Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sophistication is best synonymous with this one
San Francisco 84 30.11%
Boston 91 32.62%
Philadelphia 35 12.54%
Washington 69 24.73%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:22 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

All these sophisticated people are choking our housing market...

April 2017 County Median Home Price:
San Mateo $1,500,000
San Francisco $1,402,500
Marin $1,325,000
Santa Clara $1,160,000
Alameda $875,000

P.S. this^ is not a good thing. If Alameda County( Oakland) hits $1 Million that's going to be devastating to any chance of us retaining large numbers of middle class families in the future.

I love The City but I also like normal places too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 07:29 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalentedDrinker View Post
I'll take Noam Chomsky over Wall Street/Political scumbags.
Haha touche'.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:14 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Boston
San Francisco
Washington
Philadelphia

Old 05-26-2017, 09:30 AM

^You're off the rails again steeps.

The facts are that Philly has some of the most varied architecture of nearly any city in the country-every century and style in the nation's history represented. You continuously focus on one specific style rowhome you do not like in a city you are not familiar with, ignoring the multitude of other homes throughout the city-usually in threads that have nothing to do with homes, architecture, etc. Some of the poorest neighborhoods in Philly have ornate homes built for the upper class-beautiful woodwork inside, stained glass windows, made of solid stone (from the Wissahickon schist) and brick-much, much more preferable than wood for me-although there are some wood homes here. You like bungalows-many do not. But you do not seem to be participating in the actual topic of the thread.

My neighborhood, Germantown, has some of the most varied architecture in the city:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0222...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0370...7i13312!8i6656

I love this Tudor sitting on several acres with a carriage house.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0293...!7i3328!8i1664

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 05-26-2017 at 09:46 AM..

Old 05-26-2017, 11:52 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
If your trying to lessen or deny any level of relevance to being with Sophistication in some cities? Because Philly might have less? It won't work. Colonel neighborhoods have a Sophistication that later SIMPLE BOX ROW DO NOT Sorry.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As noted by another poster, you have a VERY narrow idea of what YOU find to be "desirable" and "sophisticated." I personally find every style of Philly row to be chock full of character and of great visual interest. In fact, the street view examples you provided remind me yet again of the underrated architectural environment of Philly. The layout is impressive and imposing in a way that you don't find in a typical bungalow or triple-decker neighborhood--it's classically urban on a massive scale. I don't feel the same urban vitality in an area with wider streets and greater green setbacks. That's all there is to it.

You can hold Philly rowhomes in low regard all you want, that's your prerogative. But you cannot frame your opinion as unequivocal truth, and the fact of the matter is MANY people prefer a highly-dense, rowhome-based, Eastern-architected city like Philly over the Midwest. Sorry.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:55 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
DavePa, you should learn how to finish a sentence before you become an authority on architectural sophistication.

It's sickening to see you stalk every philly post for literally YEARS. It ruins the site. Should I reply like you

FYI NO ONE CARES FOR YOUR LOVE OF MIDWESTERN CRACK SHACKS.

SOOORRYY
DERPP WR...SERPzz

Him linking the same stupid ass blocks in North and South Philly is beyond ignorant and stupid
I suggest respectful C-D comments as level-headed or the ignore choice. I standby street-views that show a great portion of Philly's built. IT IS FAIR to highlight Philly's VAST ROW-HOME NEIGHBORHOODS. Plenty gentrifying.

This Chart Proves Philadelphia Is the King of the Rowhome

Coming from a Philadelphian to bring up Crack Shacks could have me show some street-views. But that I won't stoop too. Chicago at least it cleared out worst blight and is quick to board-up abandoned and condemned properties.

This thread is on the opposite in --->Sophistication. I could pick a unlimited amount od row-home street-views North to South Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
You're off the rails again steeps.

