Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gang Capital of the United States?
Chicago 157 50.97%
Los Angeles 151 49.03%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 01:46 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,379 times

Advertisements

To give outsiders a better understanding of LA today it's like this ....the south side area of LA is south central with a population of 398'000 compared to south side Chicago with an area of 800"000 .....both cities biggest and most notorious gangs are on the southside with Chicago southside having way more people and way more black people...where in LA the population of blacks has decreased dramatically thus making it the LA we have today where crime has dropped because a lot of blacks left after the war years ,where in Chicago and Detroit blacks are still the majority......

Even than LA black gangs commit the most percentage of crime and murder but due to the geographic change the crime is down.....
You'll find LA gangs more now in the valley or high desert because of the terrorist laws and gang injunctions.....

What's happening in Chicago is a result of no leadership and the gangs are running wild because the city projects was torn down thus making it worse because the gangs from the projects are now all over the city......

And NYC crime is down also because the nypd is basically everywhere you go just like the police in LA .....those two cities are dealt with first by the law before the rest of the country.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:31 AM

12 posts, read 21,302 times
Why is it that everyone seems to thing Chicago is going crazy with murder? I mean it is, but it's actually decreasing. This is my beef. Like you kobe, everyone seems to think that there is alot of murder because there's no leadership and the projects were demolished. I mean that is certainly the cause of the murders today, but what about the murders of past decades?

"In early May, the Chicago Police Department released figures indicating the city marked a 43 percent decline in the number of murders over the first four months of this year, as compared to the same period last year. For the first quarter of this year, Chicago registered 93 murders, its lowest January-to-April tally since 1963."

Source: The Truth About Chicago's Falling Murder Rate | Blog | Media Matters for America

"It was only the third week of school, and already 12 boys had been killed in gang-related shootings on the south side. Another 42 had been wounded. Shots rang out not just on street corners but in school hallways. In one month, close to four dozen Chicagoans would die in acts of gang violence. This was not last summer. This was 45 summers ago."

Source: A history of gang violence: The Almighty Black P Stone Nation | Lit Feature | Chicago Reader

I remember my uncle telling me about back in the old days when he was in highschool. Yep, you'd have boys turning up dead in the locker room, gettin thrown out the windows of the upper floors, raping girls under the stairwell. During the riot(s) of '68 all the white boys were pulled out of the school unless they wore a shirt that said 'Soul Brother".

Point is, violence is nothing new. I can attest to that I know way too many dead people. I'm glad it's going down.

Last edited by Mista G Nerd; 11-13-2013 at 02:44 AM..

Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 AM

572 posts, read 708,656 times
Lol la is nobody's golden child. Nice try

Old 11-13-2013, 02:45 AM

572 posts, read 708,656 times
So the f. Bi is in cahoots with the media to cover up la murders. Yeah right.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:07 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista G Nerd View Post
Why is it that everyone seems to thing Chicago is going crazy with murder? I mean it is, but it's actually decreasing. This is my beef. Like you kobe, everyone seems to think that there is alot of murder because there's no leadership and the projects were demolished. I mean that is certainly the cause of the murders today, but what about the murders of past decades?

"In early May, the Chicago Police Department released figures indicating the city marked a 43 percent decline in the number of murders over the first four months of this year, as compared to the same period last year. For the first quarter of this year, Chicago registered 93 murders, its lowest January-to-April tally since 1963."

Source: The Truth About Chicago's Falling Murder Rate | Blog | Media Matters for America

"It was only the third week of school, and already 12 boys had been killed in gang-related shootings on the south side. Another 42 had been wounded. Shots rang out not just on street corners but in school hallways. In one month, close to four dozen Chicagoans would die in acts of gang violence. This was not last summer. This was 45 summers ago."

Source: A history of gang violence: The Almighty Black P Stone Nation | Lit Feature | Chicago Reader

I remember my uncle telling me about back in the old days when he was in highschool. Yep, you'd have boys turning up dead in the locker room, gettin thrown out the windows of the upper floors, raping girls under the stairwell. During the riot(s) of '68 all the white boys were pulled out of the school unless they wore a shirt that said 'Soul Brother".

