Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:18 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

I find Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and Maryland to be similar - kind of variations on a similar theme.

Maryland just has some more southern influences in certain parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 07:30 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
i find 80% of PA to be like 80% of NY - midwest

Old 06-26-2012, 07:49 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Penn is more like Ohio than Maryland in my opinion. Pretty boring to me.
I really can't imagine how anyone could find PA "boring" in any way shape or form or on any level.
We have beautiful mountains, lakes and rivers that afford four seasons of recreation. We have history from the battlefields of Gettysburg to the the rich history associated with anthracite coal mining.

We have two large and vibrant cities - Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, and several smaller urban areas all of which afford an amazing array of cultural activities and night life.

We are a diverse state and we are home to Quakers, Jews, Protestants, Eastern Othodox, Catholics, Muslims and Mennonites. At out local farmers market along side the vegetables and fruits that our fertile valleys yeild, one can find Pennsylvania Dutch pickles and preserves, Eastern European Poppy rolls and pirogies, pizza and felafel from the Middle East.

I can't see how anyone could ever find PA "boring."

In response to the OP's question, PA is not really similar to either OH or MD.
It's mountainous and possessed of it's own Grand Canyon, so it does not lave the flat terrain that characteristics either the mid west or coastal Maryland; both of which are lovely states in their own right but not very much like PA.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:07 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post
Buffalo is pretty close. Pittsburgh isn't THAT much bigger. There are also a few other 1 million+ metros in New York.
There are three MSAs with 1,000,000+ population in New York (New York, Buffalo, Rochester), and two in Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Pittsburgh). And the Pittsburgh MSA (2,356,285) is much larger than the Buffalo MSA (1,135,509). In fact, it's larger than the Buffalo and Rochester MSAs combined (2,189,832).

The similarities are uncanny, though, with each state having the largest MSA and most of the population in the southeastern part, and a decent-sized cluster in the western part. For that matter, each state also has a deceivingly large MSA in the east-central part: Albany (870,716) and Allentown/Bethlehem (821,173).

Old 06-26-2012, 08:09 PM

168 posts, read 353,205 times
If you are calling Northeastern Ohio "midwestern," you might as well call extreme western PA midwestern as well.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:15 PM

192 posts, read 293,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
To elaborate on what I said earlier, I believe the tangible of Pennsylvania most closely resembles Maryland, while the intangible most closely resembles New York. What I mean by "tangible" is that which we can see, like architecture, built environment, development patterns and infrastructure, and what I mean by "intangible" is that which is less obvious, like the economy, government, culture and attitudes.
I totally agree.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocisful View Post
I totally agree.
Then you must agree that Northeastern Ohio has some strong influences from Pennsylvania and upstate New York, even some southern Ontario in there.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:52 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfrrl View Post
Then you must agree that Northeastern Ohio has some strong influences from Pennsylvania and upstate New York, even some southern Ontario in there.
Northeastern Ohio is Midwest/Great Lakes culture with some southern New England influences. Southwestern Pennsylvania is Northeast/Mid-Atlantic culture with some Appalachian influences. There are some similarities between the two cities, but there are also several differences that are too often understated, and sharing a heavy industrial past and using the term "pop" for carbonated soft drinks doesn't eliminate those differences either.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Northeastern Ohio is Midwest/Great Lakes culture with some southern New England influences. Southwestern Pennsylvania is Northeast/Mid-Atlantic culture with some Appalachian influences. There are some similarities between the two cities, but there are also several differences that are too often understated, and sharing a heavy industrial past and using the term "pop" for carbonated soft drinks doesn't eliminate those differences either.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Southwestern PA does use the term pop according to a carbonated beverage regional map.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:49 PM

33 posts, read 186,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by early90'sbaby View Post
Im not sure I would exactly say that because Baltimore lacks a large a large Italian, Puerto Rican and Dominican population like you will find in the true northeastern cities like New York, Philly and Boston. Now would I call Baltimore southern? Of course not because there are definitely some northern traits.
Baltimore does have Italian and Puerto Rican populations present, though it isnt as large as in Philly, NYC, or Boston... Now DC, on the other hand doesntdoesnt have any viable Italian or PR populations at all. Maybe a few here and there, but definently not enough to call it a population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City