Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sophistication is best synonymous with this one
San Francisco 84 30.11%
Boston 91 32.62%
Philadelphia 35 12.54%
Washington 69 24.73%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 06:37 PM

90 posts, read 208,062 times

Advertisements

In my order:

1. SF
2. DC
3. Boston
4. Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 08:31 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The nouveau riche aren't nearly as sophisticated as they think they are. For that reason, the list can only be correct with Washington DC at the bottom.
But what about transplanted old money? Because there's quite a bit of that.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:51 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
The nouveau riche aren't nearly as sophisticated as they think they are. For that reason, the list can only be correct with Washington DC at the bottom.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
It's not even a comparison! The Smithsonian Complex versus........ what? Plus DC has 60 other non Smithsonian Museums in a two mile area like the Holocaust Museum, which has an incredible endowment and also hosts many events. Let's take museums out of the equation for a moment and look at embassies. 300 embassies that host parties and cultural gatherings all year long. The embassy of Brazil just had a pre-Olympic party. What about media? DC is home to CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, BET, NPR, Radio Free Asia, CSPAN, BBC, Al Jezeera, Discover Channel, National Geographic, etc.... Each of these media outlets hosts parties throughout the city. 100's of Think tanks, Associations, world institutions like the IMF, World Bank, etc... How can DC not lead this list. I didn't even mention politcial organizations.

ABC FOX CBS are headquartered in New York. All of NBC is owned by Comcast in Philadelphia. CNN is in Atlanta. So Philadelphia and New York control the Media not DC.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:38 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Philly ahead of DC. Please. I've lived in DC and Philly. No comparison. The JFK center for the performing arts vs the Kimmel Center. Seriously? Philly is dead last. I know that Philly has these hometown boosters that have moved all over the country and pine for the city, but it ain't all that. Once you move here you will notice that almost every person here to a man was born and raised here. No one moves here except for a very few due to job or spouse reasons.
Hey. It's cool for you to express negative opinions, but it's not cool to post incorrect facts. There are a LOT of people who live here who grew up elsewhere. Not the majority of the population, of course, but many including me and most of the people I know here. Perhaps not in the neighborhood where you lived, but you have to take the metro as a whole.

Strongly held negative feelings about a city are not a substitute for facts.

Back to topic.....I'd say taking the city limits alone, NY comes first, Boston, DC and Philly last. Taking the metros, NY still comes first, then Philly, DC and Boston are all kind of in the running for number two, just in different ways (old vs new, etc)

Old 09-03-2012, 01:55 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I know that Philly has these hometown boosters that have moved all over the country and pine for the city, but it ain't all that. Once you move here you will notice that almost every person here to a man was born and raised here. No one moves here except for a very few due to job or spouse reasons.
Yeah, nobody moves to Philadelphia.

Oops, you're wrong!

Hey, look! It's your credibility!

Well, it was at least.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:19 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Hard to split SF, DC, and Boston from first place. Give them all a trophy.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:23 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,415 times
San Francisco
DC
Boston

in that order

Old 09-04-2012, 02:13 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Yeah, nobody moves to Philadelphia.

Oops, you're wrong!

Hey, look! It's your credibility!

Well, it was at least.

Really? Here take a look at the the net outflow from the city. People are still leaving the city, and those moving in are from the burbs. There is no great inflow from people in other parts of the US. Hometown, blue collar Philly, that is this city in a nutshell.

Destination Philadelphia: Tracking the City's Migration Trends - The Pew Charitable Trusts

Old 09-04-2012, 07:03 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Well said.

ABC FOX CBS are headquartered in New York. All of NBC is owned by Comcast in Philadelphia. CNN is in Atlanta. So Philadelphia and New York control the Media not DC.
I didn't say they were headquartered in DC. CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, & FOX are also in DC. Philly controls the media? LMAO.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:35 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Well said.

NY controls the media. While NBC is based in Philadelphia since Comcast bought them, their main face is still in NYC.

Besides, NBC is easily the weakest network when compared to CBS, ABC and even FOX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City