Point is, violence is nothing new. I can attest to that I know way too many dead people. I'm glad it's going down.
I'm sure murders in Chicago dropped dramatically compared to the 60's, 70's and 80's. But I guess the murder RATE is worse now in some of those neighborhoods, because, even though those neighborhoods were violent since the 60's, those neighborhoods probably had a waaay higher population of people back then, with heavy crowding, which would justify why they were as bad as they were. With the population loss in some of those neighborhoods like Englewood, folks are perplexed on where most of this murder comes from, if the population is decreasing. Usually population loss=murder decreasing.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:17 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,379 times
Now I see the bias that your speaking palms,you must secretly be from back east because you don't seem to wanna google the facts I'm giving you......

When I say LA is America golden child I'm talking about the Hollywood lifestyle and this luxury image that they wanna keep of LA,but in the ghettos of LA no city in America has more gangs or gang members....I might as well post the FBI link since your scared too.....

And every city ain't as worse as before,I think the chi worse years was in the 70"s or 30"s in the Capone era .....

Today the only city I say that still gotten worse is New Orleans and detroit

Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Now I see the bias that your speaking palms,you must secretly be from back east because you don't seem to wanna google the facts I'm giving you......
That's your responsibility.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:42 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,889 times
Quote:

When I say LA is America golden child I'm talking about the Hollywood lifestyle and this luxury image that they wanna keep of LA,but in the ghettos of LA no city in America has more gangs or gang members....I might as well post the FBI link since your scared too.....

And every city ain't as worse as before,I think the chi worse years was in the 70"s or 30"s in the Capone era .....

Today the only city I say that still gotten worse is New Orleans and detroit
Gang activity is nowhere near as bad as it was and the media is not trying to cover up LA for any reason. LA is one of the most hated cities in America with or without gangs. Most movies, shows that are about gangs are about LA gangs, mostly old and tired stereotypes. Gang activity is leaving the city and has been for a while now. Embrace the new LA. The gang culture is dying.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:21 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
L.A is still gang infested its just the most gang controlled city in the nation......the laws have crippled a lot of the activity from gang injunctions to gang enhancements ,where you can get years for having a gang tattoo or standing on a certain block......NYC & L.A are the most advanced cities so what's happening in those two cities will hit the rest of the country soon......Chicago is a more of a mob city than gang city so the crime is hard to control with all the corruption taking place......
The "mob" people keep talking about and "gangsters" in that sense are dead. I've been here 12 years ago and maybe in the early 2000's you saw the last talkings of the mob, but they don't have anything to do with Chicaog these days in any organized way like they did. The corruption is more cause it's been going on a long time and is cultural. It's little sweetheart deals and people hiring their relatives for jobs - it's not some organized mob action that some group is running the gargabe pickup department or something.

Chicago's crime isn't because of a leadership that doesn't want it to stop because they're involved in the crime - it's because the leadership is focusing far too much on the 21st century Chicago, the downtown, the half of the city that's shiny and new and they've given up on the 1/3 of the city that's run down and the culture there has been driven into the ground that everyone is born into this backwards area where schools mean nothing, you steal to get what you want and you don't care about anything else.

It's the insane culture of those west/south side neighborhoods that are a fraction of the city but drive 75% of the crime that's the problem. Unfortunately it's a human problem and a community problem and the leadership of the city doens't have a ton of options to force people to think a differnet way.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:22 AM

12 posts, read 21,302 times
It's crazy how the city just sweeps everything under the rug. Besides the weekly 25 people wounded by gunshot on the south side this weekend. You probably wouldn't ever hear about it outside chicago. They literally take an active role to limit the media attention. Chicago has alot of native supergangs operating nationally. I grew up thinking oh this gang runs pilsen, little village, englewood, lawndale, etc. It's like a little bubble, and nothing else exists. I would have never known it was as large of a nationwide problem without research.

Most of this is because media shows us that outside it's mostly L.A gangs, which is far from the truth. So many movies about the bloods and crips. I thought that's all there was. We did get some attention from the Chicago Code, but of the many stipulations they were forced to use fake gang and street names. Outside of this all I hear about is statistics.

I feel the attitude is to keep media attention as low as possible and let them kill each other, it'll be gentrified soon. Of course i'm probably biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City