Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sophistication is best synonymous with this one
San Francisco 84 30.11%
Boston 91 32.62%
Philadelphia 35 12.54%
Washington 69 24.73%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Really? Here take a look at the the net outflow from the city. People are still leaving the city, and those moving in are from the burbs. There is no great inflow from people in other parts of the US. Hometown, blue collar Philly, that is this city in a nutshell.

Destination Philadelphia: Tracking the City's Migration Trends - The Pew Charitable Trusts
There are a lot of people moving here from all over the country. Sure there are people moving in from the suburbs as well... but they are also replaced by people moving in from other parts of the country. It's funny that you posted an article from 2010. From 2010-2011, the city added 10k people. The city will also be adding roughly 10k more people between 2011-2012. The Philadelphia suburbs is also growing.... so how could both the suburbs and the city both be growing if people are just moving to the city from the suburbs?

Stop being so negative, the whole region is growing. Not one county in the metro is losing people. They are all growing positively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I didn't say they were headquartered in DC. CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, & FOX are also in DC. Philly controls the media? LMAO.
Technically Comcast controls NBC, even if they are still based in New York... so yes, Philly controls a portion of the media while New York controls the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 09:21 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
There are a lot of people moving here from all over the country. Sure there are people moving in from the suburbs as well... but they are also replaced by people moving in from other parts of the country. It's funny that you posted an article from 2010. From 2010-2011, the city added 10k people. The city will also be adding roughly 10k more people between 2011-2012. The Philadelphia suburbs is also growing.... so how could both the suburbs and the city both be growing if people are just moving to the city from the suburbs?

Stop being so negative, the whole region is growing. Not one county in the metro is losing people. They are all growing positively.

Technically Comcast controls NBC, even if they are still based in New York... so yes, Philly controls a portion of the media while New York controls the rest.
My deductive reasoning won't allow me to even fathom this. Most news organizations report from NYC or DC. CNN is headquartered in Atlanta but they do a large percentage of their reporting from DC. Just like FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc.... Comcast owns NBC but all of their national reporting comes from NYC or DC. No one is standing on the street in Philly saying..... This is so and so reporting from Philadelphia unless it's a local story or a local affiliate. That's the difference.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:29 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
My deductive reasoning won't allow me to even fathom this. Most news organizations report from NYC or DC. CNN is headquartered in Atlanta but they do a large percentage of their reporting from DC. Just like FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc.... Comcast owns NBC but all of their national reporting comes from NYC or DC. No one is standing on the street in Philly saying..... This is so and so reporting from Philadelphia unless it's a local story or a local affiliate. That's the difference.
Okay just because they report from one place, doesn't mean they aren't controlled somewhere else. Everything that is happening right now with NBC is being controlled by the head honchos sitting in Comcast Center in Philadelphia..... sure DC is present in the media often, but it certainly does not control it. ABC, FOX and CBS are headquartered in New York. NBC is headquartered in Philadelphia. It doesn't matter what you WANT to believe, that's the way it is, accept it.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
I'd rank Washington first because they have museums and crap to look at, Boston would be next because of the Kennedy's, third would be Philly cuz of that Rocky statue and last one was San Francisco because they copy stuff from everywhere else and aren't very cultured as all their good stuff got wrecked in the earthquake I think.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:22 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
NY controls the media. While NBC is based in Philadelphia since Comcast bought them, their main face is still in NYC.

Besides, NBC is easily the weakest network when compared to CBS, ABC and even FOX.
Also NBC universal includes some 10 or 15 other entertainment channels, it may be the weakest of the the main media networks, but its still a major television network controlled in Philadelphia.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Okay just because they report from one place, doesn't mean they aren't controlled somewhere else. Everything that is happening right now with NBC is being controlled by the head honchos sitting in Comcast Center in Philadelphia..... sure DC is present in the media often, but it certainly does not control it. ABC, FOX and CBS are headquartered in New York. NBC is headquartered in Philadelphia. It doesn't matter what you WANT to believe, that's the way it is, accept it.
Is this about where something is controled or where there is actually something to report? For instance, fashion or music reporters go to NYC and LA to report on entertainment. In relation to the question, sophistication typically follows money. Then it follows power. That really only leaves DC in this group. In the U.S., the top tier would be Washington DC, New York City, and Los Angeles. They have the most money and power combined. How can anyone argue this? They are the world's representation for money and power in this country and all the world follows what happens in these cities. What other city on this list would be in this tier? What exactly goes on in Boston, Philadelphia, or San Francisco that would place them with DC, NYC, or LA for sophistication? They aren't full of lobbyist or wall street traders or entertainers so what is their claim to fame?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:02 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Is this about where something is controled or where there is actually something to report? For instance, fashion or music reporters go to NYC and LA to report on entertainment. In relation to the question, sophistication typically follows money. Then it follows power. That really only leaves DC in this group. In the U.S., the top tier would be Washington DC, New York City, and Los Angeles. They have the most money and power combined. How can anyone argue this? They are the world's representation for money and power in this country and all the world follows what happens in these cities. What other city on this list would be in this tier? What exactly goes on in Boston, Philadelphia, or San Francisco that would place them with DC, NYC, or LA for sophistication? They aren't full of lobbyist or wall street traders or entertainers so what is their claim to fame?
Are lobbyist the pesronification of sophistication. My how far our country has fallen...

Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Are lobbyist the pesronification of sophistication. My how far our country has fallen...

Lobbyist, Senators, Lawyers, "PHD this PHD that" are pretty much what makes DC tick. It's an extremly rich button up city. Many people hate DC for this very reason but it makes DC a very sophisticated society. The power brokers in DC are some of the most dangerous in the world. It kind of is what it is.........

Old 09-05-2012, 09:39 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
My sentiments exactly. If grovelling lobbyists, whorish politicians, blood-thirsty defense contractors and the Wall Street traders that keep this house of cards taped together are the standard for "sophistication", I will certainly be proud to call Philadelphia the least sophisticated city in America.

To me, Boston has always been the most "sophisticated" city, due to it being the educational capital of the World.
San Francisco is like the modern version of sophistication, ushering in the new-era of communication technology and quality local/organic food.
Philadelphia personified is modest, honest, hard-working, and value/tradition oriented with the history, education and culture to back it up. To me, qualities of sophistication.

My top 3

Boston
San Francisco
Philadelphia

NYC
and
DC do not deserve to be mentioned, although I did anyway hah.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 09-05-2012 at 10:23 AM..

Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Boston
DC
Philly
SF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City