Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sophistication is best synonymous with this one
San Francisco 84 30.11%
Boston 91 32.62%
Philadelphia 35 12.54%
Washington 69 24.73%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 11:32 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think "far more" is much more generous than you realize. As I stated before, at a metro level, Philly still ranks highly on wealth and educational levels in a global and national context, though it happens to rank fourth amongst this group.
With regards to wealth we already know the hierarchy of median income in these already, but here you have city budgets:

New York, NY $73 billion
Washington DC $10 billion
San Francisco $10 billion
Los Angeles $8 billion
Chicago $7 billion
Seattle $4 billion
Phoenix $4 billion
Houston $4 billion
Philadelphia $4 billion
Boston $3 billion

Top 20 U.S. Cities by Budget

Pretty wide gap, but I do understand the "fairness" or lack there of due to DC being the capital. Still all of this contributes to assets and amenities within a city which in turn brings back to the same discussion of "sophistication".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 11:37 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

I think metrics related to "global connectedness" are bit murkier in Philly's case, as even though it doesn't have the same level of direct flights and international visitation as the former three. It's still very central to the Northeast Corridor, which makes the easy visitation via rail and road from nearby very major international hubs (NYC and DC areas) can be very hard to capture.

Again, you can factor-in such things as wealth, formal education, and globalization, to sophistication, but those are just the superficial factors, and rather biased based on a Western understanding of "sophistication" at that. There's a social nuance to sophistication that can be hard to capture.
This is true, and Philly does have a location advantage and crisis at the same time. There are some advantages for example I was looking for direct flights to Madrid, the best and easiest option was Philly out of either NY, DC, or Philadelphia. Although I chose to go from DC and layover in London instead for my convenience.

I also fully agree with your last sentence.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:06 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtutaaa View Post
These people who think D.C. is some super sophisticated city should look at where most of the new comer's are coming from, most are from really remote areas of the west or deep south . Not my idea of cosmopolitan ,so yes they think D.C. is the center of the universe . Take a person born and raised in New York , Philadelphia ,Boston or Chicago and D.C. feels small and self centric .
Philly looses sophistication quickly outside of Center City and quaint Colonial neighborhoods. Philly's built as predominately tight full blocks of row-housing lowers --- appearances of sophistication. Power-lines and poles prevalent do not help.

Everyone loves Victorians, brownstones, graystone, and brick rows with added trimmings and architectural trimmings. Much less for simple solid rows very plain though gutted and contemporary inside. Even NYC's tenements have exteriors of much architectural features.

Philly prided itself in able to build row-homes affordable to all. Including the lowest classes. Philly billed itself as a city of the future at the Chicago Columbian Exposition Worlds Fair. Displaying a common affordable row-home. Too many times they lacked the sophistication of the Craftsman of the eras. Built for affordability yet profits to investors.

Much of the city was built as a assembly-line constructing blocks of row-homes. Then old to the masses.

All realize there is much more to sophistication then housing styles and street-level look. But it does effect the scope of overall sophistication cities give off. Especially to non-residents. A cities core will be key to how the city is perceived overall. But how its even gentrified neighborhoods in appearances is perceived? Can lower a SENSE OF OVERALL SOPHISTICATION.

The more that these row-homes have distinction in each residence adds a uniqueness to the block. (my opinion) Too many times gentrification REMOVES the added features of past owners in painting, awnings, porches and even shutters. Usually they get sandblasted to the plain brick along the whole block and a WALL of mostly indistinguishable residences are the result. Though insides were gutted and sophisticated.

Lessening DC does not add to Philly's level of Sophistication. Just DC's scope as the US Capital adds a Big level of Sophistication to me.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:36 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Philly looses sophistication quickly outside of Center City and quaint Colonial neighborhoods. Philly's built as predominately tight full blocks of row-housing lowers --- appearances of sophistication. Power-lines and poles prevalent do not help.

Everyone loves Victorians, brownstones, graystone, and brick rows with added trimmings and architectural trimmings. Much less for simple solid rows very plain though gutted and contemporary inside. Even NYC's tenements have exteriors of much architectural features.

Philly prided itself in able to build row-homes affordable to all. Including the lowest classes. Philly billed itself as a city of the future at the Chicago Columbian Exposition Worlds Fair. Displaying a common affordable row-home. Too many times they lacked the sophistication of the Craftsman of the eras. Built for affordability yet profits to investors.

Much of the city was built as a assembly-line constructing blocks of row-homes. Then old to the masses.
As you note architecture is but one facet of "sophistication," and perhaps the most superficial of all. But as you've brought up this point before, I'm not sure why you believe affordable, less ornate housing for the "masses" is somehow unique to Philly. Once you leave the poshest sections of any city, you're going to find much more of the standardized modest housing. That's true in New York (miles upon miles of plain tenements and rows) Chicago (the "bungalow belt" dominates) Boston (triple-decker capital), SF (not everything looks like Nob Hill)- you name it. Still, as I've also pointed out before, even the workforce housing of the past in Philly would be considered luxury by today's standards. Fully solid, hand-laid brick is classically attractive, even in less ornate form, and widely appealing.

Not to mention, today's most "sophisticated" modern architecture, tends to be as minimalist and with as little complex onramentation as possible.

I will say that DC is actually unique amongst large American cities in that it historically had the smallest working class component, so I don't think any city comes close, on a per capita level, for most ornate and impressive housing stock.

Last edited by Duderino; 05-24-2017 at 04:59 PM..

Old 05-25-2017, 02:23 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
With regards to wealth we already know the hierarchy of median income in these already, but here you have city budgets:

New York, NY $73 billion
Washington DC $10 billion
San Francisco $10 billion
Los Angeles $8 billion
Chicago $7 billion
Seattle $4 billion
Phoenix $4 billion
Houston $4 billion
Philadelphia $4 billion
Boston $3 billion

Top 20 U.S. Cities by Budget

Pretty wide gap, but I do understand the "fairness" or lack there of due to DC being the capital. Still all of this contributes to assets and amenities within a city which in turn brings back to the same discussion of "sophistication".
DC's budget is off my 3 billion dollars. $13B.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:24 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtutaaa View Post
These people who think D.C. is some super sophisticated city should look at where most of the new comer's are coming from, most are from really remote areas of the west or deep south . Not my idea of cosmopolitan ,so yes they think D.C. is the center of the universe . Take a person born and raised in New York , Philadelphia ,Boston or Chicago and D.C. feels small and self centric .
Philly sophistication is an oxymoron. LOL

Old 05-25-2017, 07:30 PM

149 posts, read 153,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Right. Because the last three decades have clearly been the nadir of Western civilization.

Neoliberalist policy has gutted the working class since the late 70's, and look where we're headed. That's a good place to start. Wake the **** up.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
What a smug thread.

What do you expect from a thread where SF, Boston and DC are the top three vote getters?

They can have them. I'll take Philadelphia and Chicago any day.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post

I'll take Noam Chomsky over Wall Street/Political scumbags.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:18 PM

313 posts, read 337,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
This whole thing about sophistication , first the meaning it self is revolting , to alter deceptively ; to deprive of genuineness or naturalness . So yes maybe D.C. is of that nature of sophistication .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City