The facts are that Philly has some of the most varied architecture of nearly any city in the country-every century and style in the nation's history represented. You continuously focus on one specific style rowhome you do not like in a city you are not familiar with, ignoring the multitude of other homes throughout the city-usually in threads that have nothing to do with homes, architecture, etc. Some of the poorest neighborhoods in Philly have ornate homes built for the upper class-beautiful woodwork inside, stained glass windows, made of solid stone (from the Wissahickon schist) and brick-much, much more preferable than wood for me-although there are some wood homes here. You like bungalows-many do not. But you do not seem to be participating in the actual topic of the thread.

My neighborhood, Germantown, has some of the most varied architecture in the city:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0222...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0370...7i13312!8i6656

I love this Tudor sitting on several acres with a carriage house.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0293...!7i3328!8i1664
My street-views are a valid kind of Philly's homes it chose for its masses. Plenty of these areas are gentrifying and in Philly forums promoted as the NEW PHILLY. Why is it to be downplayed here?

Philly is 60% rows. Its the bread n Butter choice of much of the city. Each city has a housing that DEFINES IT. Germantown is Lovely in mansions of Philly. Every city has its elite neighbohoods and its Blue-Collar working-class ones that define a majority.

Others brought up CHICAGO'S BUNGALOW-BELT built 1910-1940. As 1/3 of the city it is significant. Its workers-cottage home defined the city's blue-collar neighborhoods before it turned to the bungalows.
I defended Chicago's bungalow belt as with Sophistication as HOUSING FOR THE MASSES. that does not even include its 50s 60s neighborhoods of mid-century varieties.

- I find the BUNGALOW BELT AS a far more Sophisticated standard blue-collar housing over the choice of Row-homes I addressed. These Row-Home neighborhoods are AT LEAST a 1/3 of Philly today too.

To show this 1/3 (at least) COMMON HOUSING of these 2 Great American cities is valid. Boston chose Triple-Decker's when Chicago chose its Bungalow varieties as LA chose its bungalow varieties. LA left them for the Ranch-style home. Chicago continued the bungalow-types though its 50s 60s varieties get called bungalow-ranch and Tudor-Bungalow. The TUDOR-BUNGALOW (gingerbread) I love these most. But not a large % overall to boast of.

Most of us know the LOVELY Colonial Center City neighborhoods. The far Northern parts like a suburban city in a forest setting and canopy. The western parts too with more setbacks with green.

But Philly is heavily tight-knit Rows especially north and south of CC. These are its heart and soul. Why the city built this way is your History. No one visits gentrifying Fishtown or Kensington and soooo many other tight neighborhoods and say Great Sophistication in housing and architecture.

No one can visit all these neighborhoods. But street-views do not hide the built, look and green-frontage level of these areas. Nothing close to LOVELY Germantown parts. Philly PRIDED ITSELF in ALL could own a Basic Row-Home. Subdividing blocks to get in more Row-Homes to mass-produce for Mill workers was its Bread n Butter.

I merely note a preference to other cities who chose close-knit unattached more singles. Set a street-grid with more set-backs for green and Chose close-knit Craftsmen Bungalows with front-lawn look set-backs over tight-knit Box variety Row-homes.

The thread is on which looks more "Sophisticated". I gave my opinion street-views are accurate for a good portion of Greater CC and inner-loop neighborhoods till you get till the far North, South and Western regions of the city.

Many applaud gentrification of these tight-knit row neighborhoods as a CREDIT TO PHILLYS URBAN MAKE-UP. Philly Magazine documents that the STANDARD PHILLY ROW-HOUSE RULES.

Philly embraces its row-home history and promoted the basic Box-row at the Chicago Colombian Exposition.

- In 1893, city promoters embraced this characterization when, at the World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago, they constructed a simple brick row house described as a “model Philadelphia house.” The cost for such a building was approximately $2500.

- For reformers and city promoters, the row house also presented social and economic benefits for the city and its residents that they often emphasized. The relatively low cost of $2,500 to purchase a modest row house reminded visitors at the Exposition and readers of catalogs and magazines that the dwelling was affordable for most, and Philadelphia was well-known for its high rate of homeownership. The row houses’ popularity in Philadelphia consequently earned it the slogan the “City of Homes.”

