originally going to be 4 miles South on I95 in Newtown in Bucks County PA. PA lost out when they would not redo the 95 interchange and NJ stole Merrill 4 miles away. This though is a perfect example of a simple 4 mile impact to which area claims the facility. And even commuter rate impact for MSA/CSA aligment. Without belaboring too much there is also a new Hospital right next store that just finished a fairly aggressive ad campaign on Philly TV and Radio because the patients it competes for are in the Philly market and not the NYC market. I spent half my youth about 5 miles from the Merrill facility on the PA side; know it well. The Merrill Facility far closer to Philly or Vangaurd than it is to Wall Street, maybe half the distance, especially time wise

The Merrill campus
I95 Exit 3 Mercer County NJ - Google Maps

And then mapped to see how far it is outside the Philly MSA

looks like about 8,000 feet

There are quite a few in Jersey you are correct. Also New Castle County has a fair amount but more dominated by the credit industry

But agree on your points. Philly may be 6th or so but not the same as the others but maybe some seperation from the next group. Philly lands in this range on a few fronts, diversity has its good and bad parts I suppose

Old 02-28-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The Merrill facility is huge in Mercer county. Was originally going to be 4 miles South on I95 in Newtown in Bucks County PA. PA lost out when they would not redo the 95 interchange and NJ stole Merrill 4 miles away. This though is a perfect example of a simple 4 mile impact to which area claims the facility. And even commuter rate impact for MSA/CSA aligment. Without belaboring too much there is also a new Hospital right next store that just finished a fairly aggressive ad campaign on Philly TV and Radio because the patients it competes for are in the Philly market and not the NYC market. I spent half my youth about 5 miles from the Merrill facility on the PA side; know it well. The Merrill Facility far closer to Philly or Vangaurd than it is to Wall Street, maybe half the distance, especially time wise

The Merrill campus

And then mapped to see how far it is outside the Philly MSA

looks like about 8,000 feet

There are quite a few in Jersey you are correct. Also New Castle County has a fair amount but more dominated by the credit industry

But agree on your points. Philly may be 6th or so but not the same as the others but maybe some seperation from the next group. Philly lands in this range on a few fronts, diversity has its good and bad parts I suppose
Yea one of my closest friends works in the Merrill offices (he resides at the Lambertville, NJ/New Hope, PA junction...god that area is absolutely gorgeous). It wasn't far from Philly whatsoever. The Philadelphia/NYC metro border remains to be one of the largest contention points on the site haha.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
So Kansas City ranks higher than Charlotte? I'm not saying I disagree, but if there is a difference it's not by much. I would also say Philadelphia and Los Angeles hold some weight as well as Miami and Minneapolis. I also think Dallas is the financial capital of Texas.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
So Kansas City ranks higher than Charlotte? I'm not saying I disagree, but if there is a difference it's not by much. I would also say Philadelphia and Los Angeles hold some weight as well as Miami and Minneapolis. I also think Dallas is the financial capital of Texas.
The problem with Charlotte being considered a financial center is that after the loss of Wachovia, it's more/less just Bank of America. While Bank of America is no doubt an enormous player in the financial services industry, its main financial services operations are done in New York City, Boston, and San Francisco.

Miami, while home to many international banks, doesn't really have much financial services activity.

I would agree that Dallas is the financial services capital of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City