Row Houses | Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia

* You can say ME HIGHLIGHTING PHILLY'S COMMON BOX ROWS is exaggerating? Or downplay them as the city has other great neighborhoods too. But you really can't claim they are not a HUGE FOOTPRINT OF THE CITY. I merely highlighted it with street-views.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-26-2017 at 12:08 PM..

Old 05-26-2017, 01:29 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro
I don't see how anybody could say Philly is anything but last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol precisely Philly per capita comes no where close to the others listed on "sophistication". The other three are close.
There was a reason I avoided this thread for 6 years but I'll go ahead and finally parachute into this swamp.

Not a fan of using per capita stats in these arguments especially not when used in a condescending nature . Philadelphias economic lifespan evolved much differently then DC-SF- and even Boston.

DC + SF economic history is vastly different than Phila.. Boston is somewhat similar but did not have nearly the industrial prowess and post industrial blight/decline of Philly.

Admittedly none of the cities in this comparison has near-the-baggage of Philadelphia but that doesnt mean Philadelphia plays second fiddle to any of these cities in regards to sophistication. Center City is highly sophisticated. The surrounding region is highly sophisticated.

The last article I read(2015) I believe Philadlephia was ahead of Boston in amount of millionaire households. NOt too far behind SF, Dc was the wealthiest of these 4 metroes.

The restaurant scene, cultural scene, entertainment scene of Philadelphia is certainly not 8 tiers below the others as some posters are trying to portray.

Last edited by rainrock; 05-26-2017 at 01:57 PM..

Old 05-26-2017, 02:30 PM

149 posts, read 153,974 times
Looks like people prefer the Philadelphia rowhome to the Boston triple decker. Maybe a similar one can be made for the Chicago bungalow.

Philadelphia has among the most varied architecture of any US city though, and I have no horse in the race.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...on-triple.html

Old 05-26-2017, 02:33 PM

149 posts, read 153,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
All these sophisticated people are choking our housing market...

April 2017 County Median Home Price:
San Mateo $1,500,000
San Francisco $1,402,500
Marin $1,325,000
Santa Clara $1,160,000
Alameda $875,000

P.S. this^ is not a good thing. If Alameda County( Oakland) hits $1 Million that's going to be devastating to any chance of us retaining large numbers of middle class families in the future.

I love The City but I also like normal places too.

People actually like this stuff though. It's very short-sighted.

Pushing out "undesirables" so rich white people can be more segregated is the subtle undercurrent of these threads.

Boston is the best example of how badly income inequality and segregation are, and their bubble is gonna burst at some point.

Call it sophistication. I call it ****ing stupid.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I suggest respectful C-D comments as level-headed or the ignore choice. I standby street-views that show a great portion of Philly's built. IT IS FAIR to highlight Philly's VAST ROW-HOME NEIGHBORHOODS. Plenty gentrifying.

Coming from a Philadelphian to bring up Crack Shacks could have me show some street-views. But that I won't stoop too. Chicago at least it cleared out worst blight and is quick to board-up abandoned and condemned properties.

This thread is on the opposite in --->Sophistication. I could pick a unlimited amount od row-home street-views North to South Philly.

My street-views are a valid kind of Philly's homes it chose for its masses. Plenty of these areas are gentrifying and in Philly forums promoted as the NEW PHILLY. Why is it to be downplayed here?

Philly is 60% rows. Its the bread n Butter choice of much of the city. Each city has a housing that DEFINES IT. Germantown is Lovely in mansions of Philly. Every city has its elite neighbohoods and its Blue-Collar working-class ones that define a majority.

Others brought up CHICAGO'S BUNGALOW-BELT built 1910-1940. As 1/3 of the city it is significant. Its workers-cottage home defined the city's blue-collar neighborhoods before it turned to the bungalows.
I defended Chicago's bungalow belt as with Sophistication as HOUSING FOR THE MASSES. that does not even include its 50s 60s neighborhoods of mid-century varieties.

- I find the BUNGALOW BELT AS a far more Sophisticated standard blue-collar housing over the choice of Row-homes I addressed. These Row-Home neighborhoods are AT LEAST a 1/3 of Philly today too.

To show this 1/3 (at least) COMMON HOUSING of these 2 Great American cities is valid. Boston chose Triple-Decker's when Chicago chose its Bungalow varieties as LA chose its bungalow varieties. LA left them for the Ranch-style home. Chicago continued the bungalow-types though its 50s 60s varieties get called bungalow-ranch and Tudor-Bungalow. The TUDOR-BUNGALOW (gingerbread) I love these most. But not a large % overall to boast of.

Most of us know the LOVELY Colonial Center City neighborhoods. The far Northern parts like a suburban city in a forest setting and canopy. The western parts too with more setbacks with green.

But Philly is heavily tight-knit Rows especially north and south of CC. These are its heart and soul. Why the city built this way is your History. No one visits gentrifying Fishtown or Kensington and soooo many other tight neighborhoods and say Great Sophistication in housing and architecture.

No one can visit all these neighborhoods. But street-views do not hide the built, look and green-frontage level of these areas. Nothing close to LOVELY Germantown parts. Philly PRIDED ITSELF in ALL could own a Basic Row-Home. Subdividing blocks to get in more Row-Homes to mass-produce for Mill workers was its Bread n Butter.

I merely note a preference to other cities who chose close-knit unattached more singles. Set a street-grid with more set-backs for green and Chose close-knit Craftsmen Bungalows with front-lawn look set-backs over tight-knit Box variety Row-homes.

The thread is on which looks more "Sophisticated". I gave my opinion street-views are accurate for a good portion of Greater CC and inner-loop neighborhoods till you get till the far North, South and Western regions of the city.

Many applaud gentrification of these tight-knit row neighborhoods as a CREDIT TO PHILLYS URBAN MAKE-UP. Philly Magazine documents that the STANDARD PHILLY ROW-HOUSE RULES.

Philly embraces its row-home history and promoted the basic Box-row at the Chicago Colombian Exposition.

- In 1893, city promoters embraced this characterization when, at the World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago, they constructed a simple brick row house described as a “model Philadelphia house.” The cost for such a building was approximately $2500.

- For reformers and city promoters, the row house also presented social and economic benefits for the city and its residents that they often emphasized. The relatively low cost of $2,500 to purchase a modest row house reminded visitors at the Exposition and readers of catalogs and magazines that the dwelling was affordable for most, and Philadelphia was well-known for its high rate of homeownership. The row houses’ popularity in Philadelphia consequently earned it the slogan the “City of Homes.”

Row Houses | Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia

* You can say ME HIGHLIGHTING PHILLY'S COMMON BOX ROWS is exaggerating? Or downplay them as the city has other great neighborhoods too. But you really can't claim they are not a HUGE FOOTPRINT OF THE CITY. I merely highlighted it with street-views.
Yeah-but rowhomes are varied in themselves. There are so many different kinds-from 2/3 bedroom brick rows on tiny streets-the workers home-the ones you don't seem to like, but I love the utter urbanity and look of the solid brick, especially when up kept and ornate which many are even in the poorest neighborhoods. Then there are 4 story brownstones, all kinds of porchfront rows (Philly seems to have more porches than most cities-which for me is a necessity in a home), 1950s airlites with garages and finished basements, etc., etc. And then of course over a third of homes are not rowhomes at all, but twins-some that function as rows and some that function more as singles, and singles and apartments. But many here prefer rowhomes.

That's interesting you prefer triple deckers over rowhomes-IMO it is MUCH more preferable to have neighbors on either side of you then to have them on top or below you, like in apartment buildings or triple deckers. I think the rowhome is the great urban compromise-and works beautifully in Philadelphia. Maybe you can re-vive my thread on rowhomes/triple deckers and see how others feel about bungalows as another poster noted.

Also, Germantown is not an "elite" neighborhood-quite the contrary. Maybe you are thinking of Chestnut Hill or East Falls-where the Princess Grace of Monaco was raised? That is my point-that much of the beautiful architecture in Philadelphia is in poor neighborhoods waiting to be re-vived. It is exciting to see it happen.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 05-28-2017 at 08:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City